Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Slip on not getting hot

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 11:19 PM
Traveller501
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New Slip on not getting hot

I have a 2004 Ultra classic with K/N extreme air filter, upgrades screaming eagle cam plate, Andrews 21 Cam's and power commander III usb. I just purchased and installed full bore slip on's 2.5" baffle and the left side exhaust coming out of the pipe is cool to Luke warm at best. After rigging 50 miles, the left side muffler is cold to the touch. Right side is hot as should be. When bike is running, you can hear and feel the air coming out of the left exhaust, it's just not hot. It's cold and exhaust pipe doesn't heat. I spent the afternoon with Dynojet dialed in the my bike and no answers. I unplugged the power commander and hooked the bike straight us to the factory ECM (bypasses power commander) and same result. At a loss here and not what to do. Not sure is this is common and I'm over reacting but I've never had one pipe not
Get hot. Any help or feedback would be sincerely appreciates. Thank you!!!

Old 10-14-2016, 11:39 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Left side doesn't see a lot of exhaust gases. Most shoots out the right side. Sounds normal to me.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:52 PM
roost812
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

yup like dixonk said, your good to go,,,

Old 10-15-2016, 12:09 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Traveller501
I have a 2004 Ultra classic with K/N extreme air filter, upgrades screaming eagle cam plate, Andrews 21 Cam's and power commander III usb. I just purchased and installed full bore slip on's 2.5" baffle and the left side exhaust coming out of the pipe is cool to Luke warm at best. After rigging 50 miles, the left side muffler is cold to the touch. Right side is hot as should be. When bike is running, you can hear and feel the air coming out of the left exhaust, it's just not hot. It's cold and exhaust pipe doesn't heat. I spent the afternoon with Dynojet dialed in the my bike and no answers. I unplugged the power commander and hooked the bike straight us to the factory ECM (bypasses power commander) and same result. At a loss here and not what to do. Not sure is this is common and I'm over reacting but I've never had one pipe not
Get hot. Any help or feedback would be sincerely appreciates. Thank you!!!
=========================

Few things to consider.

* YOUR NEW PERF MUFFLER IS LESS RESTRICTIVE /LESS BACK PRESSURE WHICH CAN MAKE IT RUN COOLER.

* COULD HAVE AN EX LEAK ON JOINT WHERE NEW PERF MUFFLER MEETS MAIN HEAD PIPE.

But since you didnt say it running poorly post installing the new mufflers i would not think there isn't anything serious wrong with the motor.

I find on my 09 flhtcu that left side ex flow feels as though it's approx 55-60% cooler then right side ex flow when feeling it on the palm of my hand with stock ex system.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 10-15-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:40 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

Just ride it

Old 10-15-2016, 06:49 AM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
Just ride it
Exactly!

Old 10-15-2016, 07:30 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Find something else to worry about. You'd know if it was running on one cylinder.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:50 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Wait....what?

Most guys here complain their exhaust gets too hot. I think this is the first post I've ever seen where a guy is complaining his is too cold.

The following 2 users liked this post by danzio:
Campy Roadie (10-15-2016), cass (10-30-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 08:25 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Are you sure you have the new mufflers mounted on the correct side? A lot of mufflers are designed side-specific in regard to the restrictions built inside the muffler that, when mounted on the intended side, will create appropriate back-pressures.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:39 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Are you sure you have the new mufflers mounted on the correct side? A lot of mufflers are designed side-specific in regard to the restrictions built inside the muffler that, when mounted on the intended side, will create appropriate back-pressures.
I don't believe that's the case on full boars

Quick Reply: New Slip on not getting hot