Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability Concerns....

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 08:53 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 311 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Reliability Concerns....

I’ve been away from riding for a good bit, life happens but always been with me and time to think about another scooter. Biggest concern is reliability. Having read the M8 forum here and other sites, the M8’s seem to have their share of issues. Honestly it’s a concern and granted not every scooter with an M8 will have a problem but it’s a concern.

Prior to the new switch say up thru 2016 what are the most reliable years? There are a ton of late model bikes on the market and I want to keep an open mind before writing a big check. Hopefully by 2019 the M8’s will be dialed in but with the deals on the used market I can’t see buying new.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:48 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,518 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by Badbagger
I’ve been away from riding for a good bit, life happens but always been with me and time to think about another scooter. Biggest concern is reliability. Having read the M8 forum here and other sites, the M8’s seem to have their share of issues. Honestly it’s a concern and granted not every scooter with an M8 will have a problem but it’s a concern.

Prior to the new switch say up thru 2016 what are the most reliable years? There are a ton of late model bikes on the market and I want to keep an open mind before writing a big check. Hopefully by 2019 the M8’s will be dialed in but with the deals on the used market I can’t see buying new.
Every year has it's issues. And there is somebody who loves ever year. Find a bike that you like in good condition, that has a known maintenance history, and buy it. I bought an '03 in 2011, with 2,090 miles. I have 42k miles with no major problems. I plan to hold onto this bike until I die. If I start having reliability issues, I would buy newer, but I don't like the Rushmores. Other people love them. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:56 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,744 Likes on 2,699 Posts

Buy the newest you can afford, if it has a warranty, all the better. I love my 2015 Street Glide, but I wouldn’t hesitate to swap for a M8 if money wasn’t an issue.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:10 PM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't know, I'd much rather have a good bike than a good warranty. That said, there were some pretty significant long term reliability upgrades with 96/103 twin cam v2 in 2007 (cam drive system, lubrication, ??) and I believe more trickled in through 2010 (chain tension shoes, se compensator, others?). Not aware of much in the way of reliability oriented changes since then.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:23 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

No desire for a newer M8 tourer.

IMO building a GPS into the fairing wasn't a great decision. I know one can 'flash' update maps etc (I run a Garmin GPS and have for years), but even the best Garmin today looks (and runs) outdated 5+ years down the road at the rate technology moves.

I can easily buy a new Garmin GPS and mount on the bike to replace my 590, but if its built into the bike, its somewhat permanent. That sucks. Same goes for Indian.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:41 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
No desire for a newer M8 tourer.

IMO building a GPS into the fairing wasn't a great decision. I know one can 'flash' update maps etc (I run a Garmin GPS and have for years), but even the best Garmin today looks (and runs) outdated 5+ years down the road at the rate technology moves.

I can easily buy a new Garmin GPS and mount on the bike to replace my 590, but if its built into the bike, its somewhat permanent. That sucks. Same goes for Indian.
It doesn't seem to stop folks from buying cars with Nav. I like my built in nav in my car and on my bike; although I hate the map update charges. I guess that is why I haven't ever updated them, yet.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:03 AM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Every year has it's issues. And there is somebody who loves ever year. Find a bike that you like in good condition, that has a known maintenance history, and buy it. I bought an '03 in 2011, with 2,090 miles. I have 42k miles with no major problems. I plan to hold onto this bike until I die. If I start having reliability issues, I would buy newer, but I don't like the Rushmores. Other people love them. Good luck.
As you said, everyone is different with different likes and needs. That being said, there is no way in hell I would move my 2000 UC to the mainland for long distance touring after riding my 2016 Limited in that role. Have you ever actually ridden a Rushmore? The Rushmores have so many improvements over the older bikes in performance, range, handling, braking and comfort. I still liked riding my 2000 around the Island for 60,000 miles but there is no comparison to my Limited for long days in the saddle.

OP, I guess then that it is no surprise that I'd be looking for a low mileage Rushmore if I were in the market for a used bike.

Dave

Old 03-05-2018, 12:11 AM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

Sorry, are we still talking reliability?

Old 03-05-2018, 07:42 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Buy the newest you can afford, if it has a warranty, all the better. I love my 2015 Street Glide, but I wouldn’t hesitate to swap for a M8 if money wasn’t an issue.
I pretty much agree with this.
Of coarse you always prefer a perfectly reliable ride but having insurance is just peace of mind for the odd chance you get one with something wrong. After all, they are made by failable humans.

You really cannot go too much by fourm complaints either. Forums are pretty much created for people with problems to find help, or to simply bitch about a problem. Pick a vehicle, most any vehicle, and it's likely you can find someone complaining about something. Look at the number of vehicles sold and compare it to the complaints though and I think you'll find the problem ones are a pretty small percentage of the total.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:21 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 311 Likes on 181 Posts

Thanks fellas and lot to consider. Money is not really an object, paying cash for whatever I buy. Can always run the VIN for warranty service etc.

Quick Reply: Reliability Concerns....