Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letter from HD - Important Brake Maintenance Information

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 01:41 PM
Python357
Road Warrior
Received 1,587 Likes on 648 Posts

I got the post card a week or two ago. I thought it was odd that they are reminding me to change it every two years, but I got the card 5 years after I bought my 2012. I assumed it was just marketing to get people back into the dealer to see the new bikes, although I think changing it every two years is cheap maintenance and didn't mind the reminder...

Old 06-27-2017, 01:43 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
Yup....and it's okay.

I have to confess....I had been meaning to flush mine since the onset of spring, and kept putting it off, AND forgot altogether. I hate working with brake fluid because I'm a klutz, but I fully intended on doing it as it had been two years. That letter was my reminder and impetus for grabbing a beer last week and getting it done, so it served its purpose!
Have you tried doing the work and THEN grabbing a beer? Might cut down on the klutz factor.

The following users liked this post:
Chasingdrakes (01-22-2020)
Old 06-27-2017, 01:44 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm going out right now and just shoot my bike before the failing brakes kill me.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:47 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,951 Likes on 2,170 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Never saw a letter thread. Apologies if a repeat. Was the letter sent only to those that reported to NHTSA? All abs equipped bikes? Certain years?

I reported the failure with locked up front brake to NHTSA almost two years ago. This is the first and only letter I received. I bought the bike used , not from a dealer but the letter has my VIN on it. NHTSA has my VIN so was thinking this letter is NHTSA related.

I just checked and there are two other threads that were started by riders who received a letter. They don't say whether or not they reported to the NHTSA or not. Both posters/riders own a '13 Limited. If I recall, the NHTSA investigation only covers 2008-2011 year models. So, who knows why they received letters, but I have my suspicions as to why.

Harley is sending the letters in an attempt to cover their butts. I'd like to be a fly on the wall in their corporate offices. Something is going on and I hope the NHTSA releases their findings sooner rather than later.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:47 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Never saw a letter thread. Apologies if a repeat. Was the letter sent only to those that reported to NHTSA? All abs equipped bikes? Certain years?

I reported the failure with locked up front brake to NHTSA almost two years ago. This is the first and only letter I received. I bought the bike used , not from a dealer but the letter has my VIN on it. NHTSA has my VIN so was thinking this letter is NHTSA related.

For all the stupid stuff that gets posted and argued about on these forums, THIS is worth a hundred threads. Good post and thanks.

The following 4 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
1HD1C (06-28-2017), B Bop (09-22-2017), flash1034 (01-22-2020), Silent Glider (01-24-2020)
Old 06-27-2017, 02:12 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Python357
I got the post card a week or two ago. I thought it was odd that they are reminding me to change it every two years, but I got the card 5 years after I bought my 2012. I assumed it was just marketing to get people back into the dealer to see the new bikes, although I think changing it every two years is cheap maintenance and didn't mind the reminder...
Is your bike abs? If so, the letter is probably a cya for older equipped abs bikes. My bikes 6 years old and I reported to the NHTSA 2 years ago so not certain of HD's motivation and who received the letter. You receiving a letter, and if no abs problem, tells the story.

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I just checked and there are two other threads that were started by riders who received a letter. They don't say whether or not they reported to the NHTSA or not. Both posters/riders own a '13 Limited. If I recall, the NHTSA investigation only covers 2008-2011 year models. So, who knows why they received letters, but I have my suspicions as to why.

Harley is sending the letters in an attempt to cover their butts. I'd like to be a fly on the wall in their corporate offices. Something is going on and I hope the NHTSA releases their findings sooner rather than later.
If 12's and 13's report the same problem to NHTSA, they should be included in the investigation. The more time goes on, the more failures will be reported. I agree with the cya. And as I mentioned, HD addressed the problem with a different abs hcu supplier, Bosch, and module in 2014.

"The Reflex system features an electronically-controlled link system that connects the front and rear
calipers with the large Bosch ABS modulator mounted under the
right side frame cover of the bike."

Old 06-27-2017, 02:13 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
For all the stupid stuff that gets posted and argued about on these forums, THIS is worth a hundred threads. Good post and thanks.
No its not! I've owned new Harleys since the 1970s and every FSM carries the same advice. It is actually a century ago this year that Lockheed gave his name to the hydraulic systems we all know and love. Man has been changing the fluid every couple of years ever since. This is nothing new.....

Old 06-27-2017, 02:28 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
No its not! I've owned new Harleys since the 1970s and every FSM carries the same advice. It is actually a century ago this year that Lockheed gave his name to the hydraulic systems we all know and love. Man has been changing the fluid every couple of years ever since. This is nothing new.....
I agree with you, Gordon...it's not worth 100 threads. That being said, the vast majority have not owned Harley's since the 70's. Grab a pint and be chill!

Old 06-27-2017, 02:30 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
Have you tried doing the work and THEN grabbing a beer? Might cut down on the klutz factor.
Ha! Good idea, but I have the shakes until I've grabbed THAT beer....so it's to no avail!

Old 06-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
I'm going out right now and just shoot my bike before the failing brakes kill me.
Be sure it doesn't roll away :>)

Quick Reply: Letter from HD - Important Brake Maintenance Information