Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide 2006 annoying and weird vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 04:55 AM
e.kortesalmi
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Glide 2006 annoying and weird vibration

Hello

My Street Glide has very weird vibration. I know all basic causes of vibration. And have done those many times.

These i have try:

- 3 different type of front mount, not much change.
- Changed front fairing mounts.
- Lined bike and engine with Harley methods, no change
- Loosen mounts and let engine run idle then tight it again, no change.
- Front mount center bolt will move freely when it's on loose, as lower and top yoke.
- changed primary chain tensioner to automatic tensioner, no change.
- Changed rear mounts, no change
- Changed slip-on rubbers at rear, and adjust hangers, no change
- Changed exhaust hanger on top of tranny, no change
- Checked clearance of engine, primary and transmission to frame, not touching

1200 to 1800 rpm vibration dosn't feel much at handlebar, seat or floorboards. But front fairing is trying to fly off. From 2000 to 2600 rpm front fairing is steady and not moving at all, handlebars dosn't give vibration, but seat and floorboards goes mad high freq vibration. It's feels like vibration goes totally different, front front cylinder to rear or something.

Only what i have found some help is ECU tuning, i have power vision and i have tweaked and tried a little different ignition timing, fuel maps and so. Those affect on vibration. I have found a little help of tune, and sometimes it's good.

But then the weird part. Yesterday i drove to work 10km on morning and bike felt good, then afternoon i drove it back and it's was crazy with vibration. When i started bike it's backfired once just before it started.

So now it's sometimes good sometimes bad, but mostly bad. I know issue with crack runout but i'm not sure with it because sometimes it's good sometimes not. And when it's bad it's really bad, i can feel it on my brain, teeths, eyes and whole body. And worst is rpm's from 2200 to 2500. After 2700 to 5500 rpm no vibration almost at all.

So question, does bad crank sensor can cause this kind symptoms? How about bad map sensor? or something else.

I have thoughts it might be crank, but still i'm not sure of it because sometimes it's feels good sometimes it's feel like i'm going to sink it to deep swamp.

Any help would be more than welcome

Old 04-28-2017, 07:02 AM
tcoz2000
Stage III

Oddly similar, my 09 Road King seemed to have picked up a bit of extra vibration last weekend. Front mounts seem to be in good shape, but I haven't checked the rears or muffler clamps yet.

What threw me off was when I started it up at work the other afternoon, instead of starting- it backfired. She did start on the next attempt, but, this was definitely odd. Otherwise, runs like a champ. But my feet tingle from the vibrating floorboards.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:33 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Missing? Timing? Bad plug or wire?

Old 05-01-2017, 07:48 AM
e.kortesalmi
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Ben221
Missing? Timing? Bad plug or wire?
I have changed plugs, wires haven't checked but they seem to be ok.

Timing have minor effect on vibration, i have Power Vision for my bike and changed timing map, and also have put original tune for ecu and then tweaked from -10' to +10' and not much different vibration. Only engine normal running changing.

I just came back from riding and today was worst for long time, two day ago it was almost fine, and now floorboard vibration was so bad that i had to turn back home after 20km

Old 05-01-2017, 07:56 AM
tcoz2000
Stage III

I cured mine randomly this weekend. I drained the tank completely, refilled with fresh premium, dumped in a bottle of Octane Boost, and drove her around 100 miles. Smoothed right out. Going to throw in some SeaFoam after a few more tank-fulls. I may have picked up some bad gas I guess, and without running the tank completely down, that crap kept getting sucked in. I did happen to also notice both of my floorboards have damaged isolators, I'm sure that doesn't help.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:17 PM
e.kortesalmi
5th Gear

And now i had engine opened, took crankcases and flywheel to expert. He said that there was only 0,12mm runout (0,0047 inc) on flywheel and he trued it to 0 on primary side and 0,03mm to cam end.

And after i put engine together again...... guess what.. nothing changed... still same annoying vibration, on around 1500 heavy front end vibration, batwing is flying... and from 1900-2300, frustrating hi freq vibration on seat and floorboards.

Everything was fine and on tune on cam end, and all primary components was like new...

Please someone tell me what's wrong with my bike? I just don't find anything... but it can't be like that, vibrating is so heavy that i feel it on my face, eyes and so...

Old 05-15-2017, 01:13 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Heat management system? Fuel issues? I think it's an electrical or fuel issue

Old 05-15-2017, 01:31 PM
e.kortesalmi
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Ben221
Heat management system? Fuel issues? I think it's an electrical or fuel issue
What are facts behind this your conclusion?
And what heat management system you are talking about?

I have drove over 10000ml with this problem so im pretty sure that it is not fuel related problem.

How you think it is electrical issue? What electrical issue can cause so bad vibration and yet work over year just same.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:42 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

A couple things you could check would be:

1. runout on your trans main shaft
2. runout on your clutch hub
3. deflection on your primary chain.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:14 PM
e.kortesalmi
5th Gear

Originally Posted by lp
A couple things you could check would be:

1. runout on your trans main shaft
2. runout on your clutch hub
3. deflection on your primary chain.
1. Vibration is same, on neutral as on every gear. So trans main shaft is quite far from problem. And vibration is not light, it's shaking whole bike and driver and i cant see that trans shaft could make this heavy force. Inner primary bearing was allright when i checked it.
2. Clutch hub looked allright when i was handling it and inspect it, but didn't measure runout, how i measure it?
3. Primary chain is allright, as almost new automatic chain tensioner (vibration is same with stock tensioner and automatic tensioner)

Quick Reply: Street Glide 2006 annoying and weird vibration