Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how loud is too loud SGS

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:56 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I agree on all of the above.

I'm not sure of your experience or how long you have been riding but I have always liked a good louder tone than stock, but after ten years of riding almost daily and the continual ringing in my ears I hear constantly now, I will probably remove the cat but keep the stock mufflers on my next bike.

Nothing sounds cooler than a Harley with a nice set of pipes but after a couple of hours a day commuting or all day on a trip. I'd rather hear just the wind and my stereo. I guess I'm getting old.
I agree completely. I run Rineharts on my 09 RKC, and they sound great to me; nice "Harley" rumble, loud when i want them to be, and not so loud when I'm pulling into my garage at 5:30 am with neighbors.

My 16 Limited, stock, and both the wife and I love the quietness when riding! Will I do a stage 1, eventually, but it won't be loud.

Been riding 25 yrs, mostly around and in Shitcago, and I can say this; The distracted drivers don't care how loud your bike is, they'll still run into you. It's up to the rider to be both offensive and defensive in their driving habits.

And yes we are getting old! haha

Old 05-23-2017, 07:13 AM
Dguy
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Sound, and especially good sound, is 100% subjective to the person hearing it. When I bought my first Harley years ago I wanted it loud....it was a Harley and I wanted everyone to hear it.....as the years went by I found that just making noise wasn't cutting it anymore, I still wanted louder than stock but i didn't want the rider behind me to have to drive a mile back because he couldn't stand listening to my obnoxious pipes all day. You'll have to listen to a few to hear the sound you like. Personally I like a deeper rumble that barks when you crack it but tones down at highway speeds and is radio friendly at 60-70mph. I do not like a blatty sounding rattle that does little but raise the decibels. I have RC Xhaust now but am taking a hard look at some VH 450 destroyers. The RC's are ok but I really like the deeper sound. I remember a time when I would never look at Screamin' Eagle slip ons because they were too quiet.....they don't sound bad to me now.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:44 AM
el_diablo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have un-baffled drag pipes on my softail. My streetglide has the full V&H hi output exhaust. I've ridden with and without the baffles in the streetglide. Love the noise and it doesn't drown out the radio but makes better power with baffles so I jammed em back in.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:45 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Sound, like taste in music/interior decor/women/oil/tires, is subjective.

As mentioned before, go to a local bike night or camp out at your dealer for awhile and listen to bikes as they come in. If you hear something you like, ask the rider what they are and what they think of them. I've yet to meet a rider who didn't want to talk about their bike.

Or buy a set of Rush slip ons and call it a day. Trust me, I'm an anonymous guy on the internet.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:53 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

I'm not big on drawing attention so I don't care for loud pipes. That and I like being able to hear stuff.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:02 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by nutsandbolts5212
If you're gonna run around locally loud is ok, but road trips loud sucks, imo. As far as exhaust, go to some bike shows/rides and listen to what others have, and talk with them. You can find a happy medium between your exhaust and radio. Good luck
​​​​​​​2 things. Ear plugs. Depending on how long I will be riding, I have in the ear plugs for music, standard foam ear plugs and for quick trips to the store.... nada.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:54 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

Just run w/o mufflers like we did in the 60's. Oh yeah, that sounded like crap. But it sure was LOUD! Haven't we out grown that need to be louder than everyone else?

Old 05-23-2017, 11:20 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

D&D fat cat 2:1 will get you loud.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:22 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

I've got the old SE's on mine. Wish they were louder when I'm leaving a crowded bike night. But fine when I'm riding for 20-30 minutes or more

Old 05-23-2017, 02:31 PM
JCBGlide
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

It's too loud when your buddies make you ride last. After too many years of drag pipes, Thunderheaders, etc , as I aged, Im more prone to the mellow sound of Monster Rounds.

Quick Reply: how loud is too loud SGS