Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Milwaukee-8 Castration of the Harley rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 10:18 AM
Tedwilliams09
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Said it before and I will say it again. Harleys success and the aftermarket success are vital to alot of us.

I just hope the EPA isn't taking that fun away from some of us...

And yes I do know I am breaking laws by putting non EPA compliant parts on my bike.

If that's the biggest crimes I commit in my life I can live with that.

Hopefully this new M8 works out well.... looks like a good platform to work with if the builders can do it.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:32 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,623 Likes on 12,011 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Seems we all need a history lesson! EPA had a radical affect on cars long before it got it's grip on bikes. Take the Porsche 911 for example. It had a 2 litre air-cooled flat-6 when the first regulations were introduced. Over the following years it was increased in size to 2.2 litres, 2.4, 2.7, 3.0, etc, as successive waves of more stringent regulations were introduced. With each of those changes performance was enhanced and look at 911s today!

Why should the bike industry or Harleys be any different?
I recall shaming my friend running his 3.0 SC against my 3.6 964. I did remove the cat and installed a chip - Shhhhh! It wasn't even a race. Might just as well been against a Prius.

Good comparison, and one not lost on Harley Davidson as they have collaborated with Porsche in the past. Let's see.......air cooled die-hards screaming about heritage and soul being lost. Sound familiar? I recall such conversations back in 1998 in the Porsche crowd. 1999 came around and the world ended for them. I recall the anarchy. The PCA disbanded and everyone marched down to the dealership and burned the 996s sitting on the lot. Porsche went out of business for betraying it's core.

Not.

Porsche is alive, well, and making it's fastest cars ever - all EPA compliant. The bearded pipe smokers that refuse to see beyond 1973 are keeping their rolling museums alive and well for the rest of us to appreciate. God bless them.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:37 AM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 952 Likes on 414 Posts

Bought a "16" FLHTCU and it's a collectable in my mind. Last model year of 100% air cooled engine in the touring format. And I can screw around with non-EPA parts all I want and maintain warranty and ESP if I don't go too crazy. These new bikes are probably the best HD has produced but glad I'm not in the EPA cross hairs.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:41 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by klc997
I didn't read every post in this ten page thread, but one I did read makes a lot of sense. Do you really think it's a coincidence that the EPA dropped the hammer and not even a week later Harley introduces the M8? That engine has been in the works for years, and when Harley was ready to introduce it, they called in a FAVOR from the EPA. Think about it, Harley has been losing the aftermarket performance battle for along time. There is NOTHING Screamin Eagle sells the is better or cheaper than other aftermarket parts companies. What the recent EPA ruling did was allow Harley to mandate EPA compliant parts or your warranty would be voided. This effectively puts them back in the game on "high performance" parts. Harley knows a hand full of their customers will give them the finger and do what they want to the new bikes and screw the warranty. Harley also knows that the vast majority will fall in line and comply because they're afraid of the threat of voiding the warranty, Even though most of their customers don't ride enough to make the warranty worthwhile I the first place. I think Harley has been planning this for awhile, and the timing of the EPA settlement was all Harley's call, not the EPA's. As I've watched what's gone on since the settlement, I'm more convinced that ever that all this was Harley's idea, and so far it's working to perfection.
Finally somebody gets it. It's like a magic show and everybody is mesmerized by what the MOCO and the EPA are doing with their left hand, and judging by the posts in this thread it's working, that your not paying attention to the real trick going on with the right hand. The right hand is quietly gathering it's sheep and capturing its share of the aftermarket world. Kinda sneaky how they've pulled the wool over your eyes isn't it. Think about it folks, 12 million bucks and what boils down to community service is a mere slap on the wrist for a company like HD. As far as the EPA making claims that they'll be going after the aftermarket next is all hogwash. Wake up folks.

The following users liked this post:
roadkinglobo (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 11:14 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
There wasn't a single muscle car from the '60s or early '70s making 500 horsepower (the way it's measured now). And those cars were ridiculously uncomfortable and unreliable. And God forbid you had to turn or stop.

The baddest of the bad was the '70 Buick GS455. That sucker was running in the low 13s at about 105mph. The new Accord runs in the low 14s at a little over 100mph. The new Mustang runs in the high 12s at well over 110mph.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the Buick in my garage, but I'd rather drive the better vehicle(s).
I'm not arguing with you, in fact you're making my point.

