Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can someone give me instruction as how to change fork oil, seals, bushings & guides on my 09 Street glide?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 01:59 AM
jrb522
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone give me instruction as how to change fork oil, seals, bushings & guides on my 09 Street glide?

Hey Everybody, I'm new to the forum, this is my first posting. I apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong forum and for it being too long. Here's my question. I live in Northern California and I'm a "fair" mechanic and have done some basic maintenance on my bike(s) in the past: oil changes, plugs, plug wires, starter, triple tree, air cleaner on my '04 Dyna Low Rider. 3 years ago I bought a 2009 Street Glide (with 20k miles) that someone put a lot of money into. (I have all the documentation as well) Between late 2009 to late 2010, the previous owner did the following: 106" S&S Engine, Cylinder Kit, Twin Cam Port & Polished 4 3/8 Flywheel, Pro Clutch Kit, Compression Release. Knight Prowler Cams, Evo Spring Kit, ThunderMax , 2-1 exhaust, Works Performance Steel Tracker 13' Shocks, Custom stereo, etc. I LOVE IT! Way more power than i'll ever need. I Didn't need to do anything but RIDE!

To date, I haven't had ANY problems with the bike. Last November I did my 25K service and put new tires on it. I dont ride nearly as much due to work, family, weather. Unless it's 68 degrees and clear skies, I dont ride. However, once the weather turns to late spring, I take my bike to work 3 out of 4 days a week.

A few weeks ago, I came home from work, after a 1/2, I went out to the garage and noticed a HUGE puddle on the front left side of the wheel of what I thought was brake fluid. I checked the master cylinder reservoir and it wasn't low. I looked at where the banjo bolt and brake line come in and thought that's where the leak was. I was short on cash and decided to wait till the first to replace the crush washers & banjo bolt. In the meantime I went to all the HD forums, you tube, etc researching this issue. About a week later, I started the bike warmed it up for 5 mins, pulled out of the driveway for 200 feet, turned around and parked it in the garage. Where there was plenty of light and no vehicles. inside of 5 mins, the bike started leaking again, but it wasn't from the front left caliper, banjo bolt, brake line area like I had thought, it was leaking from the left fork tube.

After researching the costs (anywhere from $450-$600) to have my forks serviced and kitted at a shop/dealer: they'll replace the seals, bushings, guides, washers and oil. The fork kits run about $45-$60 a side, + 2 pints of fork oil at $8 a pint. It's about $120 for parts. I feel fairly confident that I can complete this. Any suggestions or words of advice?
I really appreciate the posts in here. As most people are really helpful. Thanks again

Leak on 6-8-17

Leak on 6-8-17

Leak on 6-8-17

Leak on 6-8-17

Old 06-17-2017, 02:26 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Look at YouTube howto videos. Also purchase a service manual for your model bike. You'll need both.

The following users liked this post:
jrb522 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 02:44 AM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Check out Motorcycle Metal, a sponsor on this site,Howard has a good video on how to go through your front forks on his site.You may also want to consider upgrading your front end for a few dollars more,Progressive offers one of the more popular kits,while you are at it.

jrb522 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 05:30 AM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Do you have a service manual? If not purchase one,you will be glad you did.It is a must if your going to do things yourself.

Just Me (06-19-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 06:52 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I would take a look at the bearings/races in the triple trees while you're at it.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:14 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

You could rebuild them, you will need a manual or YouTube, make sure you know how to document your put back together. Take lots of photos for reference

Old 06-17-2017, 07:21 AM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

This is the best video I've found on the subject. Overall it's a fairly easy job.

You may want to consider buying a seal driver instead of rigging some pvc, and I recommend placing a washer over the seal before you drive it home. That'll make sense to you when start putting it back together.

Last edited by Flinter; 06-17-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Ragtop (06-24-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 07:45 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

watch the video, I did mine last year, not hard ,but time consuming. take detailed pics to give yourself good reference to put back together. manual is helpful, so is you tube. welcome to the forum. add a pic of the whole bike, it looks nicely done, based on brake lines and chrome legs

Old 06-17-2017, 07:56 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Flinter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmYJgcGX30

This is the best video I've found on the subject. Overall it's a fairly easy job.

You may want to consider buying a seal driver instead of rigging some pvc, and I recommend placing a washer over the seal before you drive it home. That'll make sense to you when start putting it back together.
Thanks, that was very informative as I am thinking of doing it myself, my bike has 96000 miles and I have changed the fluid like 3 times and is ready for a rebuild.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,308 Likes on 1,907 Posts
Default Service Manual pictures

2011 Service Manual:

Copyrighted material removed by moderator.

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 06-17-2017 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: can someone give me instruction as how to change fork oil, seals, bushings & guides on my 09 Street glide?