Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Milwaukee-8 Castration of the Harley rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 12:50 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 237 Posts

There are many different types of riders out there of course, to each their own. We all have different motivations for riding... scenery, escapism, hot rodding etc..
So for those on this thread who keep wondering why heavily mod a harley? Why not buy a hayabusa argument? Here's a little explanation of the appeal.

My hopped up 107 dyna has frequently hung with 600 plus cc rice burners on 1/4 mile light to light sprints. This same dyna is a soon to be maxed out 124ci, so not hard to see coming result. And I add, it's not my need to smoke every willing party. I would be more than happy to be the only vehicle on the road, and often ride places to do just that. I ride for many reasons, sometimes laid back, sometimes aggressive. So why a fast harley? Why go through the trouble?

1. heavily modified parts = pricey
2. modest wrenching skills = covered
3. reaction of rice burner
being smoked = priceless

And doing it on a heavy bagger, even more rewarding. So I'm pulling
for the M8(because I want one). and a subdued EFA please.

Last edited by ntraindavefl; 08-30-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:22 PM
klc997
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Apples and oranges. Harley didn't get smacked for selling the tuner, they got smacked for delivering new motorcycles that were non-compliant with federal emissions and noise laws.
Exactly. Harley wanted to get slapped. Stops the flow of money to the aftermarket vendors (at least for awhile) and gets the money flowing into Harley's "EPA compliant parts". How come Harley was able release a Screamin Eagle catalog with everything in it being compliant, one week after the settlement? I'll tell you you why, they knew this was coming. I have no doubt Harley has been working on this for a long time and when they were ready, TOLD the EPA to announce the slap on the wrist settlement.

In the grand scheme of things, motorcycles do not warrant the time and effort of the EPA. There are many more real hazards they could be fighting. The ONLY reason motorcycle non compliance is a big deal now is because someone wanted it to be, and that someone was HARLEY. This gives them a head start in selling "complaint" performance parts, and will level the playing field for awhile, until other companies catch up. Kind of like a reset for performance parts.

Harley will always sell their bikes, but service and parts is a very large part of any dealerships bottom line, during rough times a service department will carry a dealership financially, with parts coming in right behind. Harley has now found a way to corner the market on "compliant parts" (initially) and also threaten riders with no service if the bike is found to be non complaint to EPA regs. Harley is gambling that most of their customers will fall in line and comply, so a year from now, their bottom line is stronger than it is today.

The only people caught off guard by the latest EPA developments was the consumer, Harley sure as hell wasn't.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:53 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,569 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Harley is still on the hook for the 300,000 + super tuners it has sold. Recall, buy back? Think Volkswagon. This is just starting, no ending.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:32 PM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Harley is still on the hook for the 300,000 + super tuners it has sold. Recall, buy back? Think Volkswagon. This is just starting, no ending.
Hogwash. Harley most likely paid a $1 or $2 to have the tuners made. Couple million at the most to get back from the dealers. Chicken starch to them guys. Most people would be amazed at the mark up on most stuff sold today.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:37 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
Oddly, or not, I see it just the opposite way. The EPA is making it hard to produce a satisfying motorcycle any more. The 8 valve would appear to meet the EPA requirements AND provide an improvement in performance that will tempt many to update their rides. Rather than letting the EPA choke down V twin engines until no one wants one any more, Harley took a step forward and increased power and remained EPA compliant. I know of no manufacturer that can sell an engine that already has all the go fast goodies on it AND can be EPA certified and provide any kind of warranty on it. Durability is what is sacrificed to make a highly modified engine. Those genetically predisposed to be the quickest on the street will continue that quest. Being EPA compliant was never in their plan anyway. Harley provided MORE POWER in spite of the EPA, for that I give them my appreciation. Well done.
Well stated!

Old 08-30-2016, 03:40 PM
klc997
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Harley is not buying back the ones they sold you and me. HD corporate is buying back the unsold inventory from their dealers. We are stuck with the ones we bought.

The following users liked this post:
son of the hounds (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 03:47 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I haven't even ridden a rushmore yet..
Guess I'm really feeling left out....
Me neither! I have fun on my warranty voided breakout!

Old 08-30-2016, 03:51 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
There are many different types of riders out there of course, to each their own. We all have different motivations for riding... scenery, escapism, hot rodding etc..
So for those on this thread who keep wondering why heavily mod a harley? Why not buy a hayabusa argument? Here's a little explanation of the appeal.

My hopped up 107 dyna has frequently hung with 600 plus cc rice burners on 1/4 mile light to light sprints. This same dyna is a soon to be maxed out 124ci, so not hard to see coming result. And I add, it's not my need to smoke every willing party. I would be more than happy to be the only vehicle on the road, and often ride places to do just that. I ride for many reasons, sometimes laid back, sometimes aggressive. So why a fast harley? Why go through the trouble?

being smoked = priceless

Hello Dave..... Stock bikes suck. When you go 124 where are the old 107 parts going?

Old 08-30-2016, 04:13 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl

being smoked = priceless

Dave you are correct there are a lot of different style riders out there. buying my new street glide was a plan I have had from some time and turning it into one hell of a performance machine is the plan. sure I have had fast sport bikes but they are not as enjoyable to ride as this new glide. my dyna was very fast harley and I loved the look in the faces of the sport bike riders and 2 v rods when i just pulled away from them and spanked there asses in the 1/4 mile. there are a lot of people that have never ridden a harley that makes over 120 horses and feel the performance the machine lays down to the pavement. Im gear head and like performance machines why not have a 150 squared bagger now that is bad ***!

Old 08-30-2016, 05:50 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by cdonis
Hello Dave..... Stock bikes suck. When you go 124 where are the old 107 parts going?
Hey Chris, train is getting the bottom end 124 treatment as we speak. Dyna next in month or so, parts will be up in classified I suppose. Will be hard to tear into that dyna, it runs so great as is. Oh well, no turning back now, 124 parts being collected.

Quick Reply: 2017 Milwaukee-8 Castration of the Harley rider