Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Radios & HD touring bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Have few friends with pre Rushmore bikes with the CB they never use it but on the other hand me and wife we always use it. When she brought her M8 CVO SG home she got bug in her eye and felt the need for it right there and I added it ASAP.So it's depend if you have few people you need to stay in touch with you or you just want to listen to some truckers to entertain you.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:31 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,758 Likes on 6,896 Posts

On a recent ride I was able to talk to my buddy on his cell phone from my cell phone both Bluetooth through the Boom. It worked MUCH better than the CB, more clear, no distance/range issues and no pushing a button to speak. I am glad my 2016 does have a CB, but if if did not I would not miss it. Too many better options today and most are much cheaper and considerably better.

The following users liked this post:
Doc Intrepid (09-11-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 01:19 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,958 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I added the CB to my Wife's 15 RGS so we could talk, as my 15 SERGU had it. Since then we have always put CB's on our bikes.

My wife's 7 road glide special has the CB and my 18 CVO Road glide has the CB

Old 09-10-2017, 04:02 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

I've had this bike three years and haven't enabled the CB. Next trip I'll turn it on and see what's out there. The comments that truckers aren't using it anymore have got me interested to try it on the road.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:11 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,958 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by cficole
I've had this bike three years and haven't enabled the CB. Next trip I'll turn it on and see what's out there. The comments that truckers aren't using it anymore have got me interested to try it on the road.
Truckers are still using the CB. I find them on channel 19.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:20 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Use it many times in the Patriot Guard, and when riding with others. But the range sucks!!! Lucky if in the clear open you can communicate 100 yds.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:00 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
Truckers are still using the CB. I find them on channel 19.
Thanks, Dave. I remember when it was 11 and 19. I don't remember which was first, but it got so crowded a lot of truckers moved to the other channel.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:49 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

First off, how can you communicate with someone (like a trucker for example) on a cell phone if you don't have their number????????

My last 2 long distance trips this year = CB use was almost non existent. Thankfully that's not what I want a CB for.

Someone told me truckers went to single sideband - whatever that is.

Sailmotion, turn down the volume of the CB and it won't scare the $hit out of you.
The CB I installed on my '14 works great and has a range of about 1/2 mile. Works great for our little band of riders wherever we go - also for our HOG chapter rides.

19 = truckers -well, use to be.
9 = emergency
4 = our chapter

We live in a great world where people that want a CB can have one and those that don't - don't.

I had an accident on the Pig Trail in Arkansas a few years back. Of the 20 or so riders in our group not one had cell phone reception - CB's worked like a charm.

I wouldn't be without one - period!!

The following 2 users liked this post by GARY DYER:
cw4pilot (10-05-2019), Doc Intrepid (09-16-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 09:18 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,501 Likes on 1,608 Posts

My last bike as well as my current bike had a CB radio.
I used the CB on my last bike much more than I have on my current bike, especially on my trip to AK and I think it had more range with the big "whip" antennas that the little "shorties" that I have on my current bike.

I had a CB back when we had to have a FCC license (I still remember my call letters) and not much has changed.
There are still many idiots out there who like to use the mic to start trouble and use foul language but on the other hand there are more nice folks than bad.
True, a cell phone is clearer and also has unlimited range but as someone else noted, how do you get someone's number that you want to talk with?

I doubt that I'll get it on my next bike/trike as I'm not willing to pay that much for the CB but they can come in handy sometimes.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
"I had an accident on the Pig Trail in Arkansas a few years back. Of the 20 or so riders in our group not one had cell phone reception - CB's worked like a charm."
This was mostly what I had in mind. I've done quite a bit of touring, and its surprising the number of interstate sections where I've had little or zero bars on my cell phone. If anything went sideways out there, my cell phone wouldn't be of much use. I'm looking for a secondary comm option, and the CB offers that - understanding that transmission range isn't optimal. Possibly a different antenna may improve that. (?)

Quick Reply: CB Radios & HD touring bikes