Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14' SGS Compensator Eliminator Sprocket Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 01:47 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
the only place a comp is compensating, is at low speed. Low, low speed.
Out on the highway, the spring is wrapped tight, it is not jumping back and forth acting as a shock absorber for the crank.
in low gears, I do not hear anything,
but in 5th or 6th if I roll off/roll on the throttle it makes a big metal clang, is that the compensator?
i took my ear plugs out & rode a few miles to narrow it down to what speed/gear it does it,
and its only in 5th/6th, where the TQ of the rear wheel could overcome the diaphragm washer spring pressure & slam the compensator around?

are, am i hearing something else?

Old 07-22-2019, 02:01 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by 04ctd
but in 5th or 6th if I roll off/roll on the throttle it makes a big metal clang, is that the compensator?
i took my ear plugs out & rode a few miles to narrow it down to what speed/gear it does it,
and its only in 5th/6th, where the TQ of the rear wheel could overcome the diaphragm washer spring pressure & slam the compensator around?

Quick test to confirm.....put the bike in 1st gear, hold the front brake and ease out on the clutch. If you hear clanging, it's your comp!!!

Old 07-22-2019, 10:31 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 04ctd

Depending on your mileage check your cush drive. I had the same noise in similar circumstances. Changed mine and the clunk disappeared. Easy to check also.

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 08:23 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Quick test to confirm.....put the bike in 1st gear, hold the front brake and ease out on the clutch. If you hear clanging, it's your comp!!!
negative on this test

Originally Posted by Stang951
Depending on your mileage check your cush drive. I had the same noise in similar circumstances. Changed mine and the clunk disappeared. Easy to check also.

how do I test the cush drive? that was my first guess, but i found these threads first...

Old 07-23-2019, 09:06 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
The following users liked this post:
04ctd (07-23-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 08:59 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

That isolater like $30ish? and if I recall (trying to recall manual) replacement is 50k if that. If a concern, just swap in a new one when doing tires, which for most of us is about every year (at least a rear)

Old 08-18-2019, 02:58 PM
rcrankin
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by option1
The primary chain tensioner on my bike looked good but, after the 124 transplant, would over tighten the chain. It was pretty loud (squealing) and when we pulled the primary off to check the noise discovered how tight it was. The stock auto tensioner, as you know, only tightens and doesn't release the tension. My bike had 13,700 miles on it at the time the S&S was dropped in. Interesting that some tensioners don't seem to do this on large motors? I'm now running a twin power solid sprocket, Hayden M6 tensioner with a Barnett Scorpion clutch (which, btw, has begun to make a squawking noise at times when rolling from a stop in first gear). Not sure what's up with the clutch. Anyone running a Scorpion with this issue?
Option 1,
I realize it's been about 2-years since your post; but, I'm curious about the squawking you mentioned. I recently installed the Barnett Carbon Fiber Extra Plate kit, in my 14 FLHTK, and I'm hearing squawking when rolling out from a stop in first gear. I only hear it within the first 5-10 mins after startup from cold engine temp. I installed the Baker Compensator at the same time, so I not sure which one it could be. Thought it was a loose compensator bolt; but that and the clutch were still at torque. Can you tell me if it was the clutch and if so, what you switched to or did to resolve the squawking?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Old 08-18-2019, 03:30 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by rcrankin
Option 1,
I realize it's been about 2-years since your post; but, I'm curious about the squawking you mentioned. I recently installed the Barnett Carbon Fiber Extra Plate kit, in my 14 FLHTK, and I'm hearing squawking when rolling out from a stop in first gear. I only hear it within the first 5-10 mins after startup from cold engine temp. I installed the Baker Compensator at the same time, so I not sure which one it could be. Thought it was a loose compensator bolt; but that and the clutch were still at torque. Can you tell me if it was the clutch and if so, what you switched to or did to resolve the squawking?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

What they told me...When I asked about the "squak"

Barry

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 9:57 AM <chance@barnettclutches.com> wrote:
The noise you are hearing is the plates grabbing and hooking up. ATF is an aggressive oil so that might be part of it as well. The noise isn’t hurting anything just weird sound taking off. I have been running BelRay in a few of our bikes and its working good.

The other thing you can do is if you still have the stock judder spring and seat and the odd B friction plate you can put it back in. You would remove one of our thicker friction plates and put in the stock part all the way on the inside where it was. Then install the rest of our parts on top. Some bikes like to have that little cushion when you take off.

Chance Darling
Barnett Tool & Engineering

Old 08-19-2019, 09:37 AM
option1
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcrankin
Option 1,

Thanks in advance,
Rob
HI Rob. Yes it was the clutch. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I'm running a solid sprocket (no comp) so I knew it couldn't be the compensator. Chance at Barnett ended up sending me, if I remember correctly, a different B plate and it solved the noise issue for me. BTW Barnett was great to work with on this.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:12 PM
rcrankin
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Barry / Opt1:
Thanks for the quick replies.
I have been using Formula+, but will give Bel-Ray a shot. Also, give Barnett a call for suggestion with the extra plate kit.

Thanks again,
Rob

Quick Reply: 14' SGS Compensator Eliminator Sprocket Install