Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary and Transmission oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:43 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts
Smile Primary and Transmission oil

Looking for a bit of advice. All you guys/gals have been really helpful to me so far and I can't thank you all enough!

I want to change out the primary and transmission oil on my '07 Electra Glide UC.

First off, my BIL, who has been working on HDs his entire life(I think he was born with a Harley Davidson birthmark somewhere on him, but I digress). He swears by Amsoil 20W50 synth. He tells me it's ok to use it as primary oil and transmission oil. I don't want to second guess or disagree with him, but I'd like some opinions.

What do you guys think?

Old 08-18-2016, 10:34 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

He's right. It is perfectly OK to use it as primary and trans oil. There are also dozens of other oils or combinations of oils that are also OK to use. If you do a search here or go to the oil thread you will find about 5000 other opinions where nobody is really wrong.

The following users liked this post:
ElectraJim (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Aces and 8s
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

It's OK.

The SEARCH tool is your friend, BTW. You'll get all the answers to any question (just about) that you could ever need.

That being said, I use red line syn in the engine, redline tranny in the tranny, and redline gear in the primary. But that is just me.

ElectraJim (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 10:51 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dribble
He's right. It is perfectly OK to use it as primary and trans oil. There are also dozens of other oils or combinations of oils that are also OK to use. If you do a search here or go to the oil thread you will find about 5000 other opinions where nobody is really wrong.
Awesome! Thank you very much!

Originally Posted by Aces and 8s
It's OK.

The SEARCH tool is your friend, BTW. You'll get all the answers to any question (just about) that you could ever need.

That being said, I use red line syn in the engine, redline tranny in the tranny, and redline gear in the primary. But that is just me.
Ya, I know, I'm lazy.

Guess I'll have to do a little research on red line. I've heard of it, but don't know much about it.

Thanks again!

Old 08-18-2016, 11:02 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Aces and 8s
It's OK.

Is that GEAR OIL in the primary? Might want to check the ingredients to see if any are hard on copper electrical windings

Old 08-18-2016, 11:10 AM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 261 Likes on 223 Posts

If you want to use same in all 3 holes that is one of the best for it .

ElectraJim (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 11:55 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by xcbullet
If you want to use same in all 3 holes that is one of the best for it .
Thank you very much!

Old 08-18-2016, 12:22 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Amsoil is over priced and over rated. I have tried Amsoil and Mobil 1 in the engine, transmission and primary of my bike. I could tell no difference between the two in how the bike ran. The only difference is Amsoil is more expensive and is harder to find. Just my opinion.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:26 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

yes, you can use it in your primary. but why? it is way too expensive to use, it's overkill.

my recipe?

primary: shell rotella t 10w-40 ($15.00 per gal), change at 5k interval. along with clutch adjustment, unless you have a hydraulic clutch, no adj. necessary.

transmission: whatever gear oil is on sale. change at rec. 20k interval. currently running supertech synthetic 75-90. yes, that's walmart oil. it's mfg by citgo. if you read bobistheoilguy.com you'll see that it has good used oil analysis on it.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:52 PM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I get the harley primary oil for the primary and I like Lucas 85-140 for the tranny. Can get the lucas at Advance auto.

(I love oil threads....)

Quick Reply: Primary and Transmission oil