Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearings 09 - 13

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 01:49 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Wheel Bearings 09 - 13

I have a 09 UC EG (FLHTCU) with ABS Brakes. 90,000 kM. I have gone through the original wheel bearings, plus I have now changed all bearing both front and back for the 2nd time.

First indication of a problem was the rear ABS sensor went dead. Upon checking found the bearing was destroyed and took out the sensor.

Anybody else going through bearings like this. Seems to me these bearings are just too small for the job they are supposed to be doing. I have saw somewhere H-D advertised these bearing should last 100,000 miles.

Getting to the point bearings, should be completely changed out every time you change the tires just to be on the safe side.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:23 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

i have 3 bikes, all three with the exception of 1 rear wheel where im running 1 inch bearings are 25 mm. i have had 1 bearing failure between all of them. it was at 10 k on a bike i purchased used that was a garage queen.

i ride approx 25k a year.

that being said, i now change bearings with each tire change. which means, fronts are about every 20k and rears about every 15k.

bearings are cheaper and changing them make sense.

i ride all weather, hot or cold, rain, shine or other.

change the bearings and accept the fact you cant take em out and repack them like old days. its a wear part like brake pads, tires and lifters.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:16 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

I had to changed my original abs wheel bearings on both the front a rear wheels at less than 5000 miles. Both had very rough spots and were quite noisy. Worse part was the bearings didn't last for half the life of the tires.

The second set of abs bearings lasted for about 25,000 miles before they started feeling rough. This time I decided to try a set of All ***** bearings since they claim to use a double lip seal. I changed these myself and found a considerable buildup of water in the cavity inside the wheel. The bike has never been washed with a pressure washer and has not been riden in any major rain for almost a year. I dried the wheels out the best I could, and I plan on pulling the bearings on the next wheel change to see if water is accumulating in the rims again.

The normal non-abs bearings in both cases were in perfectly good condition. The rear pulley is still using the original bearings which are the same as the non-abs wheel bearings. In my case I suspect the abs bearings have a poor seal on the inside part of the bearing. The outside section appears to be sealed good with a sealed on the outside then again between the sensor and the bearing. I figure once water starts building up inside the wheel it is only a matter of time before it washes the grease out of the abs bearing.

Last edited by Sparkee...; 08-27-2017 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Spelun
Old 08-27-2017, 03:54 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
i have 3 bikes, all three with the exception of 1 rear wheel where im running 1 inch bearings are 25 mm. i have had 1 bearing failure between all of them. it was at 10 k on a bike i purchased used that was a garage queen.

i ride approx 25k a year.

that being said, i now change bearings with each tire change. which means, fronts are about every 20k and rears about every 15k.

bearings are cheaper and changing them make sense.

i ride all weather, hot or cold, rain, shine or other.

change the bearings and accept the fact you cant take em out and repack them like old days. its a wear part like brake pads, tires and lifters.
True you can't repack them quite the same way as cone roller bearings, but you certainly can repack them. I always pop the seals off and clean the grease out and replace with a quality grease, and then install properly. I haven't had any issues since I started doing this in my bikes, or anyone else's I work on.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:00 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
True you can't repack them quite the same way as cone roller bearings, but you certainly can repack them. I always pop the seals off and clean the grease out and replace with a quality grease, and then install properly. I haven't had any issues since I started doing this in my bikes, or anyone else's I work on.
totally agree with you, you can pack if you want. i just think it, easier to just replace during tire change. i change my own tires and have the bearing tool. cheap insurance, i think i gave $8 bucks per bearing for the last ones i changed. at that price i dont worry.

heck, i spent that much just riding by a Harley store and not going inside

Old 08-27-2017, 11:52 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts

Here are the Japanese bearings that PM / Performance Machine uses in their
custom wheels - same size as HD oem but ABS sensor bearing is NA so you're
on your own to pick one. Size is 6205-2NSE9 - a sport bike racing bearing for
bikes that weigh less than half of a HD.

link - https://www.nachi-fujikoshi.co.jp/en...pdf/B3402E.pdf

Last edited by lightweight bob; 08-31-2017 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Forgot to post link
Old 08-28-2017, 12:15 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,606 Posts

I currently have a '13 CVO Ultra with close to 33,000 miles on it and I'm on the OEM bearings (2nd set of tires).

In my48+ years of riding I have never had to replace a single wheel bearing but now you folks have me ponerding if I should have all replaced at the next tire change?

What cost are we talking here?
I'm a huge believer in PM so I'm hoping that I can make it to the next tire change.

FWIW-- I've also never had to replace a voltage regulator on a motorcycle but I have on this one at 25,000 miles and I've also now replaced TWO horns (the last one didn't make it through this season) so Im starting to think H-D may have some crappy suppliers!

Old 08-28-2017, 01:38 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I change mine out with tires. I lost the fronts in my 09 twice and said no more bs-ing around with the things.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:24 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Do it once and do it right.
www.worldwidebearings.com

Old 08-31-2017, 08:22 AM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Bearings are cheap,catastrophic bearing failure at 80 miles an hour is not!!!Stock harley bearings do have issues.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearings 09 - 13