Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got to Try Out my New Stuff Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 10:02 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Got to Try Out my New Stuff Today

Got to go for a ride today. Tried out my new helmet and pants. Picked up a used arai RX-q in mint condition for $65 on OfferUp. Seven years old but I’m gonna roll it for a little bit. Great visibility and no buffeting! Coming from a half helmet I wanted to see how well I liked wearing a full face before taking the plunge on a $500 helmet. Then last week I’m standing in my garage and my neighbor walks up and gives me a pair of Fox all weather riding pants. Just gave them to me. Perfect fit, light, weatherproof, Black, and I can roll them up real nice. Waterproof zippers. They are a lot like my snowboard pants which is the rain gear I used to wear except these have leather on the inside of each leg so they don’t melt. Huge day!!

Last edited by SnoRider; 12-10-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:56 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Great score, I wear a FF Arai too.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:29 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

I'm going to assume, since you noted it's age and said you will use it anyway, that the helmet is technically past it's safe lifetime...

Not sure how much I agree with the helmet, or carseat, 5 year guidelines but I'm not putting my granddaughter or my head into one that's over 5 years old. Both mean quite a lot more to me than a few hundred dollars. You know, in case those guidelines are right...

Old 12-11-2017, 10:14 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

i just hope that the 7 years is life on the shelf and not on someone's head. all that funk.... ewww....

Old 12-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm going to argue that a 7,8 or 10 year old mint Arai FF is probably going to be safer than some $100 Chinese junk and 10x safer than his half helmet. Considering the OP just wants to try it out to see if he likes a full face, even if the worst were to happen he would be better off with the Arai vs. his normal skid lid.

The following 2 users liked this post by Almostinvincible119:
720Deere (12-12-2017), Campy Roadie (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 02:22 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Almostinvincible119
I'm going to argue that a 7,8 or 10 year old mint Arai FF is probably going to be safer than some $100 Chinese junk and 10x safer than his half helmet. Considering the OP just wants to try it out to see if he likes a full face, even if the worst were to happen he would be better off with the Arai vs. his normal skid lid.
This is exactly my logic. I was hesitant on buying anything used especially that old but for $65 it’s something I could try for a few months before finding the perfect fit new one. Way way safer than my $80 Voss half helmet.

Last edited by SnoRider; 12-11-2017 at 02:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 02:52 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

I understood, or figured I did, your "logic" from the first post.
I just don't necessarily agree.
Fit is no excuse. I can go to my local power sports dealer and try on helmets from about 200 different choices at zero cost.
Sure what you bought is probably safer than a cheapo brain pan but with my head a few dollars more for new is worth it.
But your head, your choice and I'll hope neither of us has our choices put to the test.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:58 PM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

That isn't the point Tech. Yeah, we can all try helmets on. But the OP wanted to actually ride and see if the FF was his cup of tea. Find a dealership that will allow me to ride around with their helmet for a while and then return it or purchase it at a later date. He got a good helmet with minimal investment and will decide if he wants to make a larger investment soon after. His $65 spent is a hell of a lot less than if he bought that $500 Arai and decided he didn't like it and had to come on here and take a $150-$200 loss.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:48 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Almostinvincible119
That isn't the point Tech. Yeah, we can all try helmets on. But the OP wanted to actually ride and see if the FF was his cup of tea. Find a dealership that will allow me to ride around with their helmet for a while and then return it or purchase it at a later date. He got a good helmet with minimal investment and will decide if he wants to make a larger investment soon after. His $65 spent is a hell of a lot less than if he bought that $500 Arai and decided he didn't like it and had to come on here and take a $150-$200 loss.

Oh, I understand the point.
He got what WAS a good helmet but that has exceeded safety guidlines. It may even be better than what he had as it sits.
But bottom line, he's still gambling against those safety guidelines with his life. All to save a few dollars.

We all choose the level of protective gear we wear from no helmet, no shirts and shorts to All The Gear All The Time. If the OP chooses to wear an old helmet its his right to make that choice. And I wish him well.
But, since buying an out of date helmet was touted as a great find I just felt the other perspective should be presented as well.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:37 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior

ORad you are adding absolutely no value to this conversation....which is basically you just killing the buzz. Obviously I know it’s seven years old and obviously you do to, cause you pointed it out about ten times. Obviously I feel the helmet is in the condition to where it will be protective otherwise I wouldn’t be wearing it. You don’t have to agree with my logic...but why are you even spending you time with this? My post had nothing to do getting you opinion. It was simply just to share an “up” day that I had.

The following 4 users liked this post by SnoRider:
720Deere (12-12-2017), Almostinvincible119 (12-12-2017), Campy Roadie (12-12-2017), svarnster (12-12-2017)

Quick Reply: Got to Try Out my New Stuff Today