Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat discussion - changing seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 02:20 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,074 Likes on 621 Posts
Default Seat discussion - changing seats

This is not a "send it to someone" type of thread.

Wife doesn't like riding much anymore. Many of you have seen my thread before about the build.

Trunk - gone
Now the stock seat looks like I am hauling around a full mattress on the bike. It looks HUGE!

I am keeping that stock seat though to swap out when she wants to ride along for short cruises. I actually like it. I want to find something that looks better and is comfy and still allows for or has a driver backrest.

I have considered like a street glide seat, as it is smaller and narrower in the rear. I have looked and Corbin and Saddleman both have solos that look ok with a driver backrest.

For those of you that have changed it up, what did you go with? Why did you choose that one? I have a few months of winter here to decide.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:24 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member

I should mention that I am ok with the one piece seat that has the smaller pillion section. Mustang makes a good looking one called the gunfighter but they don't list it for my bike and it doesn't have a backrest.

I am also ok with solo seats with the exposed fender as long as it doesn't look too terrible with the backrest.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:33 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd look at the Mustang Solo Day tripper w/ backrest if most of your rides are just close by. For longer days in the saddle or touring, look at their seat Part # 79600. Its their biggest (read: widest) solo seat. and they say the most comfortable for longer days.

I also purchased a used SG seat from the classifieds here or on other places similar. Gave like $125 shipped for it. Its pretty comfortable for day rides for the rider, just not the passenger. It has the slit in it to use your backrest you have now.

I highly suggest you find a way to try any one that you are going to buy if buying new and spending $400+ on a seat. Else you may be selling it on the classifieds for a loss and having to try something else.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:18 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

C & C will fit your needs.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Check out the new CVO SG seats...solo and pillion...sweet...boardtracker or other online seller...

Old 02-07-2018, 01:25 AM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 236 Likes on 155 Posts

I bought a take off 2017 Streetglide seat and I think it’s very comfortable for me. And you still have the stock seat for her

Old 02-07-2018, 04:05 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I keep my bikes solo unless OL is riding along. I think they look better, at least to me. Not going to suggest brands but one I would avoid has already been mentioned. Solo, especially with backrest is how I like my bikes set up. Doesn't take any time at all to change a seat, about as long as it took me to type this, but I type slow.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:29 AM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverEagle50
I'd look at the Mustang Solo Day tripper w/ backrest if most of your rides are just close by. For longer days in the saddle or touring, look at their seat Part # 79600. Its their biggest (read: widest) solo seat. and they say the most comfortable for longer days.

I also purchased a used SG seat from the classifieds here or on other places similar. Gave like $125 shipped for it. Its pretty comfortable for day rides for the rider, just not the passenger. It has the slit in it to use your backrest you have now.

I highly suggest you find a way to try any one that you are going to buy if buying new and spending $400+ on a seat. Else you may be selling it on the classifieds for a loss and having to try something else.
I'm kind of a kook when it comes to seats, I just purchased a Mustang solo seat, next Saturday I'm taking it to Astech seats in Indiana, to get a makeover, even before I put it on my bike.
I'm having them reform the seat to have a deeper back then having gel placed throughout the base of the seat.
I have a Streetgilde and they did a retro on my seat, wow I find it very comfortable riding all day long.
So here is a question, we spend thousands of dollars on a nice bike then have a seat that doesn't fit. This only makes sense to me to adjust the seat. Some of us are lucky to have a seat that fits and doesn't need any adjustments, then there is guys like me, who is older, has issues with hips and lower back that needs a little help in the seat department,

Old 02-07-2018, 08:11 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SilverEagle50

Yep, that is why I am thinking of doing a street glide seat. Pick up a cheap used one and if I don't like the feel I could always sell it and go to the higher end or have that one reworked. The stock seat will stay stock and be used for the short rides with the wife.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:46 AM
Stiches11
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a Lucky Dave's seat and LOVE it firm but not too firm and the the back comes up pretty good so you don't need a backrest. The passenger seat is small but looks great.

Quick Reply: Seat discussion - changing seats