Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike dies/shuts off while riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:08 AM
Hawk66
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Bike dies/shuts off while riding

I have a very nerve wracking problem with my 02 Ultra. It started while cutting out/ dying for a couple seconds while riding. Just like I hit the run/stop switch by accident (which I didn't). It would shut off long enough to startle me and then kick back in before I could get to side of road. It does NOT lose electrical when this happens so it is NOT the main circuit breaker which has been updated. Temperature of bike doesn't seem to make difference and neither does fuel level. Two or three times it has shut off long enough for me to coast to side of road and re-start WITHOUT cycling run/off switch--I just hit start. Last time was in middle of intersection when I was starting from stop. Took a little more for it to start that time but normally starts right up. Runs and starts awesome the rest of time. I have thrown a crank sensor at it to try and fix problem. Only once did the check engine light come on when it died and stayed on for short period of time otherwise it doesn't. MODS done to bike are Bassani slip ons, stage one kit and power commander. This problems was occurring before any mods were done. I have scoured many forums for help. I also have the service and diagnostics manuals which don't help with intermittent problem. Thinking along the lines of bank angle sensor, ignition switch or maybe run/kill switch. Fuel pump was replaced in 2013 and I have "wiggle tested harness. Any advice is greatly appreciated----cannot trust bike at all

Old 05-01-2017, 07:11 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

If the light came on theres a code stored. Retrieve the code

Old 05-01-2017, 07:28 AM
Hawk66
Advanced

Light came on once last year and went out. Battery has since been disconnected for storage. Light did not come on when it died in middle of intersection nor has it come on when bike cuts out and kicks back in on its own.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:37 AM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Check your spark plug wires rubbing on the tank. Usually it's the front wire rubbing. Worth looking into. Hope you fix it man. If possible return here and let us know what you found. Maybe can help someone else out.
Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
RebelRook (06-13-2020)
Old 05-01-2017, 07:53 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Not sure how advanced the bike systems are but cars store pending codes before setting a light. Want's to see the problem repeatedly before turning on the light but its there for us to use to help diagnose an intermittent problem.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:55 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

First thing a lot of Harley techs will do is pull out the power commander, which is simple as the to sockets that go to it from the bike are male/female and just plug them together.

Run it like that for a bit while and see if the problem is still there. It very well may be, but it's worth eliminating. Also look at all the battery connections and the battery ground. Sounds like your just losing spark, which would tie back to power source. Do you lose lights too? How does it "start back up" do you pull in the clutch and actually restart the bike? Or do you just "jump" it by engaging the clutch in gear?

Old 05-01-2017, 10:20 AM
Hawk66
Advanced

if plug wire was rubbing I would think it would be missing at least randomly which it isn't but I will check them. Problem was happening before Power Commander was installed. I installed it because I didn't like the Cobra module that was installed and thought that could be the issue so took the opportunity to upgrade it. When it happens, I do not lose any electrical accessories..i.e lights, instruments. Harnesses have been wiggle tested. Connections at battery checked and grounds cleaned and tightened. When it quickly cuts out at highways speeds, I don't have time to do anything but pull in clutch if that and start looking to move over--I don't hit start. The couple times I rode it to a stop, I just pulled in the clutch and it the start button. The only things of note that I have done since I drove it 1700 miles from Florida were the VSS that went completely out on the trip and once in the garage my foot slipped out from under me and the bike tipped and I had to reset the bank angle sensor. A soft tip if there is such a thing. It didn't bang over- I just laid it on its side.

Last edited by Hawk66; 05-01-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:23 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

No mention of miles on bike.
Why was fuel pump replaced in 2013 ?
Your description almost sounds like there is a pin hole in the internal fuel line but not really.
Alternatively maybe there is a loose wire or bad contact like the run/stop switch.
Did someone change bars on the bike?
You have an ULTRA, a lot of wires run in the wire loom into fairing and bars...with bike on and you sitting on the bike does turning the bars cause any change?
With engine running...Try having someone hit the end of the bar grips and bars with a rubber hammer and investigate for a stumble as you turn from full left to full right while they hit the bars.

Last edited by im; 05-01-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Hawk66
Advanced

As far as pending codes, I'm honestly not sure if Harleys store them. On cars, even pending codes will clear after so many cycles or the battery is disconnected. But the check engine light has not come on since I got it out of storage but to be fair its barely riding season in minnesota and I've hardly ridden it.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Hawk66
Advanced

Bike has 72k. It was a cousins bike who passed away unexpectedly and I didn't want it to go to a stranger. Don't know a lot of history but have talked to his best friends who were with him when it went out. It was a crank-no start problem. Thought about internal fuel lines but fuel level makes no difference. I put new bars on but then again the problem was pre-existing to them. I have wiggle tested all harnesses including fairing and whacked controls with screwdriver handle while turning forks--nothing. never misses a beat

Quick Reply: Bike dies/shuts off while riding