Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability Concerns....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

There is not a whole lot out there that can be called "Unreliable". ON buying used, you need to find the one that was kept up with regular oil changes, and servicing. The last 2 bikes I got, I got the ESP. On the V-Rod it paid for itself. On my Road Glide, it's been reliable at 26,000 miles so far.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:31 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,702 Likes on 4,148 Posts

Originally Posted by Badbagger
time to think about another scooter. Biggest concern is reliability. Having read the M8 forum here and other sites, the M8’s seem to have their share of issues. Honestly it’s a concern and granted not every scooter with an M8 will have a problem but it’s a concern.

Prior to the new switch say up thru 2016 what are the most reliable years? There are a ton of late model bikes on the market and I want to keep an open mind before writing a big check.
I just made a similar decision... kind of...

I wanted to trade my '12 Limited for an M8 limited....

I followed the M8 rumors, through debut, through two model years now... I've been reading anything & everything... very impressed and wanted one badly...

However, while waiting to make the switch Spring '18, I grew concerned about the trans oil transfer and sumping issues... While they are certainly not affecting a large number of bikes (as far as we know), I find it very disconcerting that the MoCo either won't or can't reliably fix the problems when they arise... It would truly suck to be one of the customers affected... I don't want the M8 bad enough to gamble $25K that I won't be affected...

Just last month I traded my '12 and bought a '16 Ultra Classic from a dealer... I got an incredible deal on both ends (trade & purchase price).

I am familiar with the Twin Cams (I now own 3) and can do all my own work.

The 2016, being the last of the twin cams, will have all the upgrades available to that engine series (HO 103, better cam tensioners, better compensator, etc). I was also surprised at many of the bonuses/upgrades that the Rushmore bikes ('14-'16) have over their predecessors.

If I compare what I wanted to buy/do to an M8 v what I bought in a '16 Twin Cam I am way ahead on Money spent. After budgeting for mods I want to do: suspension, personal touches, seat, and bars, I now have $12K to make any engine mods I want, before reaching the amount of money I would have spent on the new M8...

I am totally pleased with my decision..

Old 03-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 311 Likes on 181 Posts

Thanks Kermie. Hat sounds like a smart money move. I guess an option is an extended warranty for insurance and piece of mind. Leaning heavily towards used bike. Hard to believe what can be had for cheap money. Savings are great.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:17 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 2,421 Posts
Wink

While it is true Harleys have had their problems, in many cases they will have been fixed, often during the bike's warranty period. If the bike you buy has a warranty that takes away much of any such anxiety. In addition, reading a website like HDF gives a concentrated image of the Harley World, which many owners do not visit, so the silent majority are out there not knowing they should be worried....

Don't let the internet rumour machine give you nightmares!

Last edited by grbrown; 03-05-2018 at 03:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by grbrown:
ratpick (03-06-2018), tbob (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 03:23 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,988 Posts

If I didn't love my 2016 so much, I wouldn't hesitate to jump up to an M8. That said, Kermie is right - there's not a whole lot out there that could honestly be called "unreliable" any more.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:40 PM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 959 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I just made a similar decision... kind of...

I wanted to trade my '12 Limited for an M8 limited....

I followed the M8 rumors, through debut, through two model years now... I've been reading anything & everything... very impressed and wanted one badly...

However, while waiting to make the switch Spring '18, I grew concerned about the trans oil transfer and sumping issues... While they are certainly not affecting a large number of bikes (as far as we know), I find it very disconcerting that the MoCo either won't or can't reliably fix the problems when they arise... It would truly suck to be one of the customers affected... I don't want the M8 bad enough to gamble $25K that I won't be affected...

Just last month I traded my '12 and bought a '16 Ultra Classic from a dealer... I got an incredible deal on both ends (trade & purchase price).

I am familiar with the Twin Cams (I now own 3) and can do all my own work.

The 2016, being the last of the twin cams, will have all the upgrades available to that engine series (HO 103, better cam tensioners, better compensator, etc). I was also surprised at many of the bonuses/upgrades that the Rushmore bikes ('14-'16) have over their predecessors.

If I compare what I wanted to buy/do to an M8 v what I bought in a '16 Twin Cam I am way ahead on Money spent. After budgeting for mods I want to do: suspension, personal touches, seat, and bars, I now have $12K to make any engine mods I want, before reaching the amount of money I would have spent on the new M8...

