Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 06:06 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

My 110 would be very uncomfortable heat wise until I went to Freedom Performance True Dual head pipes. Very dramatic lowering of heat on the right side of my bike. The ECM on the Rushmore bikes will self adjust for intake and exhaust changes. xieds can be added if you feel the bike is a little lean. Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:07 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

You will be happier with the sound with the cat out.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:17 PM
brokefootkenny
Road Captain
Received 165 Likes on 67 Posts

ok i have convinced myself to get this done. i will let you guys know how it works out for me! thanks for all the advice and encouragement!

Old 03-09-2018, 08:17 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

There ya go no guts no glory you'll be fine

Old 03-09-2018, 10:01 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,526 Likes on 1,421 Posts

You wont regret it, note the heat on your right leg now with the cat, then report back about the difference with the cat gone.
Highly recommend a quality dyno. That being said, you might want to take time to consider a performance upgrade and use the dyno to pull it all together for you, you know, consider all perimeters; more in, more out, and more juke while it's in there.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:57 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by big- mike
[left]The very basic things these bikes need is to breathe they have to choke them down and lean them out to meet EPA stardards. So that being said replacing mufflers and using a high flow air cleaner and removing the cat then add a simple canned map programmer will make the motor run much cooler and more responsive....
Actually the opposite is true. Introducing more air and keeping the fuel (as well as timing and a couple other tables) the same will result in higher temps and usually poor running condition.

FWIW, a "high flow" air cleaner will do nothing for most any stock bike. The factory A/C flows far more air then the motor demands even at WOT. Unless one makes significant changes to the intake, throttle body, heads, pistons, header, and exhaust, a "high flow" air cleaner will provide no results.

Sorry, I know that goes against most aftermarket claims but just read their fine print and look at the all the data runs out there. No major modifications equal no need for a "high flow" system.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:43 AM
big- mike
Road Warrior

I agree on a stock bike you're right but the op is removing the cat and changing his pipes so the addition of a high flow filter like a k&n will benefit his performance. And if he used a fp3 then he can dial in his afr's and it will also adjust timing so my opinion a high flow filter is beneficial

Old 03-10-2018, 08:32 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by big- mike
I agree on a stock bike you're right but the op is removing the cat and changing his pipes so the addition of a high flow filter like a k&n will benefit his performance. And if he used a fp3 then he can dial in his afr's and it will also adjust timing so my opinion a high flow filter is beneficial
Sorry my friend...removing the cat and changing pipes are still well within the capabilities of a stock HD air cleaner.

I'm fully aware that most aftermarket A/C manufactures state their system allows (or will accommodate) for "X" amount of CFM's (airflow).

Try this...there are about 1700 cubic inches in a cubic foot. If the engine is a stock 103 and it's running at about 3000 rpm, the air flow is about 180 CFM's. The stock HD air cleaner is rated at something like 500 CFM's. The max airfow for a stock 103 at 7500 rpm is about 420 (according to some of HD's air flow figures).

Installing a system that will accommodate air flow over the capabilities of the stock engine will not cause the engine to suddenly increase it's max CFM air flow. It's going to take major modifications to the internals of the stock engine (like I said before, intake, pistons, and the such) before a "high flow" system begins to be effective.

Now if someone wants to add one of these systems to their bike, then I would certainly not stand in their way. It's just that many such aftermarket systems boast of significant increases in power and performance over stock but fail to mention (except the very small print) that engine modifications are really needed to see those same gains.

Hope that helps.

The following users liked this post:
grbrown (03-11-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 08:52 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior

Nice write up pine tree if the cfm ratings that you quoted are accurate then you are correct I believe the op stated he wanted to keep his stock air cleaner assembly I was just suggesting using a k&n replacement filter that is less restrictive than the stock filter that would not hurt what he's trying to accomplish. Thanks for the cfm ratings I was not sure exactly what they were.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:39 PM
brokefootkenny
Road Captain
Received 165 Likes on 67 Posts

got the head pipe from a forum member who lived close by- thanks jbfb!😊
just now ordered the fuel pack 3 from mgs performance parts, on sale for $329. now all i need is more consistent weather and i will pull the bike out of storage and start work! wont be long now!

Quick Reply: confused