Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Harley Garage opener versus Custom Dynamics LED TruBeam headlight (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1173680-harley-garage-opener-versus-custom-dynamics-led-trubeam-headlight.html)

itznin 04-30-2017 07:23 PM

Harley Garage opener versus Custom Dynamics LED TruBeam headlight

My dealer wired up the Harley garage door opener (91558-01B) for me, I brought it home and couldn't sync it.

The headlight is the LED Custom Dynamics TruBeam.

I brought it back to Harley and the tech disconnected the actual headlight and the transmitter synced with the receiver no problem. The minute the headlight was plugged back in they no longer communicated until the headlight was unplugged again.

Anyone else have this same configuration?

I suggested to the dealer that we mount the transmitter under the seat so it is away from the headlight but they said since it's wired to the light it won't make a difference. Any thoughts on that?

They also said since the BCM is there RF frequency may cause interference. All of this makes SOME sense but why not try it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. My whole front end lighting is CD so I can't change the headlight now and I need the garage opener to work.

Thoughts?

Edit SOLVED - See my posts below for part # of Custom Dynamics part that fixes the issue

shorelasHD 04-30-2017 07:30 PM

Tagging this thread. Planning on a VisionX (OEM) for the TruBeam) headlight, but using an OEM garage door opener in my windshield bag. Don't anticipate problems, but curious.

I'm thinking an RF filter might be the answer, but the Custom Dynamics or the VisionX people are more likely to have the answer than the Harley dealer. CD has a great customer service department, try calling them tomorrow.

dawg 04-30-2017 07:31 PM

Perhaps one of these garage door openers would work?

jt metal 04-30-2017 07:43 PM

Very problematic at best. So many variables that could cause a delay are endless.

CJeep 04-30-2017 09:41 PM

I know it does not solve your problem, but if you ditch the HD opener, why not try a keychain opener? I use one, with my bike key on a carabiner on a belt loop. Its worked great for me for years.

itznin 05-01-2017 08:06 AM

Thank you all for the responses.... I'll be calling CD today to speak with their customer service for advice.

Keychain opener will be my LAST resort. I already have the Harley garage opener and that would be ideal/cleanest so I am going to try everything in my power to make that work.

Keep the ideas coming - I will update today after speaking with CD.

DamifIknow 05-01-2017 08:31 AM

My dealer told me the Custom Dynamics LED head light it would interfere with radio reception.

GRWHD 05-01-2017 08:41 AM

:icon_lurk5: following this one.
I have been packing my opener in the saddle bag and slip it into my pocket once on the way home.

Spartanden 05-01-2017 11:15 AM

I can't offer much... I have the hd opener on my street glide and the truck lite led headlamp and all things Harley led driving lights.... no problems. I'd be curious what you find out as well. good luck on your search.

itznin 05-01-2017 01:42 PM

I just spoke to Custom Dynamics - They indicated that there is a resistor that goes in-between the H4 to H9/H11 adapter and the headlight

OR

in-between the Hi/Lo adapter whichever I choose is fine

They are shipping the adapter to me today, I will update again once I bring it back to the dealer to square away since the bike is already there.

CD is great they identified the problem immediately and had a solution (hopefully)....

EDIT - This fixed the problem, actual part number in a later post