Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repairing dented tank...v this is a good one

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 06:37 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeJeepCrawl
Go with a custom tank for $300 + paint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-6-GALLON-C...ts=Model%3ACVO

that's an idea as it's going to get and entire repaint but those tanks appear to be for the older models. not sure what the change is or what's required in the seat area to work with that extended tank. I do like the looks, though.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:50 PM
kevin_n
Road Captain
Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

I agree, don't see away to fix that without painting it. The time to fix it, unless you can do the work yourself, would be cheaper to buy a new one or look for a used take off somewhere.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:59 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

like I said, that tank is $2k new. Not doing that. Bikes getting a different color. Maybe one of those Yaffe tanks is a good idea. $300+paint that's going to happen anyways.

I'm just curious on what's involved with using those tanks, like seats and side panels fuel pump etc. I have no idea if it's paint and bolt on and go or requires supporting mods to use.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:32 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 305 Likes on 226 Posts

A quick google and I'm looking online at Ronnie's HD microfiche. I'm not seeing the CVO listed but a new primed tank for an FLHXS is $932.

Might try them.

There are all kinds of cheaper aftermarket tanks to make it custom.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:05 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

$1400 is the best I can see for the specific tank but again, the bikes not going back stock color. Would be cost prohibitive.

This tank is some one for the street glide. It has a right hand only filler. I don't see any others using that.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:15 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 607 Posts

Consider taking tank off the bike.
That tank has an access panel for fuel injection correct?
Remove tank insides (pump/filter/ lines).
Take it to an autobody shop.
Their paintless dent guy can then access the area from the back/inside by way of access panel.
It will not look perfect but the body shop can then work it a little more to make it nice since you are going for a repaint anyways.
It would remain as a Harley tank instead of aftermarket but it will probably cost about 1/2 of a new tank..
If you showed it to a paintless dent repair guy and wanted him to fix it through the fuel inlet then i can understand why they said NO right away.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:26 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by shore
This tank is some one for the street glide. It has a right hand only filler. I don't see any others using that.
Isn't the road king tank right hand filler only?

Old 11-14-2016, 08:37 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,238 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by shore
like I said, that tank is $2k new. Not doing that. Bikes getting a different color. Maybe one of those Yaffe tanks is a good idea. $300+paint that's going to happen anyways.

I'm just curious on what's involved with using those tanks, like seats and side panels fuel pump etc. I have no idea if it's paint and bolt on and go or requires supporting mods to use.
since you're changing color, you don't have to buy the painted tank. that tank, primed is $1058 msrp. boardtracker sells it for $862.00

***edit*** the part number that I found was for the 2013 fltrxse2 cvo roadglide. but that has a recess on the left hand side for a fuel guage. the only tank that I found for a cvo street glide, that did not have the fuel guage on the left, was the 2015, and they do not list it in prime ($1709 ouch!). as another poster mentioned, the road king tank fills from the right side only, but it does have a 'dummy' cap on the left side.

maybe do like the earlier cvo. take out the fuel gauge and one other from the dash, put the led gauge in the left side hole of the tank, and put 2 tweeters in the inner fairing?

Last edited by skratch; 11-14-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:48 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

HD supplied me with a fresh tank painted to match for $650 and a 6 week wait. They are not laying around the warehouse waiting for someone to order, they are manufactured and painted as needed.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:54 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by im
Consider taking tank off the bike.
That tank has an access panel for fuel injection correct?
Remove tank insides (pump/filter/ lines).
Take it to an autobody shop.
Their paintless dent guy can then access the area from the back/inside by way of access panel.
It will not look perfect but the body shop can then work it a little more to make it nice since you are going for a repaint anyways.
It would remain as a Harley tank instead of aftermarket but it will probably cost about 1/2 of a new tank..
If you showed it to a paintless dent repair guy and wanted him to fix it through the fuel inlet then i can understand why they said NO right away.

that's an idea too

Quick Reply: Repairing dented tank...v this is a good one