Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 09:49 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod351
its smooth. my first thought was heated up clutch disks. had this problem with a BDL open belt drive, oil getting them. cleaned with acetone and good as new. i have no idea how the previous worked the clutch. 25,000 miles on it. i do know it was to tight when i got it because with it in first, engine running, i couldn't push it back, now i can at least do that. hey it might be alright, the oil looked good in the primary.
Sounds like you got this... Your right on with the the heat possibility. A lot of slow traffic in high heat regions can take the life out of a clutch assembly. I have never used ATF for my primary. If you use it, let's us know how it goes.
Good luck...

Old 10-26-2016, 01:13 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

dont think ill be using it. if i did then it would be soaked into the disk. think ill go with the chain lube that is recommended.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:43 PM
Wv7o
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the talk of using different oils in the primary I think its time to mention that not all oils work with all clutch material.

Some wet clutch material works great with some types of ATF but may not like other types of oil.

Some clutch packs work fine with standard AW32 hydraulic oil and some like different spec oils, like John Deere tractor oil (looks like hydraulic oil but hydraulic oil will destroy the clutch material)

My point is not to say what you or someone else is using will not work, but to caution everyone about knowing what the clutch material is made of and be careful about what oil you use as you could be using the wrong spec oil and damage the clutch material

Again I am not saying what you should or should not use just reminding everyone to be careful so you do not inadvertently cause damage to your clutch pack.

Last edited by Wv7o; 10-26-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:47 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior

well me adjusting it properly did the job. has a click when going into first, but not a loud clunk. ahhhhh life is good.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:51 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Just out of curiosity, is there some mechanical requirement that you adjust the allen bolt, other than to reposition the clutch lever freeplay?

Old 10-30-2016, 08:00 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior

well if you have to much free play in the allen then you wont be able to pull the hand lever in enough to release the clutch. mine had about 1 & 1/2 turns before i adjusted it. you have to know how the ball, *****, and ramp design works to release the clutch to know why the allen set screw free play is important.

Attached Thumbnails clutch adjustment-screen-shot-2016-10-30-at-8.17.15-am.png  

Last edited by hotrod351; 10-30-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:55 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
Just out of curiosity, is there some mechanical requirement that you adjust the allen bolt, other than to reposition the clutch lever freeplay?
The two are completely separate adjustments. If you follow the step by step sequence for adjustment from the service manual, you will better understand how they are separate.

The first step to back off the cable casing nut/ adjuster will also be your final step to set your free play at the clutch lever. That has nothing to do with your settings at the clutch basket/ allen screw.

When the cable casing nuts are backed off you have simply placed the clutch assembly in a relaxed position for adjustment by shortening the cable housing allowing the cable to relax tension. When that's done you must reset your cable casing nut adjustment to give the correct cable pull length again.

The cable casing adjust is often thought to be a clutch adjustment when it is not.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:23 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior

The cable casing adjust is often thought to be a clutch adjustment when it is not. what he said.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:16 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

So here's why I ask. I have no clutch problems. 3/16" play measured at the lever. Engagement/disengagement happens in about the correct lever location. All that said, I've yet to adjust the clutch in the four years I've had this bike. Why should I adjust it?

Old 11-01-2016, 02:37 PM
steelpony16
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

You have never adjusted your clutch in 4 years?
Do you take the bike to the dealer for servicing? 5,000, 10,000 etc....
If yes, then I am sure they adjust it.

Mine always needs adjusting and I never ride the clutch.
When the dealer did my new handlebar install maybe they put in a garbage brand cable?

Quick Reply: clutch adjustment