Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 03:44 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,275 Likes on 1,836 Posts

0ldhippie, (and for others) I don't think your RK with "fat boy" wheels is exactly what it seems or can be applied directly to the OP's situation. although it looks Nice

The rear wheel could have come from a Fat boy or from a few others, but your 2000 uses 3/4" bearings in the rear so easier to fit an already equipped a 3/4" wheel VS. installing on the OP's 1" rear axled 2002 .

Also the Front (which is of different design) looks like a the solid wheel version used on 2002 CVO RKing, so again that's a direct swap with your 2000 RK (SEE Pic Below)

Additionally, the following post while well intended , will only result in you paying $180 (2x $89.95 kits) and then finding out the wheels still won't fit, but the post was definitely well intended

Originally Posted by grbrown
...A quick way to swap bearing size is to buy H-D bearing kits. They come with a pair of bearings (use 1", same size as your current wheels) plus the spacer that goes inside the hub between them. They are intended for fitting new custom wheels, but provide all the parts you need. I did that when fitting later spec wheels to my older bike.
To finish, without going into all the details of making FL Softail wheels fit a Touring Bike (particularly the Front), it can be done, but it will be harder than what you are hoping for and possibly more than you are prepared to do.

Good luck, wishing you well

The following users liked this post:
simple softail (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 05:21 PM
simple softail
Road Warrior
Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

Been kinda busy and have learned that I was wrong when I posted that my sons bike was a 2002. Actually it is a 2001 FLHRI which from what I have read and has the 3/4 rear axle so I am assuming that the 2013 rear wheel from a Heritage Softail would be a direct replacement correct?

Now I hate to ask but "multihdrdr" what would be involved in swapping the stock front wheel from the '13 Heritage out with the stock wheel of the '01 RK?

Just asking because I'm sure if the rear wheel will swap no problem my son would be ok with having miss-matched wheels but may change his mind later on.

Thanks to all you guys for your help on this.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:06 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,924 Likes on 3,598 Posts

Word of caution, got burned by wheel swap advice on this forum before. Try to find someone who has done the exact wheel swap already, not someone who thinks it will work. If no luck, then you can't get much better than multihdrdr.

Last edited by roussfam; 06-04-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

When I was in the market for my wheels on my bike, I found that Softail wheels are different than Touring wheels. Not sure in what ways but axle and bearing sizes, offsets and inability for the front to take 2 rotors may be part of it.

While some on here will react in horror, I have found that my DNA wheels have worked great and were far less expensive than many other custom wheels so that may be an option instead of trying to make Softail wheels fit a Touring bike.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:36 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by simple softail
Been kinda busy and have learned that I was wrong when I posted that my sons bike was a 2002. Actually it is a 2001 FLHRI which from what I have read and has the 3/4 rear axle so I am assuming that the 2013 rear wheel from a Heritage Softail would be a direct replacement correct?

Now I hate to ask but "multihdrdr" what would be involved in swapping the stock front wheel from the '13 Heritage out with the stock wheel of the '01 RK?

Just asking because I'm sure if the rear wheel will swap no problem my son would be ok with having miss-matched wheels but may change his mind later on.

Thanks to all you guys for your help on this.
I hate to discourage you, but I think you should stop trying to use the Heritage wheels and pick a different path.

The front has no provision for the Right Side rotor (as mentioned) and has a different bearing-to-rotor mtg surface relationship (dimensionally) than the Touring front.

The Rear just flat out won't fit...
Your 2013 Rear Heritage wheel is a "Wide Hub" wheel and it won't fit the Touring without machine work.

Here's a thread where Mike Lawless machined a "Wide Hub" into a narrower hub to fit his 2006 softail (same idea for the "Touring", but different laced-in rim-to-hub offset than "Touring")
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/wheel...ment-help.html

That being said, your son's 01 RK Rear Wheel having a 3/4" bearing opens up quite a few more possibilities for replacement wheels without any mods.

You can use any of the following 16x3" REAR Wheels with only making sure you have the correct center spacer sleeve and installing 3/4" bearings if needed...
2000-07 Sportster
2000-05 Dyna
2000-08 Touring
2000-02 Softail

Last edited by multihdrdr; 06-05-2017 at 01:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
simple softail (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 03:19 AM
simple softail
Road Warrior

Thanks so much for the reply multihdrdr. Advice will be taken to choose a different path.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:22 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

As you can see by my list, there are many models to choose from (same wheel...Dimensionally).

Post up any question you might have while searching for a replacement wheel. Also I can confirm center sleeve length or Assy if you happen to know the exact application said wheel came from.

good luck

Old 06-05-2017, 10:54 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Are those Hookers on your softail? You like? How's the sound?

Old 06-05-2017, 11:15 PM
simple softail
Road Warrior

Not Hookers but the name escapes me right now. They were on the bike when I bought it. The po called them one-offs, said the bike was shipped to cali for them to be made then shipped back to Georgia.
I'll let you know when I come up with the name.
Thanks again for all the help with the wheel stuff

Old 06-05-2017, 11:40 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

They kinda look like these Hookers (the OP says they're hookers), although on a dyna

Name:  S6301307.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  192.1 KB

Quick Reply: Swapping Wheels