Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Speedometer Replacement - Adjusting Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:04 AM
Fine09
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Speedometer Replacement - Adjusting Mileage

I'm having problems with my speedo on my 09 RK. So far, I can't find any problems with the wiring. I have power and ground all the way up to the gauge.

If I have to replace the speedo itself, is there a way to adjust the new odometer to read the same as the current odometer reading or do I just need to keep a record of the mileage at the time of the change since I believe it is still against the law to tamper with odometer readings? If I am not able to adjust the reading, that would mean that I have to indicate on the title that the odometer is not correct when (if) I sell the bike in the future. Who has changed their speedo and what did you do?

Old 07-24-2017, 01:06 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Speedo Replacement

I replaced mine about 4 months ago. If you are going to stay with an HD speedo, then you tell them what the mileage is when you order the new one. It took about 2-3 weeks for the new one to come in and I did not ride that bike while I waited for the replacement.
It sucks because it let water in when the bike was just off the showroom floor. I tried to get HD to replace it and they said no...If they leak, it's just a matter of time.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:22 PM
Fine09
Cruiser

Good to know. This past week the speedo has started working intermittently. I checked the power and ground at the connector with my meter when it wasn't working and I still had good power/ground. I worked through the checklist in the manual (sections 2.2 and 2.3) but it kept leading me to the conclusion that there was a bad ground. I checked all the wiring, twisting and turning it up and down the harness but couldn't get it to flicker so I'm not convinced that the problem is in the wiring. I am going to check everything again though before I pay for a new speedo. I found a used one on ebay for about $95 which is better than $250 at the dealership.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:41 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,526 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I would go with the HD speedo/tach combo, easy upgrade.
I did, and it's great.

The following users liked this post:
Slowpoke62 (07-25-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:37 PM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's an 09 ,So when you replace the speedo the Brain box / ECM will put the miles back that was in the brain box . no matter how many times you replace it. it's electronically calibrated .I also hope your problem is not like what happen to mine , My speedo some times reads 145,000 , but its actually only 45,000 . the dealer replaced the ECM to get it back to normal . As their is no way I can ride 145,000 in a year .

Last edited by angelrod; 07-24-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Fine09
Cruiser

Originally Posted by angelrod
it's an 09 ,So when you replace the speedo the Brain box / ECM will put the miles back that was in the brain box . no matter how many times you replace it. it's electronically calibrated .
That's great news. Now I don't have to worry about keeping up with the original mileage. I still haven't been able to verify whether it is the wiring or the gauge. Since the problem has been occurring off and on for the last 7 - 10 days, I may replace the gauge and see if that takes care of it.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:43 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 622 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by angelrod
it's an 09 ,So when you replace the speedo the Brain box / ECM will put the miles back that was in the brain box . no matter how many times you replace it. it's electronically calibrated .
Not so sure about that? I replaced my black gauges on my 2012 UC with silver gauges from a 2012 SG. The odometer started counting up from the mileage that was on the used SG speedo...not my original mileage. Can't remember exactly but it was quite low...about 650 miles on it and that's where it started counting. My mileage was about 10,500 higher so I just need to add it to the current readout. My ECM most definitely did not "auto correct" the mileage.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:10 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,220 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Fine09
That's great news. Now I don't have to worry about keeping up with the original mileage. I still haven't been able to verify whether it is the wiring or the gauge. Since the problem has been occurring off and on for the last 7 - 10 days, I may replace the gauge and see if that takes care of it.
Originally Posted by lefty33
Not so sure about that? I replaced my black gauges on my 2012 UC with silver gauges from a 2012 SG. The odometer started counting up from the mileage that was on the used SG speedo...not my original mileage. Can't remember exactly but it was quite low...about 650 miles on it and that's where it started counting. My mileage was about 10,500 higher so I just need to add it to the current readout. My ECM most definitely did not "auto correct" the mileage.
i'm also not so sure on that. I do know that when I replaced the speedo on the wife's bike (installed the cvo gauges in place of the stock), it took 30 miles to 'lock' to the ecm and I also had to have the dealer order it with a mileage already put in it.

I've heard where some folks were able to swap speedos, and where some were not. those who were not would get a 'vinerr' display in their odo. I don't know what the differences were, whether it was by year, or what. but before I laid out the cash for a used speedo, I would want to make sure that it was going to work first.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 622 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i'm also not so sure on that. I do know that when I replaced the speedo on the wife's bike (installed the cvo gauges in place of the stock), it took 30 miles to 'lock' to the ecm and I also had to have the dealer order it with a mileage already put in it.

I've heard where some folks were able to swap speedos, and where some were not. those who were not would get a 'vinerr' display in their odo. I don't know what the differences were, whether it was by year, or what. but before I laid out the cash for a used speedo, I would want to make sure that it was going to work first.
Agreed with skratch...I did a bunch of reading and research and the conclusion I came up with is that if you want to switch out speedos, the only way to get the correct mileage is to order NEW from the dealer. Takes longer as the mothership builds you a "custom" speedo with your current mileage in it to start.

No error messages on the used speedo/odo that I installed. Plug & play...just started out with the mileage the seller told me was on it. No big deal as I wanted the silver gauges, so just add my old mileage to the new mileage. Good Luck!

Old 07-26-2017, 09:24 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 828 Posts

I believe it changes with the can-bus on the 14's and newer. I bought a CVO speedo with 2400 miles on it, plugged it in and got the vin err in the display. I did some research and if you buy a new speedo, you attach a cable when you first plug it in and it reads the BCM and programs the speedo automatically. Then after 31 miles it is married to the bike.

Quick Reply: New Speedometer Replacement - Adjusting Mileage