Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts from the IMS show in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 07:46 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,255 Posts
Default Thoughts from the IMS show in NYC

Greetings,

Was at the IMS show in NYC yesterday. I'm currently on a Switchback. I like the bike, but am realizing I'm wanting something else. Saw the new Sport Glide. When this bike was 1st announced, I was envisioning something like a modernized FXRT. The bike they created is not that bike. None of the new Softails have that "it" enough to sway me. The one bike I keep on coming back to....the standard Road King. Everytime I get on that bike in showroom, or in this case, at the IMS show, it feels like a Cadillac to me. From the rider's perspective, it is the view I see when I envision the fabled cross country trip. Sat on a Road Glide Ultra as well. Nice bike, but mammoth. How do you guys with the Ultras ride those things? They seem like a lot of work. The Road/Street Glides are nice, but miss something for my preferences. Even with stories of sumping and what not, even with the Softail having arguably better handling / suspension.....it is the Road King that gives me a twitch in the undies.

HD does a pretty nice job at the show. Overall, was surprised to not see Ducati, Triumph and the Piaggio group (Moto Guzzi, Aprila , Vespa). Looked at the Indians. They have nice elements about them, but as a whole, they seem...too much. Do like the Scout though. The show seemed smaller to me this year than shows in the past. Lots of buzz about the new Gold Wing (did sit on the bagger variant...surprised how small the bags are...otherwise nice bike), some BMW's (R1200RT/GS/RS), but the one bike that really caught my attention was the Kawasaki Z900RS. Beautiful retro bike with modern capability. But it is the Road King I'll be saving for.

Last edited by rauchman; 12-04-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:36 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

I can't say I blame you the roadking is a Cadillac on 2 wheels

Old 12-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Slandrew
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The road King very nice the big dressers have good and not so good features?On the long runs the good feature!But around town stop and go a little more work!LOL!Did you take any photos of show?If so post them missed it this year!Scout cool little water cooled bike wife gave me go ahead on one last at show last year? but I passed aka chickened out Good luck!Happy holidays!

Last edited by Slandrew; 12-04-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:38 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm thinkin' this will be the last year I attended. Complete disappointment, lack of vendors for parts and accessories makes this show just a large showroom for manufacturers. This shortcoming may not bother most, but for me the show should include a large number of various aftermarket companies...example, last year S&S Cycle had a display, this year none.

The following users liked this post:
Slandrew (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 11:28 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Note my 2 current bikes. Every time I see someone saying the Road King is hard to handle around town I scratch my head. Then again I don't have any issues with the Road Glide around town or anywhere else for that matter, hence this is my 3rd shark nose. If you like the bikes get ya one. Go to the dealership and ride them. The place I bought my newest bike from has no reservations about letting a person taking any bike out and riding as long as necessary. Not all dealerships are like that and I understand but find a place that does and make your selection. These are motorcycles designed to be ridden by average Joe. Nothing intimidating about them.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:34 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,086 Likes on 3,325 Posts

I stopped going to that show when the stunting urban warrior crowd took it over a few years back. Prior to that it used to be good. Plenty of vendors, show specials on helmets and gear, room enough to not resemble a mosh pit when your walking around. I don't miss it.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

The new softails are unimpressive looking, to me. The rear swingarm is a big failure in the visual department and looks more like a Dyna with hidden shocks. The whole bike looks too plasticky and high tech. I'm sure many love them, but the pre-18 models are far better looking in my opinion.

Once you ride a Harley with full fairing and radio, you won't go back to a detachable windshield.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

what was the question again? you'll see it said over and over the road king is the most versatile bike Harley makes. I have used mine in city traffic, country roads, commuting and cross country trips. It works in all situations. Everyone loves the chrome headlight nacelle, too.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:08 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
Sat on a Road Glide Ultra as well. .... How do you guys with the Ultras ride those things?
........ with enormous smiles

Old 12-04-2017, 03:15 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Don't be fooled! Admittedly many years ago now, but I bought my Electra Glide Sport on the same basis. It's the predecessor of the RK and now has a batwing and tourpak. Life is even better now, especially as I courted the lady who is now Mrs B on it.....

Quick Reply: Thoughts from the IMS show in NYC