I am totally pleased with my decision..
Bought a 16 FLHTCU in 16 knowing something new was coming. Wanted the Rushmore improvements with ABS and the LAST year of air-cooled. Great bike so far, with 16k miles, and couldn’t be more pleased. No interest at all in M8s until they get sorted out

Old 03-05-2018, 03:52 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Remember the 14.16 models have a transfer issue as well. They have a fix for those years.
my 16 had a problem and they said they fixed it. All I can advise is pull your derby cover before the drain plug. As for reliable since 1973 I have been stranded once,and that was a double flat going to Sturgis. I bought a 2018 and love the 117 motor.Best stock running bike I have ever bought .For piece of mind I bought a seven year warranty with tire and wheel,the Sturgis mess cost me $950.00 and a nasty sunburn waiting for a tow.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:32 AM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

A question, and some comments...

1) What reliability improvements do rushmore bikes have vs those just prior that have updated tensioner shoes and compensator (2011-2013)? Would other improvements be noticeable if you weren't getting off one and on another, if then? Don't rushmores still benefit from the same suspension, engine, etc upgrades?

2) Warranties are great for relatively simple, straightforward issues where parts can be simply swapped out. In my experience when any sort of real trouble shooting/diagnosis is required a warranty tends to be a real pain in the butt since the manufacturer doesn't want to cover this sort of expense and the dealer doesn't want to get stuck with it, and in these all to common cases it can be much better to simply pay for the repairs and be back on the road rather than have paid extra for something under warranty and deal with finger pointing and excuses.

3) Extended warranties are essentially insurance policies and as such are priced/sold to make money averaged over many purchasers in the larger picture, so the odds are very much against getting one's money's worth--especially with a careful inspection of a vehicle that hasn't just been shined up to hide any faults.

4) I've found buying vehicles direct from private parties who usually will not lie to your face about existing issues is much safer than buying from third parties that can easily shrug and claim ignorance, and that an unvarnished look at a vehicle without the spit and polish detailing performed by dealer gives a much clearer picture on how it's been treated and maintained.

If cost is any consideration I would be looking for a 5-7 year old garage queen with $1-3K+ in upgrades already installed for around half what new or late model bikes sell for. These are fairly common on CL, and really good deals can be had if one can avoid buying in the spring. If cost isn't a factor, then why worry about any of it--as was mentioned earlier, most things are fairly reliable these days and forums are hardly representative of real world experiences. Just my $0.02

Old 03-06-2018, 09:52 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by ratpick
A question, and some comments...

1) What reliability improvements do rushmore bikes have vs those just prior that have updated tensioner shoes and compensator (2011-2013)? Would other improvements be noticeable if you weren't getting off one and on another, if then? Don't rushmores still benefit from the same suspension, engine, etc upgrades?

2) Warranties are great for relatively simple, straightforward issues where parts can be simply swapped out. In my experience when any sort of real trouble shooting/diagnosis is required a warranty tends to be a real pain in the butt since the manufacturer doesn't want to cover this sort of expense and the dealer doesn't want to get stuck with it, and in these all to common cases it can be much better to simply pay for the repairs and be back on the road rather than have paid extra for something under warranty and deal with finger pointing and excuses.

3) Extended warranties are essentially insurance policies and as such are priced/sold to make money averaged over many purchasers in the larger picture, so the odds are very much against getting one's money's worth--especially with a careful inspection of a vehicle that hasn't just been shined up to hide any faults.

4) I've found buying vehicles direct from private parties who usually will not lie to your face about existing issues is much safer than buying from third parties that can easily shrug and claim ignorance, and that an unvarnished look at a vehicle without the spit and polish detailing performed by dealer gives a much clearer picture on how it's been treated and maintained.

If cost is any consideration I would be looking for a 5-7 year old garage queen with $1-3K+ in upgrades already installed for around half what new or late model bikes sell for. These are fairly common on CL, and really good deals can be had if one can avoid buying in the spring. If cost isn't a factor, then why worry about any of it--as was mentioned earlier, most things are fairly reliable these days and forums are hardly representative of real world experiences. Just my $0.02
1) http://blog.jpcycles.com/2014-harley-improvements/

More improvements (though minor) over the next two years.

The following users liked this post:
ratpick (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 01:20 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Can't speak for the M 8's, but my 14 limited has been great, but only 41,000 on it, with nothing but recalls, and normal service's, There is a thread of a 14 limited, with the odometer at 100,000, pretty cool. No major problems according to the poster, So, i wouldn't worry to much about reliability, on the TC's, and i don't know anything about the M8's, yet

Quick Reply: Reliability Concerns....