Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 06:52 AM
brokefootkenny
Road Captain
Received 165 Likes on 67 Posts
Default confused

ok so color me stupid but......i ride a ‘14 ultra classic and i am thinking of having american custom rebuild my stock mufflers with their baffles for better sound. bike is bone stock with the exception of a breather bypass. if i install the xied contraption do i need to do anything else? i want to “richen” up the too lean fuel/air mixture and cool the bike down without going through the expense and learning curve of “tuning”. this seems like a more wallet friendly way to do it. is my assumption correct that all you need to do is plug in these devices and ride without any need for tuning? i am told by american custom that no tuning is necessay with their rebuild of the mufflers. as i stated above the bike is full stock.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:14 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

If you are just changing the exhaust you should not have to do any other modification to the tuning. If you change the breather then you need tuning.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:16 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

The cat needs to go.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:23 AM
brokefootkenny
Road Captain

i understand the part about not needing to tune with just mufflers, the catalytic converter not going anywhere. i want to cool the bike down without major headaches,. not interested in adding a tuner or removing catalytic converter or changing air cleaner and on and on. just looking for a cost effective way to enrich the fuel/air mixture and cool the engine and exhaust down some!
thanks for the other options to spend my $$$ though!😊

Old 03-06-2018, 07:28 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

There are several active threads on this very subject...take a look around them so you can be 'even more confused',

Old 03-06-2018, 08:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by brokefootkenny
i am told by american custom that no tuning is necessay with their rebuild of the mufflers. as i stated above the bike is full stock.
Sounds OK to me! At this stage just take American Custom's advice and fit them to see how they work. If you find your bike doesn't run as you want it to, come back and we can talk through what to do next. I certainly wouldn't buy anything else just yet.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:10 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by brokefootkenny
...if i install the xied contraption do i need to do anything else? i want to “richen” up the too lean fuel/air mixture and cool the bike down without going through the expense and learning curve of “tuning”. this seems like a more wallet friendly way to do it...
As many, many owners have found, the xied things generally just add to the expense of the final answer. They simply add fuel across the board...some cells may already be too rich and would benefit from a reduction in fuel.

These and similar devices trick the system into thinking the system is running too lean and that's generally not the case. There are several tables within the tuning spectrum that can have a significant affect on perceived heat. Incorrect timing can result in much greater heat generation then an AFR setting. And the xied's do nothing to address that issue.

While I fully understand the desire to save money, getting the ECM set correctly from the start will save you money in the long run...and you might actually be happier with the way the bike starts, idles, and runs. Even a bone stock straight-from-the-factory bike will normally benefit from a proper tune.

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2018, 03:58 PM
brokefootkenny
Road Captain

thanks for your he advice!

Old 03-06-2018, 04:06 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 824 Posts

I've run XiEDS on my last two bikes. They install in about 5 minutes, give or take, and they've worked very well for me.If you can plug in a lamp, you can install these easily. Simple solution for cooling your bike down by adding a little fuel. You can find them on the internet for less than $100. For your situation, I think they would work fine. I feel like you, I spent a lot of $$$$ on previous bikes for tuners, dyno runs, etc., and I wasn't impressed with the results for the money. Of course, I didn't go past a simple Stage ! and on my last two bikes I only added slip ons and XiEDs, with the stock airbox. If that's all you're doing to your bike, I recommend them, though others may say different. As for me, I think they do a great job for what they are. My bike runs just as well as my older bikes with expensive tuners, etc. Of course, I'm older and just like to cruise at normal speeds.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:15 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I understand your thoughts but I would highly recommend getting rid of the cat. That can be done for next to nothing and a dynojet pcv will run you $299.00. Do those couple things and you will be a lot happier with your bike.

Quick Reply: confused