Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with saddlebag lid open

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 02:57 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
...and polish the insides of your fenders!
Who gets on first in that situation?

Beary

Old 07-19-2016, 03:10 PM
Emil Wide Glide
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Open Saddlebags

I have Tsukayu Harley-like patrol hard bags and did not realize that they had to be locked, not just latched. It did some harm to the hardware. Do you have to lock the Harley bags from keeping them from opening?

Old 07-19-2016, 03:52 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil Wide Glide
I have Tsukayu Harley-like patrol hard bags and did not realize that they had to be locked, not just latched. It did some harm to the hardware. Do you have to lock the Harley bags from keeping them from opening?
No, you certainly do NOT have to lock the sidecases to prevent them from opening, but I can see the procedure being a double-check that the bags are indeed latched [otherwise you would not be able to lock them].

Old 07-19-2016, 04:12 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

After leaving my bag open a second time I stuck a little piece of blue tape on may inner fairing to remind myself to check the lids. Worked so far.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:15 PM
zeke7142003
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't feel as stupid now as I did last week. I'm glad I'm not the only one this happened to.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:57 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,525 Likes on 1,306 Posts

About a week ago, I pulled in behind a Heritage. Right side saddlebag top was flapping open. I honked, pulled beside him, pointed, grabbed my own lid and acting like I was trying to open it. He waved. Finally, after another mile or so, the light bulb came on and he looked down at his lid....oh, that is what you were trying to tell me.

On my shovelhead, slot in front, clip in back to hold on lid. Forgot to clip, lid sailed off. It was run over by car before I could stop and get back to it. Move ahead 8 years, Evo HS, same type of slot and clip. I did same thing and lid was run over. I always wondered why buttered bread always lands buttered side down and why my lids always landed right in the path of a tire.

Now on both bikes I knew the lid could fly off, so I was always very careful......well except once with each bike. Happened after leaving a biker bar. Taco Thursday. That might have been a contributing factor.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:09 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
Get one of these to hold down the lids:

With that load, I'd be more worried about breaking the frame then a saddlebag lid opening up.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:47 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

My 08 bag would always pop ope . I'd lock it. I've stuffed my bags and had what's left on my lap. Side note. Love my new 16 bags.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:48 PM
CDOwl
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, now I feel better... Looks like I've hit a rite of passage in HD ownership. Bought my RKC from a friend 100 miles away and trailered the beauty home. On the way down the turnpike, as I was sputtering about the sudden rain shower and the fact that I didn't cover the bike before I left (it was absolutely pristine before the drive...). I was startled by the squeaky noise outside the truck. I immediately did the "look around" to see if I could figure out where the noise came from and noticed a Massachusetts State Trooper outside the window, close enough to lock mirrors with me. I rolled the window down and he politely informed me that my passenger side saddle bag lid was flapping in the wind. I have to assume that he was a rider because he never mentioned the fact that the trailer wasn't registered!

In a later post, I'll share the joy of what I assume to be another ritual; the "Lay it down gently while parking it" maneuver...

Old 07-19-2016, 09:19 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by hAkron
When I got my speaker lids, I had to leave one of the stock lids with my painter to color match. I rode around for a week with only one lid.
Saw a guy riding around for better part of a year with only a left bag. His bike was maroon. The right one was missing.

Quick Reply: Riding with saddlebag lid open