Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:41 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by brokefootkenny
got the head pipe from a forum member who lived close by- thanks jbfb!😊
just now ordered the fuel pack 3 from mgs performance parts, on sale for $329. now all i need is more consistent weather and i will pull the bike out of storage and start work! wont be long now!
Dont forget to make the O2 sensors so you can get them back in the right place.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:48 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

I'm very happy with 15 ultra with slip ons and xieds. 2nd bike with them. If u don't need a tuner don't buy one, I didn't.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:13 AM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Sorry my friend...removing the cat and changing pipes are still well within the capabilities of a stock HD air cleaner.

I'm fully aware that most aftermarket A/C manufactures state their system allows (or will accommodate) for "X" amount of CFM's (airflow).

Try this...there are about 1700 cubic inches in a cubic foot. If the engine is a stock 103 and it's running at about 3000 rpm, the air flow is about 180 CFM's. The stock HD air cleaner is rated at something like 500 CFM's. The max airfow for a stock 103 at 7500 rpm is about 420 (according to some of HD's air flow figures).

Installing a system that will accommodate air flow over the capabilities of the stock engine will not cause the engine to suddenly increase it's max CFM air flow. It's going to take major modifications to the internals of the stock engine (like I said before, intake, pistons, and the such) before a "high flow" system begins to be effective.

Now if someone wants to add one of these systems to their bike, then I would certainly not stand in their way. It's just that many such aftermarket systems boast of significant increases in power and performance over stock but fail to mention (except the very small print) that engine modifications are really needed to see those same gains.

Hope that helps.
Seems plausible and I see your point; however, if this were true, removing the cat and adding slipons and high flow intake would not require a tune on ecm (or xieds) for bike to run properly, which is most certainly not the case. I watched a friend do exactly these mods to a '15 CVO SG with really bad results until it was tuned.

One thing these calculations fail to take into account is the amount of vacuum necessary for given flow rating, and the fact that engines close to or at WOT generate very little vacuum, so multiplying displacement times RPM and comparing to CFM ratings is likely very misleading.

Most stock engines, whether on bikes, passenger vehicles, or whatever respond very well to modest improvements to intake flow, and you can see this in throttle response and fuel economy so long as ECM/carb is able to maintain proper air/fuel ratios (hence the tune/map req'd for some applications).

Last edited by ratpick; 03-18-2018 at 02:20 AM.