Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop American Elite Road Test Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 05:16 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts
Default Dunlop American Elite Road Test Review

UPDATE at Post #36

This post is not intended to be a best of or anything else but I had my first opportunity to put my new Dunlops to the test today and just wanted to share my thoughts.

I did a 160 mile trip consisting of about 2/3rds' interstate and 1/3 twisty mountain highway. They performed flawlessly throughout. Headed up the 15 to 138 to Hwy. 2 (Angeles Crest Highway). Those of you that have had the opportunity to ride this highway know there are many things that come into play. Rockslides (and sand and gravel that they bring), pinecones, a crap load of sport bikes and sports cars and in my view, the worst of all, the cyclists. But it's a shared highway, to be enjoyed by all.

Since I got out early I was at least able to avoid many of the sportbikers (they were sleeping in this morning). The road was fairly clear of rocks today and almost no pinecones so it made for a great ride. My speeds in the twisties were about 5-10% above what my normal speeds are. Tires held great, never did I get any sign of breaking loose, even in some of the bit of sand/gravel left from the occasional rock slide. Lines held much truer than what I am used to and that was what got my attention early on and that allowed me to increase my speed a little and push just a little harder.

I've been running the Metzeler's (880's and then 888's) and I can honestly say these Dunlops performed remarkably better. I had thought I would try the Michellin Commanders next time but if these Dunlops give me the kind of mileage I got from the Metz's it's gonna' be hard to get me off of them.

Last edited by danzio; 07-30-2017 at 11:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by danzio:
DaleM1 (05-06-2021), Uncle Larry (05-05-2021)
Old 05-20-2017, 05:49 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

I have American Elites on my Sportster and like them a lot. Seem to be a good compromise between performance and longevity. Will most likely replace the OEM tires on my Street Glide with these when the time comes.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:23 PM
TXNT
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

I just put american elites on my softail, I like them. Been running Elite 3's on my touring bike for years and they always hold up well. About to go to Elite 4's.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:19 AM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

i put the american elites on my 08 ultra and i can't believe the difference from the 402's.they handle the tar road snakes remarkably well,and steel deck bridges also.with the dunlop 402's you had better be hanging on.i have just under 8000 miles on them and there still 50% or more tread left.the 402's would be just about shot.they work very well in the rain to.although i will admit the 402's hold better in heavy rain.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:24 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I like them as well, it's very similar to the Elite III. I like the way better than the Michelins C II, I Actually liked the regular commanders better hand than the new generation.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:28 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio

I've been running the Metzeler's (880's and then 888's) and I can honestly say these Dunlops performed remarkably better. I had thought I would try the Michellin Commanders next time but if these Dunlops give me the kind of mileage I got from the Metz's it's gonna' be hard to get me off of them.
I too ran the 880's for the longest time. Switched to the Elite3's which were very similar in handling but longer lasting. Last tire change I went with American Elite's since they started making the size I needed and I agree, what a great handling tire and if you are like me, you will love the mileage you get from them. I have a little over 6,000 on my set and the rears look like I could get another 6k easily. Previously got about 8K on a rear and 16K on the front.

Last edited by elPrez; 05-21-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:10 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

been running stock dunlops on my 2013 flhtk for 55000 miles with no issues. i get around 20000 on each set. can't complain.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:20 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by elPrez
I too ran the 880's for the longest time. Switched to the Elite3's which were very similar in handling but longer lasting. Last tire change I went with American Elite's since they started making the size I needed and I agree, what a great handling tire and if you are like me, you will love the mileage you get from them. I have a little over 6,000 on my set and the rears look like I could get another 6k easily. Previously got about 8K on a rear and 16K on the front.
I got just over 10K on my last two rears and change out the front on every other change. I could probably 25K on a front tire but I'm happy to put new rubber front and rear on every other change.

Just to add to my first post.

I just got back from another canyon run. This time it was Hwy. 74 (Ortega Hwy.) from Elsinore to San Juan Capistrano. Absolutely beautiful ride and the bike has never handled better. I'm sold on these tires and if I get close to 10K mileage out of 'em I see no need to try any other.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:43 AM
jlfabian
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have American Elites on my Road King. Great milage and grip. I got 15K out of my last rear tire and over 20K out of the front. Occasionally, I ride a tad harder than I should for a man my age, but hey, when you hit the twisties, it's hard to not push some. I don't do burnouts, but I don't wait for traffic at the red lights either - I either get out in front of all the cages, or I get well behind them if possible (I don't trust them, so I rely on the bike to perform accordingly).

Old 05-21-2017, 01:42 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

and made in USA

Quick Reply: Dunlop American Elite Road Test Review