Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED bulb in tail light

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 03:13 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 944 Posts
Default LED bulb in tail light

Has anyone plugged a 3157 LED bulb in their tail light? Does it improve things, will it even work? If it works it's a cheap upgrade to the stock light.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,622 Posts

I'm not sure if thats the exact one, but yes, I replaced my stock incandescent with an LED bulb.

I have LED turn signals, and those are way brighter, so be prepared for that. But it does work, and it is brighter than stock. Superbrightleds.com can help you choose the right bulb.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:33 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 664 Likes on 346 Posts

+1 for Superbrightleds.com I have always received quality products from them.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:54 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Any CANBUS problems using LED turn indicator or taillight bulbs?

Old 06-26-2017, 04:32 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Any CANBUS problems using LED turn indicator or taillight bulbs?
I stuck an LED 3157R (The R is for red, in this case.) in my 2015 Ultra. No problem at all. Below is a comparison photo. I bought the less expensive Pilot brand. I tried the Sylvania Super Bright, but it wasn't very bright at all. Stuck the Pilot in and...well, look at the photo. Left side is the Pilot, right side is the OEM incandescent.

Side note: In most, if not all states, the registration plate is required to be illuminated with a white light. Since I used a red LED bulb, I was technically in violation of a traffic ordinance because it was illuminated by a red light. It looked kinda funky, too. Anyway, I don't care to give the cops any additional reasons to stop me, so I decided to fix it. (I'm a retired Police dispatcher. I have the utmost respect for 99% of the cops, but there's always a cowboy or two out there that like to hassle folks just cuz they can. A red illuminated tag could be a good excuse for them to light me up.) So, I covered the clear window on top with black Plasti-Dip. Then I bought a small water resistant LED strip from Wally World (or O'Reilly's ???) and wired it to the auxiliary power outlet socket in the tour pack. Glued it under the tour pack so it shines on the tag. Gives it a bright spotlight as seen in the picture.

The following users liked this post:
crazytown (05-21-2019)
Old 06-26-2017, 05:58 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 664 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank the Real Biker
I stuck an LED 3157R (The R is for red, in this case.) in my 2015 Ultra. No problem at all. Below is a comparison photo. I bought the less expensive Pilot brand. I tried the Sylvania Super Bright, but it wasn't very bright at all. Stuck the Pilot in and...well, look at the photo. Left side is the Pilot, right side is the OEM incandescent.

Side note: In most, if not all states, the registration plate is required to be illuminated with a white light. Since I used a red LED bulb, I was technically in violation of a traffic ordinance because it was illuminated by a red light. It looked kinda funky, too. Anyway, I don't care to give the cops any additional reasons to stop me, so I decided to fix it. (I'm a retired Police dispatcher. I have the utmost respect for 99% of the cops, but there's always a cowboy or two out there that like to hassle folks just cuz they can. A red illuminated tag could be a good excuse for them to light me up.) So, I covered the clear window on top with black Plasti-Dip. Then I bought a small water resistant LED strip from Wally World (or O'Reilly's ???) and wired it to the auxiliary power outlet socket in the tour pack. Glued it under the tour pack so it shines on the tag. Gives it a bright spotlight as seen in the picture.

Good call on the plate light. Looks really good!

Old 06-26-2017, 06:15 PM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I picked up a led tail light bulb from super bright lights thatS a duel beam bulb.red for the tail and white for the plate,works great much brighter then stock.part #3157-R19W6.

08xl1200r (01-27-2024)
Old 05-20-2019, 06:00 PM
captnbob
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1340hog
I picked up a led tail light bulb from super bright lights thatS a duel beam bulb.red for the tail and white for the plate,works great much brighter then stock.part #3157-R19W6.
I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a couple of the 3157-R19W6 from Superbrite and can't seem to get the to fit into the socket. Any hints on how they fit?? I don't want to push so hard as to damage the bulb or socket.
Thanks,

Old 05-20-2019, 08:10 PM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,861 Likes on 1,853 Posts

It should go in with a little more pressure if it’s the same base. I just got JDM led switchback bulbs for my front turns and a red 3157 for the tail light. Yeah, it’s not as bright as my CD rear turns, but it’s WAY brighter than a stock incandescent. Looks good in there. Very cheap too.

I noticed it it was a little harder to push in the led bulb, but it did go in. I was switching them in and out trying different colors and brightness and it loosened up a bit after a few changes.

Capnbob, what is the lumens rating of the bulb you bought?

Last edited by Cozz; 05-20-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:31 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,787 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I've seen it said in here that sometimes the bulb socket needs to be massaged at its edges to accept the LED bulbs. I personally have no experience with this.

Cozz (05-20-2019)

Quick Reply: LED bulb in tail light