Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Road King questions and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 07:55 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 07 Road King questions and opinions

I am going to look at an 07 Road king on Sunday, it is Black Cherry pearl with 61000 miles on it. The dealership did a lot of work after taking it in on trade and the bike looks really nice. They rebuilt the tranny, new clutch, new SE compensator, new clutch and throttle cables, new wiring to all front lights and new lights, new rear brake calipers and brakes, all fluids changed and new starter. Apparently the previous owner had hard bags and a fairing and he wired in a stereo and butchered the wires, thats why the new wires up front. Fairing is gone and so are hard bags, they put Road King hard leather ones on. I am currently on a 07 FXD, seen in my sig. and want to upgrade to something a little more stable and comfortable for longer rides. The ask on this bike is $8995. Should I be afraid of 61000 miles? i know the compensator is a big issue on the 07 through 12 motors, just replaced mine. Anything else I should look for? any opinions are welcome and I know, if I like it, get it but the 61000 miles do scare me a little. scratches on the left side of the tank are the only issues cosmetically.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:02 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts
Default Road king

I wouldn't let the mileage be the thing that scares you away. No mention of the cam shoes getting looked at? I know they're the hydraulic style but at 61k probably deserve a look. I'd be thinking about all the work they had to do to this bike to get it back to being sellable...seems like the po didn't have the money to keep the bike up...which would make me worry about what kind of maintenance was done on the bike over its lifetime. Not to mention the price seems a little steep. Good luck either way

Last edited by Screamin beagle; 07-28-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:11 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the cam shoes at 62k... mine were like new at 52k... this is not a bad deal...

Old 07-28-2017, 08:54 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
I wouldn't let the mileage be the thing that scares you away. No mention of the cam shoes getting looked at? I know they're the hydraulic style but at 61k probably deserve a look. I'd be thinking about all the work they had to do to this bike to get it back to being sellable...seems like the po didn't have the money to keep the bike up...which would make me worry about what kind of maintenance was done on the bike over its lifetime. Not to mention the price seems a little steep. Good luck either way
I thought about all that to, not sure the P O took very good care of it for all that to need done. Not many dealers I trust but the one that has this bike has always been up front and the mechanics all claim they would ride the bike anywhere now, motor is strong apparently.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:01 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer

Well, that was a disappointment. I went to the dealer and took this bike for a test ride. Immediately noticed the handlebars were bent, my right hand was about 1 inch closer to me than my left. Bike started right up, motor moved around a lot but didn't think much until I went out on the road. If I pulled the clutch in and let the bike coast, the front end bounced around pretty good, it you gave her just a little gas, no bounce. Got back and checked the front motor mount and it appeared shot. when I asked about these two things, I was told the dealership "was done" with this bike and they were not doing anything else to it, if I wanted to buy it, they would fix it, at my cost. With that and a lowball offer on my FXD and a refusal to lower the asking price, I rode home on my FXD. The search will continue, thanks for your input guys.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

You can find better than that...

Old 08-03-2017, 10:04 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Dealer has a lotta nerve selling a POS like that. AND, by saying they were "done with it", I wouldn't even consider buying a spark plug from them.

I've said it before & I'll say it again...never EVER buy "used" from a dealer. Always buy lo-mile mint from a private party, and you can prolly get THAT for close to the same price.

Also, I was suspicious about the RK Custom leather bags...They prolly replaced them 'cause it was easier to order leather bags instead of "paint to match" hard bags that were prolly destroyed when the PO dumped the biotch.

Don't consider it a disappointment. Consider it your lucky day.

Last edited by dickey; 08-03-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:33 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

theres a lot of great deals out there.
friend of mine just picked up an 07 ultra limited 22k miles po totally built the crap out of it. every detail,went through the engine, new crank like he was reading the forum all day. no detail over looked. $8500

started looking on monday and bought it on friday

Last edited by voodoodrug; 08-04-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:48 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

107 ci with a list of engine upgrades

Attached Thumbnails 07 Road King questions and opinions-img_2456-1-.jpg  
Old 08-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleMc0622
Well, that was a disappointment. I went to the dealer and took this bike for a test ride. Immediately noticed the handlebars were bent, my right hand was about 1 inch closer to me than my left. Bike started right up, motor moved around a lot but didn't think much until I went out on the road. If I pulled the clutch in and let the bike coast, the front end bounced around pretty good, it you gave her just a little gas, no bounce. Got back and checked the front motor mount and it appeared shot. when I asked about these two things, I was told the dealership "was done" with this bike and they were not doing anything else to it, if I wanted to buy it, they would fix it, at my cost. With that and a lowball offer on my FXD and a refusal to lower the asking price, I rode home on my FXD. The search will continue, thanks for your input guys.

With all that fixing they did to it, be thankful I think you dodged a bullet there

Quick Reply: 07 Road King questions and opinions