Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using Dunlop American Elite tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 11:19 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Anyone using Dunlop American Elite tires?

I’m doing a little research or best replacement tires for touring. Have read a few really good comments on Dunlop American Elite tires recently.

Before purchasing like to hear your comments.

Appreciate your insight.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Great spirits have always encountered violent oppositions from mediocre minds.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:37 PM
seanl
Road Master
Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

Yep, I went from the stock www Dunlops to the American Elites. I have less than 500 miles on them, but once they were scrubbed in I drove them out on the coast and they felt great, at least as good as the stockers.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:44 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,220 Likes on 2,467 Posts

like mine just fine. got a little over 10k miles on them and they look like they could easily go another 10...

Old 06-29-2017, 11:55 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,960 Likes on 1,687 Posts

My understanding is that the Elites are essentially identical to the stock Dunlops, except with a slight change to the tread pattern, so that Dunlop can market them to all tire distributors and indies.

And so we can buy the stock tires somewhere else besides the dealership, at significantly lower prices.

Sounds like a win.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:55 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,177 Posts

F&R on my '15 Limited. Seem to have great grip, quiet, if they last like the stock Dunlops I'll be happy. Got 19/15 F/R on those.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 06-30-2017, 12:27 AM
B Bop
Road Captain

In regards to factory Dunlop's, I'm seeing side tread cupping. Sounds like riding on a old washboard when hitting the tight corners, also vibration thinking it was a wheel bearing at first.

What causes cupping, or it related to previous bad design?

B Bop

Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session.

Last edited by B Bop; 06-30-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:38 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 545 Posts

I have the AE on my rear, matched to an Elite III on the front. 17/21 combo, with a 200/55 on the rear.

I just helped a buddy install the same tire on his bike as well - same size and all.

The AE is a dual compound tire. The sides are softer and grippier, but the center is a little harder and meant to wear longer.

Dunlop now makes an AE in the size I need for my 21 front, and I'm excited for it. These tires are fantastic and grip very well in all conditions I've thrown at them - hard rain, cold roads, mountain passes, interstates, and some really hot days too.

I can't imagine I'd look to another tire with how well these perform - and on top of all that, the mileage is pretty great so far. I expect to get at least 12k, if not more, from them.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:42 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Yup, and I love them.
Very much like stock but with slight changes in the right direction.
Like HD tires were their real life testing ground.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:09 AM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

If you search the forum you'll find many threads on tires, including Dunlop AE. You'll also find a lot of different opinions and experiences.

My .02.

I'd always had the stock Dunlops and been happy with them. Last time I changed both front and rear with Dunlop AE. The first few thousand miles were great. But then they started cupping on the sides, causing the bike to act squirrelly in the corners. Personally, I won't buy another one.

Also, a side note. I asked the Dunlop representative at Sturgis a couple years ago what the differences between the stock and AE's were. Among other things, the AE is dual compound as someone else mentioned and the AE has 1/32 more tread on the tire. They are not the same tire with a different tread design.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:22 AM
B Bop
Road Captain

So it's the same cupping on factory Dunlop's & on the newer AE's as well?

B Bop

A politician is a fellow who will lay down “your” life for his country.

Quick Reply: Anyone using Dunlop American Elite tires?