Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 02:46 AM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,086 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Originally Posted by jai yen yen
I have not rode the new M8 but I kind of think putting the cash into my old bike would get me better results. What do you think?
Dude, how can you even make an educated decision on this without even having test ridden an M8? It's free, (if you don't buy it, lol), and then no matter which way you decide to go, you'll feel good about your choice........

Old 02-19-2018, 04:23 AM
Wodan
Banned
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Did I miss where you said what cams etc you are presently set up with?

103 to 107 is only 4" more, so at the most basical level, without other the upgrades, work off a 1" to 1 hp ration. The voodoo must be in the other engine improvements, eg the higher compression pistons and the cams in the kit. If it's about economizing, you could just do cams and compression and would not give away much.

What is the Fuelmoto kit, $1200 plus tax and labor? Looking at the Woods dynos, there's really not an awful lot over just the cams for, what, $400.

I'd leave the cylinders and pistons until you need to bore them.

Ditto, you could pick up big improvement without going all the way with custom Ohlins.

Another question to factor into the equation is, which route do you have to take on how much interest on loans? If that's a factor, then I'd choose the zero credit, zero interest route and feel good not paying the banksters. There's your big loss in either case.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

If you spend anything at all, do your suspension first, you will be surprised how much quicker your bike is when the ride quality is improved and handling ditto.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,733 Likes on 1,552 Posts

You've mentioned two reasons why you'd want to trade: improved suspension and more power.

I love my M8, but I didn't trade for either of those reasons.
The M8 is just slightly better power wise and the suspension was only minimally improved. It's still not super great (suspension), just a little better.

Now if you had stated that you wanted a very smooth near vibration free engine with linear near-electric motor throttle response, combined with the best primary/compensator setup ever to be released since 2007 with no neutral rattle, idle racket, or top-end noise.... yeah I'd recommend the M8.

Other than that, it seems you should improve what you already have because "more power" and "better suspension" are common complaints across both platforms.
Only one platform was slightly improved, but you'll probably want more.

That said, looking forward, the M8 stands to make the most power with upgrades. It would be the platform I'd build on given the option.

Last edited by lp; 02-19-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:47 AM
jai yen yen
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Dude, how can you even make an educated decision on this without even having test ridden an M8? It's free, (if you don't buy it, lol), and then no matter which way you decide to go, you'll feel good about your choice........
I get what you are saying but I also don't know what my bike would be like with the engine and suspension upgrades until I do it, that is why i am asking others who may have been in the same situation for am experienced opinion.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:55 AM
jai yen yen
Tourer

Originally Posted by lp
You've mentioned two reasons why you'd want to trade: improved suspension and more power.

I love my M8, but I didn't trade for either of those reasons.
The M8 is just slightly better power wise and the suspension was only minimally improved. It's still not super great (suspension), just a little better.

Now if you had stated that you wanted a very smooth near vibration free engine with linear near-electric motor throttle response, combined with the best primary/compensator setup ever to be released since 2007 with no neutral rattle, idle racket, or top-end noise.... yeah I'd recommend the M8.

Other than that, it seems you should improve what you already have because "more power" and "better suspension" are common complaints across both platforms.
Only one platform was slightly improved, but you'll probably want more.

That said, looking forward, the M8 stands to make the most power with upgrades. It would be the platform I'd build on given the option.
Good answer, I am very happy with my bike other than the lack of power and suspension. I like a little vibration and snarl, i guess i am too old school to crave that smoothness the new bikes have. I know they are better but they are different as well. i am thinking putting a little more cash into mine will do the job and thank you for your answer.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:05 AM
jai yen yen
Tourer

Originally Posted by Wodan
Did I miss where you said what cams etc you are presently set up with?

103 to 107 is only 4" more, so at the most basical level, without other the upgrades, work off a 1" to 1 hp ration. The voodoo must be in the other engine improvements, eg the higher compression pistons and the cams in the kit. If it's about economizing, you could just do cams and compression and would not give away much.

What is the Fuelmoto kit, $1200 plus tax and labor? Looking at the Woods dynos, there's really not an awful lot over just the cams for, what, $400.

I'd leave the cylinders and pistons until you need to bore them.

Ditto, you could pick up big improvement without going all the way with custom Ohlins.

Another question to factor into the equation is, which route do you have to take on how much interest on loans? If that's a factor, then I'd choose the zero credit, zero interest route and feel good not paying the banksters. There's your big loss in either case.
My bike has low miles and is in great shape totally stock. Maybe just a good cam and tune would do it. I am running power duals and monster ovals for exhaust. Money is always better in your pocket.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:29 AM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,086 Likes on 1,265 Posts

I get what you are saying but I also don't know what my bike would be like with the engine and suspension upgrades until I do it, that is why i am asking others who may have been in the same situation for am experienced opinion.
Yeah, it sounds like you should NOT take one for a test drive. You seem pretty happy with what you have and just want a little more. I USED to be happy with my 95" '03 RKC till I test drove a '17 RK....... now it's got a Stage IV and sleeps next to the '03 in the shop at night. If you bump up your existing bike, (without testing an M8), you'll probably fall in love with it all over again! Like when a guy takes his wife to the Boob Store, lol!

Old 02-19-2018, 11:35 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,323 Likes on 1,911 Posts

My bike has low miles and is in great shape totally stock. Maybe just a good cam and tune would do it. I am running power duals and monster ovals for exhaust. Money is always better in your pocket.
Do you have a tuner? Making the same changes on our bikes we added the DynoJet Power Vision tuners and are very happy with the power.

The following users liked this post:
jai yen yen (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 12:27 PM
seanl
Road Master
Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

I have a 2011 RKC with low miles in perfect shape and built the way I like. I really like the bike and have put a lot of money into making it right for me. Here is my question. Should I spend another 4000 dollars for a Fuelmoto 107 kit for better power and replace the poor stock suspension with something better like Ohlins or go to a new M8. Of course the new bike will cost a lot more never mind building it to suit me. I have not rode the new M8 but I kind of think putting the cash into my old bike would get me better results. What do you think?
I'm more of the mind to hang on to a good bike and address any areas that I'm not happy with...

Before you go with a FM 107, have you done full exhaust, air filter, tune? Stock cams? Your 103 would respond well to the Fuel Moto formula, my little 96 sure did.

Bolting on (and properly adjusting) a set of rear Ohlins isn't a big deal, I spent an extra $125 and bought a decent cycle jack so I could do it at home. Fork cartridges are a bit more complicated and definitely more expensive, but I'd like to get them one day. Right now, the Ohlins Blacklines are great, night and day difference in ride quality vs. stock air shocks.

I've done a bunch of the above mods, but can't seem to tear into my well tuned and well running 96" although I'd love to have the FM 107 kit. But it's just not needed in order for me to enjoy the bike.

I don't see a need to buy a new bike though for your use case, the 1st and 2nd year depreciation alone would pay for some great mods on your '11 RKC.

Last edited by seanl; 02-19-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinions please.