Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3/4 Helmet Suggestion for the HD Headset

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:06 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain
Received 152 Likes on 79 Posts
Default 3/4 Helmet Suggestion for the HD Headset

Presently I have Nolan helmets with the Nolan nCom system (bluetooth)

But I want to try using the headset that came with my 2010 and 2014 Limited HD#77147-98A with another helmet.

After looking at how the Premium Headset clamps onto the the shell of a helmet and how large the speakers are, my question is what Brand/Model of helmet did you buy to fit the headset into?

I want to avoid modifying the helmet to accommodate the headset, i.e. enlarging the hole in the foam to fit the speakers.

Are the HD branded helmets designed to fit with their headsets? The helmet is to be a 3/4 open face.

thanks
brian

Old 02-16-2017, 08:47 PM
jm7480
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have this one and it works great with the HD headset

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-is-33-ii-helmet

The following users liked this post:
Candubrain (02-17-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 08:57 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

I use it in my Bell 500s

Candubrain (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 08:35 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

If you like your Nolan, J&M has a Nolan 3/4 with their audio built in that plugs into the HD 7-pin system. My wife and I both have one and love it! Had friends try ours out and they bought some too.

http://www.jmcorp.com/NolanN40Helmets.asp

Last edited by MilesOfTexas; 02-17-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Candubrain
Presently I have Nolan helmets with the Nolan nCom system (bluetooth)

But I want to try using the headset that came with my 2010 and 2014 Limited HD#77147-98A with another helmet.

After looking at how the Premium Headset clamps onto the the shell of a helmet and how large the speakers are, my question is what Brand/Model of helmet did you buy to fit the headset into?

I want to avoid modifying the helmet to accommodate the headset, i.e. enlarging the hole in the foam to fit the speakers.

Are the HD branded helmets designed to fit with their headsets? The helmet is to be a 3/4 open face.

thanks
brian
I cant answer that I do know as I am sure you noticed that they will not work with the Nolan helmets or at least with the N104 series. I tried to put the HD on my Nolan N104 Absolute and the helmet will not accommodate the the clamp on the HD headset. I ended up getting the Nolan system that is made for the N104 slides right into place with nothing exposed on the outside of the helmet and plugs into the HD 7 pin connector.

Nolan makes a 3/4 that uses their headset and will plug into the HD 7 pin also, I believe its the N40

Old 02-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
If you like your Nolan, J&M has a Nolan 3/4 with their audio built in that plugs into the HD system. My wife and I both have one and love it! Had friends try ours out and they bought some too.

http://www.jmcorp.com/NolanN40Helmets.asp
Out of curiosity why did you choose that route with J&M and the Nolan N40? Was it improvement in sound quality?

Looking at J&M its a little over $100 more per helmet than getting the N40 from Nolan with the Nolan com set installed (Nolan N40 MCS) with both you have to buy the lower cord that connects to the bike which is around $79 from J&M vs $36 from Nolan

The other option is buy the Nolan N40 without the comm installed for around $269 then buy the kit from Nolan for that helmet for around 100 that is made to integrate into the helmet and comes with the lower cord

Old 02-17-2017, 10:45 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad
Out of curiosity why did you choose that route with J&M and the Nolan N40? Was it improvement in sound quality?

Looking at J&M its a little over $100 more per helmet than getting the N40 from Nolan with the Nolan com set installed (Nolan N40 MCS) with both you have to buy the lower cord that connects to the bike which is around $79 from J&M vs $36 from Nolan

The other option is buy the Nolan N40 without the comm installed for around $269 then buy the kit from Nolan for that helmet for around 100 that is made to integrate into the helmet and comes with the lower cord
I went with J&M because I have used their product in my half helmet for the last 150k miles and it has work flawlessly through heat and cold and wet and the audio is outstanding. So I knew what I was getting with J&M, but I wouldn't with Nolan.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:02 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
I went with J&M because I have used their product in my half helmet for the last 150k miles and it has work flawlessly through heat and cold and wet and the audio is outstanding. So I knew what I was getting with J&M, but I wouldn't with Nolan.
Makes sense, don't blame you stick with what you know will work

Old 02-17-2017, 11:29 AM
J.Tours
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Candubrain
This^ seems like an unnecessary caveat.

Find a helmet that fits you like a glove then worry about fitting an aftermarket com system in it. It's really very simple. I stuck a Cardo Q1 on my Nolan N44 be removing a 1/8" by 2" piece of hard plastic from the bottom of the helmet. When it comes to resale (which I have never done with a helmet) the only thing I have lost is the ability to sell the helmet separate from the Q1.

If it makes you uncomfortable to do this go with a 3rd party vendor like J&M Audio.

Candubrain (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 11:36 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

I installed one of my headsets in this with no modifications necessary:

Generally, I can't imagine too many properly fitting helmets that would need modification. Just make sure you get the speakers centered to where your ears sit - too high or low will result in compromised volume.

Quick Reply: 3/4 Helmet Suggestion for the HD Headset