Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard starts and battery acting like it's dying

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 05:17 PM
sabunimwil@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Hard starts and battery acting like it's dying

OK, I just want to get a little more advice. A couple of friends gave their opinions but I figured I'd ask the all knowing gurus here.
My battery died on me about 3 months ago so I shelled out $130 for a new one with a warranty. It was charged before it was put in my bike. That was about 3 months ago. Now my bike is having hard starts and sometimes won't start at all like the battery is dead. I checked the charging system and it's putting out 13.8v. With the bike off the battery reads 11.9v.
What's the deal? One friend said to replace the rectifier and stator. What's everyone's opinion on the problem and what steps should I take to track down the problem?
Thanks in advance,

Igor

Old 04-09-2017, 05:20 PM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

11.9 seems low, get a garage to do a load test on the battery, before spending anymore $$

11.9 would indicate the battery is fully discharged. Put it on a proper charger overnight (not a tender) and get the load test done as above.

Last edited by IrishHogtrotter; 04-09-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:28 PM
Camarosx2
Cruiser
Received 187 Likes on 87 Posts

A good battery is at least 12.7, so your battery is in need of a full charge before you do anything. As for 13.8 charging, was that with the dead battery installed and what rpm was that reading taken at.

How often is the bike used, is it on a tender if it sits, has the bike been parked for the winter? We need more information before we can give you solid advise.

The following 2 users liked this post by Camarosx2:
sabunimwil@gmail.com (04-09-2017), Tat2dMFr (06-23-2023)
Old 04-09-2017, 05:42 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

I just replaced a battery. Load tested fine... but it would drop voltage over night. Shop said, it could have a cracked cell, that all though a load test is a great way to identify if a battery is good or bad, it's not always 100%. I came across this site when I was looking into mine. A lot of good info. Mine would drop from 12.75 to 12.25 over night... Again Load tested good... Not worth it to me to mess around with a battery.

http://www.dansmc.com/batteries.htm

Old 04-09-2017, 05:50 PM
madwrencher
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like a battery if you have a warranty on it take it back and get it checked/replaced

The following users liked this post:
sabunimwil@gmail.com (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 07:01 PM
sabunimwil@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarosx2
A good battery is at least 12.7, so your battery is in need of a full charge before you do anything. As for 13.8 charging, was that with the dead battery installed and what rpm was that reading taken at.

How often is the bike used, is it on a tender if it sits, has the bike been parked for the winter? We need more information before we can give you solid advise.
I ride the bike every day no matter the weather. It never sits more than a day unused. The 13.8 charging was on my new battery fully charged overnight on a charger. RPM was 1000 at idle. I like to keep the battery on a tender overnight but set it on a charger for this test.
Sounds like it might be the battery to me but I'm here for advice because I am just a beginner.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:11 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

If you have been fine for 3 months of riding since last replaced and now suddenly problems again, think you just got a bad battery. Bad luck is my thought

Old 04-09-2017, 08:45 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

13.8 volts may be too of a charge voltage but a 1k rpm it's hard to say. The FSM says to check voltage at 2k rpm. It should be 14-14.2 volts at 2k rpm. I would reccomend getting the FSM as it has complete instructions to test the charging system including both the stator and voltage regulator.
In the meantime, check all of your connections, wiring and grounds. There are several grounds - in front of the battery and VR bolts are prime places to check.
Or you could just be unlucky and have gotten a dud battery.

sabunimwil@gmail.com (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 10:42 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,312 Likes on 2,358 Posts

The 13.8v sounds a bit weak, the charging is going right to the battery, I'd be doing a charging system test. A weak battery cold induce failure of a regulator/rectifier and work down to the stator over working. Keep the multimeter probes on the battery and take the rpm's up to 2K or slightly higher see if you get to 14.2-4v.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:23 AM
jessultra
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

im just telling you what worked for me , i was using the junk Harley tender and my battery died got a new battery and then it died , replaced the tender with a much better one and it cane with a new pig tail for the tender to plug into. took old pigtail out and it had a short in it. been fine ever since

Quick Reply: Hard starts and battery acting like it's dying