Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best fuel Brand to use

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 02:25 PM
ajnigli
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Best fuel Brand to use

I know this will ultimately come down to rider preference but the previous owner of my bike said he only used 93 octane from Shell and Mobil as he knew those were "good" brands of gas.

Is there any theory to this? The Mobil stations here for 93 octane are like $0.30 more expensive than say a Sams gas station or Freedom gas station.

Also, the manual says use 91 octane and Freedom has 91 octane so I was just curious to know if the supplier of fuel makes a real difference.

Curious to hear everyone's response.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:43 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 666 Posts

My opinion, based on a lot of reading on the subject, is that there's not a lot, if any, significant difference between the major brands. I try to avoid getting gas from no name mini markets where gas is a secondary product, but sometimes there is no choice. Never had a problem.

As far as octane ratings, unless you have a modified, high compression engine, using a higher octane than recommended (91 for most HD's), you are wasting money. Higher octane than needed does NOT make your bike run better.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:54 PM
Birdman2778
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I've used whatever gas I could find when I've needed to fill up. Bike always seemed to run fine as long as it had gas in it.

From what I've been told, all the gasoline flows thru the same pipe into the tanker trucks. From there, the only difference between brands is the additive packages.

The following users liked this post:
CapeGlide (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 02:54 PM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I have not found any great non-knocking gas when I upped my CR to 10.2 -1, we did a trip down to Maggie valley NC (Wheels through time museum) last month, up the road was a Shell station with 93 octane non-ethanol gas and ping was gone. Where we live up in Northern NY 91 non-ethanol still pings. We need better gas with no corn sqeesin!!!

Old 06-02-2017, 02:57 PM
ajnigli
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 53 Posts

Yeah I am not bound to 93 octane, I just used it because that was what the previous owner put in and not all places carry 91 octane. I randomly saw Freedom gas stations had 91 octane so that's what prompted the question.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:58 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Usually if a gas station just looks like a dump, than I dont go to it unless I have to. And 91/93 octane.

The following users liked this post:
destination highway (06-03-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 03:06 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Preference is always Top Tier gasoline, usually Shell or Chevron. Chevron additive package includes Techron which I like. Shell additive package is probably the best tho'. When garbage winter blend gasoline is being sold I will often blend 93 octane ethanol with 100 octane non-ethanol race fuel. I get it at the pump.

ETA I run NGK Iridium spark plugs and regularly send pics of my plugs to NGK technical support guy for evaluation. I swear he can tell what gasoline I have been running.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:14 PM
kykevinsmevin
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JMHO, but I have found my truck & bike run better/get better mpg, on Shell gas. I run highest octane they have in the bike, 87 in the truck. I currently use 91 octane non- ethanol from a Coastal brand station. I prefer to run non-ethanol in my vehicles, but if I can't find any I default back to Shell. I agree with Birdman2778 that it probably all depends on the addititive packages also.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:14 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

I can tell a difference in the way my bike runs and my truck. I was getting a minor skip in my truck I had been using gas from prkrs the last 3 fill ups I decided to try Amoco It was .06 cents higher . The fuel light had just come on, I filled up with 87 octane and by the time I got home the skip was gone and truck is running like new. I decided to use same gas in my ultra and it seems crisper and more responsive than before. I have read that the cheap gas is what is left over after the premium stations get their tanks filled. Thus meaning it is not as fresh as the premium stations. I only run 93 in the ultra.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 560 Posts

[QUOTE=Birdman2778;16297355

From what I've been told, all the gasoline flows thru the same pipe into the tanker trucks. From there, the only difference between brands is the additive packages.[/QUOTE]
This is true, my BIL works for the biggest gas and oil distributor in the seattle area. Arco is the exception tot the rule as they have their own refinery. Texico, Shell, Cheveron, 76 and all others get their gas from the same rack the only difference is a couple of gallons of soap (additive). The mom and pop stores ( unbranded) will have a mixture of branded. When the trucks go deliver to Shell the remaining fuel can and will get dumped in a unbranded stores tank. I do go out of my way to get my fuel. I look for ethanol free 91+ gas.
https://pure-gas.org/

Quick Reply: Best fuel Brand to use