Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 FLHTCU won't start after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 05:08 PM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taggs
The fuel lines at the fuel filter housing are not interchangeable. One leads from the fuel pump to the housing. The other takes fuel to the tank/ fuel line external connection.

Service manual would be helpful if you don't have one.
LOL - sorry, I should have been clearer. I know the lines should not be interchanged, but it looks like the fittings are identical, so it might be possible to accidentally connect them incorrectly.

Actually, I just measured the shell connectors with a caliper and one is wider than the other. Also, the manual (section 4-10) reads, "the fittings are of different sizes to prevent improper assembly" which makes is idiot (me) proof. Nevermind!

Last edited by PwnedNoob; 10-14-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:28 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

Man I hate to see guys struggle even when they have been given the answer. fuel spraying in the tank is not normal. Either the fuel filter housing or fuel lines. At 154K on my ultra I have replaced the fuel lines twice and each time the filter because I was in there. **** poor design on the fuel lines where chaffing causes a leak. Never had a housing or pump issue in that many miles.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:20 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

OP, you go this. lol!

Old 10-15-2017, 12:52 AM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 236 Likes on 155 Posts

It doesn't look like the shell is broken. Mine broke in the slots where the u-shaped metal clip goes through the holes. It was spraying around the o-ring because the shell wasn't held tight to the top plate housing. You really should have tried to find the exact area of the leak before you took it completely apart. I lifted up the top plate and watched with a flashlight while turning on the ignition. It could be a hole in a hose.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:54 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I don’t know about your’08, but my ‘03 had a Quick Connect leak. My Indy replaced the fuel line in the tank, because he said the stock one was too long, and would get a pinhole from chafing.
I paid $150 for an accurate diagnosis, and replacement of only the proper parts. It’s still works 20k miles later. This is why I don’t do repairs on my bike by throwing crap against the wall and seeing what sticks. I value the experience and knowledge of a professional. If you can’t figure it out there is no shame in using a professional.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:47 AM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate

Ah well, lessons learned. As I recall, I was about to call a tow early on when the advice I got strongly implicated the filter shell. LOL. I rewatched the short video of the internal spray and based on the orientation, it looks like it's coming from the one of the transluscent corrugated fuel lines going to the filter.

I can see stress cracks in the rectangular holes on the filter shell, so it's not a bad thing to replace it.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I don’t know about your’08, but my ‘03 had a Quick Connect leak. My Indy replaced the fuel line in the tank, because he said the stock one was too long, and would get a pinhole from chafing.
I paid $150 for an accurate diagnosis, and replacement of only the proper parts. It’s still works 20k miles later. This is why I don’t do repairs on my bike by throwing crap against the wall and seeing what sticks. I value the experience and knowledge of a professional. If you can’t figure it out there is no shame in using a professional.
For some, I agree with your logic. For those wishing to expand their knowledge in the DIY community this can be an edifying repair for a large number.

Just my humble opinion.😀

Old 10-16-2017, 07:12 AM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate

It doesn't look line the internal fuel lines are orderable separately from the fuel pump assembly. Does anyone have a recommendation for where to get replacements? It's looking more and more like a pinhole in one of those lines or a leak at the quick-disconnect at the filter shell.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:03 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 634 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Taggs
The fuel lines at the fuel filter housing are not interchangeable. One leads from the fuel pump to the housing. The other takes fuel to the tank/ fuel line external connection.

Service manual would be helpful if you don't have one.
I am certain he understands that in function, they are not interchangeable. It has been long enough since I have been in there to remember if the connections are different sizes to prevent accidentally reversing the hoses to the connections.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:42 AM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 804 Likes on 590 Posts

This thread gotten painful to read.
What a waste of valuable riding time spent chasing your tail.
I like to wrench my own as much as the next guy but if I don't know what I'm doing take it to someone that does.
Starts fine one day and then not after a battery swap, to me points to something simple.
Be a shame to have spent all this time and money to find out it was something simple. And
Next time properly store the poor thing and resist the urge to go and start it periodically cause your lonely.

Quick Reply: '08 FLHTCU won't start after battery change