Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short antenna's

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 05:53 PM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I've been using the HD shorties for a couple of years .
No issues at all .

The following users liked this post:
fabricater (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 08:02 PM
muddmann
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by leadman
I've been using the HD shorties for a couple of years .
No issues at all .

Me too.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:11 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,561 Likes on 730 Posts

If you ride in the primary 'footprint' of the stations you like to listen to then a shorty antenna will be fine for the most part. Once you get away from that area a compromise antenna such as a shorty will quickly show its deficiencies. A lot depends on terrain geographics, transmitter antenna height and location, as well as transmitter power and radiation pattern as well as channel density in a given locale. Some areas might have great coverage for hundreds of square miles while others will be spotty over a 10 mile swath. Vehicle radio antennas are designed to be resonant in the middle of the FM band and are not resonant at all in the low frequency AM band. As a matter of fact they appear to be toothpick in size in the AM range. Using a stubby or shortened antenna only further reduces the capture area of these antennas rendering them less 'sensitive' as you move further away from from the radio station's transmitter site.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:30 PM
Rude dog
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
I have an antenna similar to this and its totally worthless if you listen to the radio which i rarely do. I used it for a couple days and put the whip back on. It works perfectly.
x2, pretty worthless...

Question, any one alter the mounting bracket so as.. the stock whip antenna angles or leans back... so, it will stay away from hitting say a tour pack?

Old 11-28-2017, 09:21 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by penmaker
Have you used it with the CB? I don't use mine a lot but I like having it on trips when I'm on the interstate or federal highways. It comes in handy to keep up with traffic problems.
I've never used the CB. She uses her phone for the few times we need real time traffic conditions.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:30 AM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,650 Posts

I use a antenna from Walmart when I put my removable tourpak on my 16RGS.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-R...tenna/16652627

Old 11-28-2017, 10:34 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

i've went back and forth from the whip to the harley stubby and really can't tell any difference. even on a long ride out of town i seem to lose the stations at about the same spot.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:59 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

I do not use the CB, or listen to commercial radio, so I took both antennas off. However, thinking about putting the HD short ones on, just in case a ever where my headset again.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:08 AM
tommytailspin
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
If you ride in the primary 'footprint' of the stations you like to listen to then a shorty antenna will be fine for the most part. Once you get away from that area a compromise antenna such as a shorty will quickly show its deficiencies. A lot depends on terrain geographics, transmitter antenna height and location, as well as transmitter power and radiation pattern as well as channel density in a given locale. Some areas might have great coverage for hundreds of square miles while others will be spotty over a 10 mile swath. Vehicle radio antennas are designed to be resonant in the middle of the FM band and are not resonant at all in the low frequency AM band. As a matter of fact they appear to be toothpick in size in the AM range. Using a stubby or shortened antenna only further reduces the capture area of these antennas rendering them less 'sensitive' as you move further away from from the radio station's transmitter site.
it's sounds like you know your radio stuff. i don't at all. i was wondering if one could cut some off the whip? if so do you know how much?

Old 12-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Cutting a mast will hinder the "match" ... See SWR meter ??

Quick Reply: Short antenna's