Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Road King carbureted Model lost spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 02:24 PM
bossten1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Road King carbureted Model lost spark

like the title says 98 Road King carbureted Model lost spark.
a month or so ago I changed my wide beach bars to apes. to my surprise the wiring and cables had already been previously swapped out for longer. it was pretty simple , i took all plugs apart and put back together bike started right and its all been fine.
fast forward wasn't happy with my frenched trim ring gap. so I decided Monday swapped about the distorted well nuts for new ones. so while I had the headlight apart from the nacelle I repacked the wiring in attached the headlight and no start. thinking I must have disconnected a wire I tore into again well needless to say the last three nights after work each night this week spending hours checking plugs ,relays, wires connectors, grounds, and hours at work of internet research I cannot find the problem. . ive read about bank angle sensors(which not sure my year even has) crank sensors ect but im assuming its something more I did. not some sensor that magically went bad sitting in my garage. the bike has battery power. it turns over (cranks) has voltage. switches and wires and plugs have been checked for damage. Im at a loss and pulling my hair out. bike will only turn over if both on off switch is on and ignition is on. is there anything behind the headlight I could have messed up or Im missing?

Last edited by bossten1; 01-11-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:37 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

You've verified no spark by pulling the spark plugs and checking while cranking for spark? Fuses checked?

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 01-11-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:49 PM
bossten1
2nd Gear

yes fuses and grounded plug to the engine. no spark. definitely checked all the basics.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Cool. I had my bank sensor fail on my Sporty twice, once just randomly overnight. Went to start it the next time and it just spun and spun. The other was on the highway. So they can fail randomly overnight (so seemingly for no reason).

Yours is part of the cam position sensor in the nosecone. No crank position sensor for carb'd Evo. You'll have to check out that and the ignition module, as the problem is likely one of those two pieces.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:33 PM
bossten1
2nd Gear

My bank sensor is in there? So I do have one?

Old 01-11-2018, 04:06 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Your problem lies in what you last did to the bike. There is a pinched, open or shorted wire there somewhere.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:41 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 795 Likes on 606 Posts

A bit difficult to follow without capitals and also way information is presented.
But lets give it a try.
Guess you are frustrated and using a smart phone instead of a real computer.
You state "bike will only turn over if both on off switch is on and ignition is on"
Is that for information because that is how the bike is suppose to start.
It is not suppose to turn over if switches are are OFF.
By any chance are you using a button on the starter itself instead of the start button on the handlebar?
Remember, we can not see.
If wiring is just stock wiring but extended then the problem might be the white/black wire, The grey wire or the Black/RED wire...thinking the GREY wire is the problem.
When wires are extended with solder and then pushed/pulled/yanked and stuffed they sometimes can become disconnected or ground out..

The following users liked this post:
bossten1 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 05:01 PM
bossten1
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by im
A bit difficult to follow without capitals and also way information is presented.
But lets give it a try.
Guess you are frustrated and using a smart phone instead of a real computer.
You state "bike will only turn over if both on off switch is on and ignition is on"
Is that for information because that is how the bike is suppose to start.
It is not suppose to turn over if switches are are OFF.
By any chance are you using a button on the starter itself instead of the start button on the handlebar?
Remember, we can not see.
If wiring is just stock wiring but extended then the problem might be the white/black wire, The grey wire or the Black/RED wire...thinking the GREY wire is the problem.
When wires are extended with solder and then pushed/pulled/yanked and stuffed they sometimes can become disconnected or ground out..
No Im using a computer at work now. was also using a cell phone at lunch.
"Is that for information because that is how the bike is suppose to start."
someone had asked me if the switch was on. seems to be commonly asked , are the switches on? , fuel in the tank? ect. yes and yes.
I believe that is the only way it is supposed turn over is with the off and on switch in the on position. although I asked a similar question on the Road King Baggers forum I belong too and several people told me there bike turns over even if the switch is in the off position. mine does not.
Ill definitely ohm the grey wire (if i can get access off the switch). I was also thinking grey wire myself because I believe that is the start stop wire at right hand switch. or one of. diving back in tonight after work just want to be better armed. sorry didn't realize I made it very difficult to follow. well thanks Ill check the gray or grey wire.

Last edited by bossten1; 01-11-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:55 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 795 Likes on 606 Posts

All good.
So standard factory system, just some cut and extended wires.
I read it a few more times, make sure to recheck wires and plugs.
Wire could have broken inside of insulation near solder point or at plug terminal.
Best of luck.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:14 PM
bossten1
2nd Gear
Default Update. Fixed

Fixed and running now. White wire was broken under shrink tube near rh side plug at solder splice. Too brittle and had snapped when bent while I was trying to put plug back to factory clip insode the headlight nacelle. I finally just repaird every wire with new solder ,shrink tube and tape and thats how i found it. Thanks everyone who chimed in.

Quick Reply: 98 Road King carbureted Model lost spark