Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how loud is too loud SGS

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 08:00 PM
SoZo
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Default how loud is too loud SGS

I have a 2017 SGS and I want it quite a bit louder..

Tell me about your experiences of not enough and too much for the radio for example.

Can canned deep mufflers get too boomy at certain cruise speeds?

What exhaust ?

Thank You !

Last edited by SoZo; 05-22-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by SoZo
I have a 2017 SGS and I want it quite a bit louder..

Tell me about your experiences of not enough and too much for the radio for example.

Can canned deep mufflers get too boomy at certain cruise speeds?

What exhaust ?

Thank You !

This will likely get moved to the M8 forum, but I will go ahead and throw in my $.02......Is it new, or have you had it a while? I have about 700 miles on mine and the muffs are breaking in nicely. The sound is ratcheting up a bit and I like the tone. If yours is new, you may want to wait a bit. You might want to leave the stockers in place. I'm thinking that may be what I do....

YMMV

Lon

Old 05-22-2017, 08:15 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

If you're gonna run around locally loud is ok, but road trips loud sucks, imo. As far as exhaust, go to some bike shows/rides and listen to what others have, and talk with them. You can find a happy medium between your exhaust and radio. Good luck

Old 05-22-2017, 08:39 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by nutsandbolts5212
If you're gonna run around locally loud is ok, but road trips loud sucks, imo. As far as exhaust, go to some bike shows/rides and listen to what others have, and talk with them. You can find a happy medium between your exhaust and radio. Good luck
I agree on all of the above.

I'm not sure of your experience or how long you have been riding but I have always liked a good louder tone than stock, but after ten years of riding almost daily and the continual ringing in my ears I hear constantly now, I will probably remove the cat but keep the stock mufflers on my next bike.

Nothing sounds cooler than a Harley with a nice set of pipes but after a couple of hours a day commuting or all day on a trip. I'd rather hear just the wind and my stereo. I guess I'm getting old.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:54 PM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

What is it you want it to sound like? All advise given has been good. Too loud and a road trip suffers. Want to impress your buddies at the local pub, then go without a baffle. However no baffle will affect performance having little to no back pressure. And LEO may find you easy to ticket. So decide what you like and go from there.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:13 PM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my rineharts and they can really back when you jump on it, but like others after a bunch of years loud gets to be ear ringing. There are a lot louder than RHs but anything over stock I would also include earplugs.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:27 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,758 Likes on 6,896 Posts

I have concluded that too loud is only when you can no longer hear yourself think!

I used to own a boat with two 540 Big Blocks with Whipple Stage Two super chargers. We ran dry exhaust. Too loud was when we docked at a nice restaurant and people stood up and applauded when you cut the engines off!!

Old 05-22-2017, 10:10 PM
oasis856
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In this day & age off texting while driving at 75mph - loud is great.....Google maps just adds to the problem. Pot heads and drinking while driving doesn't help.....And I happen to live in a major metro area. I would love to switch my pipes, but I value life - loud pipes save lifes in the big city.

solution ? Wear ear plugs and keep a few extras.
Feel the rumble

Old 05-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't think there is such a thing as too loud, but I do think there is such a thing as too high pitched.
I don't really care for the high pitched rasp some exhausts cause. V&H without baffles come to mind. I love deep and loud though.

If you want loud I suggest Big City Thunders. A loud as no baffles but supplies back presseure you need so performance doesn't suffer.

Use ear plugs no matter what. It is the wind that will eventually lead to going deaf, not the sound. The ringing b4 going deaf is supposed to be worse than actually going deaf. Please wear earplugs even if you leave the exhaust stock.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:46 AM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Too loud

I just put a pair of street cannons on my 09 FLHTC. I've noticed the rasp is getting a little louder as they break in, but I've waited a long time for them so there they are!
I don't depend on loud pipes to make me safe - I practice evasive handling almost every month. Closed cars w/AC, cartoons on for the kids, bickering parents, and no pipe is loud enough.

Quick Reply: how loud is too loud SGS