My wife had a Mustang GT... meh.

Way back when I had a '68 GTX, 440 six pak, blew that up & put in a 413. 2X4 cross ram, cam, headers, manual shift 727, 488 gears, etc. etc.

No contest on which one I'd rather drive either.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 08-30-2016, 11:30 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Had a '65 Mustang GT. 289 Windsor ,Hurst 4-speed, front disk brakes, posi-rear, Boss 302 hood and a front bench seat with arm rest but no A/C or power steering.... all stock. Turned high 13's but top end wasn't much past 110. I have never seen another one like it as it wasn't a fastback.... Now, I drive the same roads today in an Acura that I drove that car in. Barely faster in the curves nor straights than my '65. If "that" car had the creature comforts that cars have now, I would rather drive my old 'Stang.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:38 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Ah, but there's a difference between 500 rough, loping, fender shaking, mirror blurring 5,000 RPM Detroit HP, and 500 sewing machine sounding, rheostat feeling, 8,000 RPM Japanese HP.

Kinda like a Harley and...

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...
Ding Ding.... Some people get it....

Old 08-30-2016, 11:43 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Finally somebody gets it. It's like a magic show and everybody is mesmerized by what the MOCO and the EPA are doing with their left hand, and judging by the posts in this thread it's working, that your not paying attention to the real trick going on with the right hand. The right hand is quietly gathering it's sheep and capturing its share of the aftermarket world. Kinda sneaky how they've pulled the wool over your eyes isn't it. Think about it folks, 12 million bucks and what boils down to community service is a mere slap on the wrist for a company like HD. As far as the EPA making claims that they'll be going after the aftermarket next is all hogwash. Wake up folks.
yea thought the same thing ,,, the EPA was never going to go after these aftermarket diesel truck tuning companies...who sold non compliant EPA tunes and parts for " off road only" well they did , and they fined and shut several down...sure some are springing back up...you buy the hardware and fine some guys that sell you a tune for it. the point is no one ever thought they would go after these little guys... but they did.... i have a tuned bike, a tuned truck and a tuned Jag

Old 08-30-2016, 11:45 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by klc997
I didn't read every post in this ten page thread, but one I did read makes a lot of sense. Do you really think it's a coincidence that the EPA dropped the hammer and not even a week later Harley introduces the M8? That engine has been in the works for years, and when Harley was ready to introduce it, they called in a FAVOR from the EPA. Think about it, Harley has been losing the aftermarket performance battle for along time. There is NOTHING Screamin Eagle sells the is better or cheaper than other aftermarket parts companies. What the recent EPA ruling did was allow Harley to mandate EPA compliant parts or your warranty would be voided. This effectively puts them back in the game on "high performance" parts. Harley knows a hand full of their customers will give them the finger and do what they want to the new bikes and screw the warranty. Harley also knows that the vast majority will fall in line and comply because they're afraid of the threat of voiding the warranty, Even though most of their customers don't ride enough to make the warranty worthwhile I the first place. I think Harley has been planning this for awhile, and the timing of the EPA settlement was all Harley's call, not the EPA's. As I've watched what's gone on since the settlement, I'm more convinced that ever that all this was Harley's idea, and so far it's working to perfection.
Everything is a work.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:47 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedwilliams09
Said it before and I will say it again. Harleys success and the aftermarket success are vital to alot of us.

I just hope the EPA isn't taking that fun away from some of us...

And yes I do know I am breaking laws by putting non EPA compliant parts on my bike.

If that's the biggest crimes I commit in my life I can live with that.

Hopefully this new M8 works out well.... looks like a good platform to work with if the builders can do it.
That's just it. It's the fun factor with the bikes which to me are toys. Toys are to be played with. I wouldn't even concider getting a new toy that didn't have an aftermarket to support me playing with it. Besides most accessories I can share between my 16 and anything back to an 09.

I am just sitting back and watching the show. The last time Harley did this they spanned the full changes over a couple of model years which is why people refer to the 07-08's as being bastard years for parts. 07 saw the 96/6 speed, 08 was flyby wire and 09 was the final change that settled in.

Quick Reply: 2017 Milwaukee-8 Castration of the Harley rider