Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

relief for sciatic nerve pain

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 08:16 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

This will probably be obvious to some but I never thought of it until I started having lower back pain after longer rides. I use to keep my wallet in my back pocket until the doctor showed me how it puts your low back at a slight angle, doesn't seem like a big deal until you see that the angle compresses one side of your disk and every bump compresses that side even more, result for me was low back pain, much better with the wallet in the saddle bag. May not be contributing to your issue but if you carry your wallet in your back pocket, it might. Hope you figure it out.

The following users liked this post:
Torky_SOB (03-15-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 08:32 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,347 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I quit wearing my wallet in my back pocket, it made a difference, I use a Mustang Super tour! I like it, that along with a circulator pad and a backrest.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:38 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,434 Likes on 21,388 Posts

Originally Posted by sfcmo357
I know some take the steroid shots. I refuse to take them.
The way that sciatica works is you have a disc that is "poofed out" a bit we'll say from being strained due to an accident, lifting more, or what ever the case may be.

This in turn creates pressure that wouldn't be otherwise on your sciatic nerve which by the way is the longest nerve in your body.
I'm sure that you all know this.

The way that the steroid shots are done is with a fluroscope. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.L-F_DKJ5KHc
The spine doctors can see exactly where your "poof" is in your disc.
Then they inject steroid all around the "poof" on your disc.
Steroids are a very strong inflammatory agent by themselves which eventually shrinks your inflamed "poof" thus shrinking it.

I had it done years ago and have had a couple minor set backs but over all it has been a lifesaver.

Had it not worked I would have gotten a micro-discetomy in which part of the "poof" is shaved off so as to no longer be in a position to apply pressure to your sciatic nerve any longer.

This procedure/protocol was recommended to me by the one of if not the prominent spine doctors in my area and had the fluroscopy not worked I would have went the surgical route.

I tried PT and chiropractors to no avail prior to the epidurals too FWIW.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:46 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 370 Posts

I have nothing to contribute other than I hate back pain . Multiple discs are f'd on me and it's just the worst . Hope you find a seat that helps

Old 03-14-2018, 08:47 PM
John5395
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Take the epidural steroid shots for your sciatica.
+1. I get an ESI every 3-4 months. I know it’s a temporary fix, but as long as they work, no back surgery for me....yet.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:06 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

Inversion table works for me. 20 min before work, 20 min after. After 30 days of this all I need now is occasional maintenance hang.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:54 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Would the likes of a tailbone cut out help?

http://www.rushracingproducts.com/cyclepedic.html

Old 03-15-2018, 06:26 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

This procedure/protocol was recommended to me by the one of if not the prominent spine doctors in my area and had the fluroscopy not worked I would have went the surgical route.

When they work, they WORK. Coworker had 2 in her neck and ended up medically retiring last year at 52 cuz the epidurals just couldn't provide her relief. My wife had injection in knee and it worked wonders. My doctor keeps telling me PT won't help my C spine and, at 46, I should have had 2 knee replacements (jumping out of planes). I've proved him wrong for 6 years. I think the key is that we all know our own bodies, have a great relationship with our primary care and that we are not be afraid to speak up for what we want.

The one thing I've learned is most Americans have horrible posture, many of us sit too many hours a day, we don't stretch, and we don't exercise. Those three things can improve all of our riding experiences.

be blessed guys

Old 03-15-2018, 06:29 AM
Torky_SOB
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,812 Likes on 3,037 Posts

The way that sciatica works is you have a disc that is "poofed out" a bit we'll say from being strained due to an accident, lifting more, or what ever the case may be.

This in turn creates pressure that wouldn't be otherwise on your sciatic nerve which by the way is the longest nerve in your body.
I'm sure that you all know this.

The way that the steroid shots are done is with a fluroscope. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.L-F_DKJ5KHc
The spine doctors can see exactly where your "poof" is in your disc.
Then they inject steroid all around the "poof" on your disc.
Steroids are a very strong inflammatory agent by themselves which eventually shrinks your inflamed "poof" thus shrinking it.

I had it done years ago and have had a couple minor set backs but over all it has been a lifesaver.

Had it not worked I would have gotten a micro-discetomy in which part of the "poof" is shaved off so as to no longer be in a position to apply pressure to your sciatic nerve any longer.

Hey Lions Good morning........I had a nerve ablation when working for FD .I was pain free for almost 6 yrs from the procedure.Not always good to do because yur now pain free and some do not head Dr's warnings to take it easy because you could make yur situation worse by over doing it.I had to lift patients all the time so I had to have it done.Its a lot like the epidurals but a bit more involved at smoking the nerve root, which extends the relief factor.Not all back problems are a candidate for this type of procedure, but if yours is, its one of the most effective in blocking the pain and no need for the opioids YMMV

Old 03-15-2018, 09:38 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Take the epidural steroid shots for your sciatica.
+100 on this...fixed me right up...

Quick Reply: relief for sciatic nerve pain