Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cop seat for '16 Road King advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Check6
Road Captain

Received 299 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Cop seat for '16 Road King advice needed

Not sure if I have this posted in the correct forum or not. Mods, please move if appropriate.

Need help for my RK. I have the stock seat and the hammock seat for my bike, but I'm planning another Iron Butt ride this summer. Thinking about putting one of those all day cop seats on it, but have no idea where to get one or how much they cost. Also don't have any idea what all is involved, but I'm hearing that there's a mounting plate and an air bladder.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:27 PM
Moegy
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Newer police solos use a spring shock instead of air bladder. Check out retiredpolicebikes.com. Lots of ideas a how to's there.

The following users liked this post:
Check6 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 07:49 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Just to give you an idea of what you're going to need, look at this thread ... post 1

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...visor-set.html

In 2013 HD replaced the air bladder & tank with a spring setup (as pictured in the post above). AFAIK either setup will work but the air requires you to mount the air tank someplace. Not that hard to do .... see next post in this thread.

Last edited by 14GuineaPig; 03-08-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Check6 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 08:47 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

there is a cop seat on the classifieds right now!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...elle-tach.html

I have a copseat on my 09 FLHTC

I have my air tank mounted inboard of the saddlebag:

there is the air bladder- shock or some use a kong ( yes the one your dog chews) retiredpolicebikes.com has a how to

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-08-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Check6 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 03:46 PM
peramus
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check ebay... there's usually a bunch on there. There's also a bunch of mods people do. I had one on a road king classic it's comfy but there are some quirks... It lifts you up about 2 or 3 inches (may cause more issues with handlebars/shoulders than it solves with the butt). Like said before the new (not sure how early they started but for sure the 17's) ones use a spring instead of the air bladder. The bladder uses the same low pressure pump like the stock shocks and an air tank that normally mounts under the police bike's radio mount (think mini tour pak). To keep the air system intact you will have to mount that in the saddlebag somehow. One of the common mods was to take the factory shock out and replace it with a "kong" brand dog toy. Fair warning switching between the police seat and your hammock isn't as easy as switching from the hammock to the stock seat. It's not overly complicated but it's not something you are going to want to do on your way out the door in the morning. Probably takes 30-45 minutes to get it on and about 15-20 to take it off. With practice maybe quicker but it definitely requires tools (more than just a screwdriver). Then there is the last gripe... asthetics. This is why there is so many on ebay. The seat itself has this vinyl basketweave cover that is honestly... a little fugly. You could fix this easily by recovering it. It is a relatively easy seat to have recovered and looks nice when it's done right. The real asthetic problem though is the horrible cheap plastic cover that goes between the seat and the frame (to cover the battery and everything). It's the cheapest grade of plastic with a grainy texture to it... I've seen people sand them down and repaint them and they look ok'ish but they are definitely not pretty. The last real "gripe" I had about it was that being double shocked if you hit a bump like a pot hole or even a speed bump you better hold on or risk being bucked off the bike.

With all of that being said... the cop seats are probably the comfiest thing I've ever ridden (I've also had the harley hammock and I'm currently on a CVO Limited I describe as the lap of a chubby virgin). If you recovered it with some good leather and tossed a gel pad in there while you were at it it would probably be the ultimate seat. The riding position, while different and not the "cool guy" slouch that's popular today gives you EXCELLENT control of your bike... especially in low speed maneuvers (think police rodeo). On the highway you are gonna catch hell trying to find ANY windshield that will work if you are over 6'. Also you may find yourself needing to change out the brackets on your highway pegs (yes it is THAT drastic of a different seating position).

Hope all this helps.

Check6 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 04:51 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I have an air bladder and tank I'd sell if you're interested. I just switched to the spring (but only because I found one for $25).

Old 03-11-2017, 05:10 PM
jeeper101
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts

I switched to a cop seat a few months back. It does raise your seating position about 2" Becase of this I had to go with chubby 12" mini apes to bring my arms to a comfortable riding position. Mine is an older bike, so I have the air ride, by now I have the psi dialed just right. Even on bumps and pot holes, it keeps me right on the seat with no discomfort or "being thrown off the bike" feeling.
Next mod will be to re upholster it so I can get rid of the basket weave and probably cover the plastic cover with same material. The seat definitely changes the bike in many positive ways. I have a 32" inseam and I can back the bike just fine, and stopping/going/turning is not an issue, though at first it has a different feel on your thighs.
I will never have any other seat on my king, this thing is as perfect as it gets for my riding needs, and I really dig the classic look it gives the bike!
I paid $180 for the set up practically new.

Check6 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 08:22 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

Another vote for the cop seat - rode 2300 miles in 7 days - comfortable the whole way. I had the nose narrowed a little and it felt better. I also got a 2" taller windshield. Feet sit flat on the boards and my posture is better now too.

Before you ditch the basketweave - it breathes better than other materials so you won't get "monkey butt".

Cop seats are all about function. Get one and enjoy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Joe12RK:
Check6 (03-11-2017), crnt918 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 09:37 PM
Check6
Road Captain

Received 299 Likes on 140 Posts

Wow. Lots of good info here! I really appreciate all the help. I stopped in at a local Denver dealer yesterday to get prices on these things. The entire setup, with all the hardware and the hydraulic shock system is right at $700. Quite a bit more than I had imagined, but I sat on a cop glide on the floor and I really love the seat itself. I'm not going to put out that kind of spendin' cabbage for it, but I'll look around and see what I come up with.

Again, thanks for all the help!

Old 03-12-2017, 08:22 AM
peramus
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Check6
Wow. Lots of good info here! I really appreciate all the help. I stopped in at a local Denver dealer yesterday to get prices on these things. The entire setup, with all the hardware and the hydraulic shock system is right at $700. Quite a bit more than I had imagined, but I sat on a cop glide on the floor and I really love the seat itself. I'm not going to put out that kind of spendin' cabbage for it, but I'll look around and see what I come up with.

Again, thanks for all the help!
I would NOT buy one new... ebay is literally FLOODED with take offs since it's the first thing most people do when they buy a used cop bike. Most of them are around $200-300 for everything and the basket weave (while fugly as hell) is actually REALLY sturdy and holds up well (if not you probably want to recover it anyway). So I would have NO issues buying a take off. if you are a little nervous get the dealer to print out the parts list page for it so you can know what all should be included.

Quick Reply: Cop seat for '16 Road King advice needed