Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

twin power lithium ion battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default twin power lithium ion battery?

Thinking about getting one of these for some extra cranking amps and weight savings.

Anyone have any experience with this battery?

I would assume it needs a special charger?

Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Varooom

Old 03-11-2016, 05:32 PM
larry bart
Road Master
Received 289 Likes on 112 Posts

My only concern is when they have problems they become explosive. With that being said the battery is right under the family jewels.

The following users liked this post:
Kacowboy (03-13-2018)
Old 03-11-2016, 07:49 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

I did a little battery research back in the fall. I was leaning the lithium route, but changed my mind. There were some items i read about that turned me off as did the price. Needing a special charger was another turnoff.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:43 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

You don't want one. Besides, why do you need more cranking amps than the OEM battery specs?

Old 03-13-2016, 04:45 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking Calm down!

Upside is if you feel stressed just lick the battery and you'll calm down.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:14 AM
chrisg81983
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by larry bart
My only concern is when they have problems they become explosive. With that being said the battery is right under the family jewels.
I have been using extremely high current LION AND LIFE packs for about 15 years now for uses other than my motorcycles. They are much safer than portrayed to be as 99 percent of problems are from user error. There a ton of benefits in using lithium. I would love to convert all my bikes to them this summer.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:41 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisg81983
I have been using extremely high current LION AND LIFE packs for about 15 years now for uses other than my motorcycles. They are much safer than portrayed to be as 99 percent of problems are from user error. There a ton of benefits in using lithium. I would love to convert all my bikes to them this summer.
Having taken a cursory look at Lithiums, I just don't see 2-3 times the benefit needed to justify 2-3 times the price of an AGM. What am I missing ?

As to risks that may or may not be relevant or dependent on "operator" savvy, who needs them if you can simply and cheaply avoid them ? Who wants to re-purchase special charger/maintainers when they already have em ?

Just my $0.02 but at this stage, these pricey batteries seem like the answer to a question nobody asked.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:13 AM
chrisg81983
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Having taken a cursory look at Lithiums, I just don't see 2-3 times the benefit needed to justify 2-3 times the price of an AGM. What am I missing ?

As to risks that may or may not be relevant or dependent on "operator" savvy, who needs them if you can simply and cheaply avoid them ? Who wants to re-purchase special charger/maintainers when they already have em ?

Just my $0.02 but at this stage, these pricey batteries seem like the answer to a question nobody asked.
Everyone looks at it differently..... I totally see where you are coming from but there are multiple benefits you completely overlooked. First the weight difference is night and day 15 lbs to 5 lbs. approx.... Second is cold weather starting I myself ride all year round. If it doesn't start first time it will on the second or third time as the battery keeps getting stronger. [opposite of my oem battery].
Third is shelf life is Way greater , and fourth let's not forget about the cranking amps as it will just about turn over anything.

Now do we all need this no but do we need all the other crap we do to our bikes as well. Certain accessories fit some people better than other. When my battery is on its way out I will make the switch as I already have all the chargers and crap.

The following users liked this post:
iqbaliqbal (12-18-2019)
Old 03-13-2016, 07:22 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,526 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I am going to give it a little more time before I jump on those batteries.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

I have a Shorai lithium. Why? Because I also have an S&S 107" in my old Evo and have relocated my battery under the seat, so have a custom application. A smaller than stock battery with a higher than stock CCA kills two birds with one stone: it fits a smaller space and gives improved starting. So there are some circumstances where such a thing is a good idea!

As for charging, it plugs right into the stock bike wiring and is charged directly by the bike's charging system. I did however buy the Shorai mains charger, which functions as a dedicated battery minder/tender when required, which has not been often, to date.

Last edited by grbrown; 03-13-2016 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Grammar!

Quick Reply: twin power lithium ion battery?