Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king vs street glide vs softail or ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 07:32 AM
cory464
Cruiser
Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts
Default road king vs street glide vs softail or ?

i am curious why people make the choice to buy a road-king vs a street glide or something else. i see a lot of folks on road kings and have to admit i see a few i really like. i am considering jumping up from a soft ail to a street glide, my main interest is in getting the wind protection, radio, and comfort as well as other creature comforts of the glide. i mean no disrespect to anyone's decisions, i'm just curious as to what aspects/features were the big selling points for you. thanks guys

Old 01-15-2018, 07:40 AM
FatboysFatboy96
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,874 Likes on 7,720 Posts

I have a softtail and an Electraglide. The Electraglide is definitely a more comfortable and better handling bike. I love the cruise control and radio. The storage is a plus as well. I definitely ride the tourer more then the softtail.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:47 AM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 587 Posts

I think you answered your question, windprotection, stereo, cruising comfort are big parts.
Passenger comfort, storage space, ability to add and change parts and accessories are important to me.
I like having its size and power for long hauls, not to mention the fairing and stereo.
Some find it heavy and cumbersome in stop and go city traffic, but you get used to it quick.
At the end of the day it’s personal preference. Many styles to go around and its not what you ride but that you ride.
And ride safe.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:48 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,308 Likes on 1,907 Posts

We went from a Sporty to a Fatboy to a Road King to a Electra Glide to a Ultra and now on our third Limited. When we started riding again we found we liked to go on long trips and Limiteds provide the comfort to do it. Faring, heated grips, cruise, radio and ABS make it enjoyable. We took a 75 mile ride at 40 degrees Saturday and both enjoyed it.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:49 AM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 587 Posts

Oh and welcome to the Hdforums.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:07 AM
cory464
Cruiser

thanks for the welcome. i was mostly curious why folks choose the roadking over the glides

Old 01-15-2018, 08:12 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by cory464
i am curious why people make the choice to buy a road-king vs a street glide or something else.
Because they want the comfort of a touring bike but without a fairing, stereo, gps, etc. Not to mention the RK is a very nice classic bike.

The following 3 users liked this post by Rick58:
leotisbrown (09-13-2020), perki48 (03-02-2018), todd-67 (03-02-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 08:16 AM
cory464
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Vernal
We went from a Sporty to a Fatboy to a Road King to a Electra Glide to a Ultra and now on our third Limited. When we started riding again we found we liked to go on long trips and Limiteds provide the comfort to do it. Faring, heated grips, cruise, radio and ABS make it enjoyable. We took a 75 mile ride at 40 degrees Saturday and both enjoyed it.
thats where i'm at. took a break from bikes to finish college and raise a family. now that i'm back into it i realize I'm not in the shape i was 20 years ago. i've discovered i really like riding, and am wanting to go on longer rides. i bought my softail because i love the looks and simplicity. i've added a softer seat, and a windshield and am looking at a radio and cruise control. (all things i used to make fun of people for having). i didn't really expect to enjoy the ride as much as i do.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:18 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick58
Because they want the comfort of a touring bike but without a fairing, stereo, gps, etc. Not to mention the RK is a very nice classic bike.
What he said.....I personally didn't care much about the radio, fairing, etc...but I wanted wind protection. Plus can't ignore the beautiful look of the RK.

My 2 cents....GL whichever way you go.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:18 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm like you. Looking at baggers as GF and I have our Softails.

One plus on the RK is you can add a detachable fairing, lowers, and a Tourpak for some serious touring, and remove those for cruising. Some will say they have a detachable fairing on their RK and never take it off, but that's a personal think.

Quick Reply: road king vs street glide vs softail or ?