Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of 04-07 RK Customs with RK Seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 12:20 PM
scooper321
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Pictures of 04-07 RK Customs with RK Seats

Note: this is for RK Custom owners, not owners of custom Road Kings.

The RK Custom has a longer dash console and shorter seat nose than a standard Road King. So the seats aren't usually interchangeable. However, I've heard you can "massage" the longer nose of a RK seat up and over the RK Custom console, so you don't have to replace the console to mount a seat for a RK. Has anyone done this? Does it look OK or does it look stupid? Whose seat (make and model) did you do it with? Please share pics...

There are a lot more gently used RK/touring seats available than ones for RL Customs. Id like to be able to get one. And if I have to replace the dash console with a standard RK one, I will. Just wondering if I absolutely *have* to.

Thanks.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:25 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Here is my Custom with a RK Classic seat.
It seems OK. Previous owner sold the original. I would like to find another stock seat because I like the look better for this bike.

Bear

Attached Thumbnails Pictures of 04-07 RK Customs with RK Seats-yellowrkc4.jpg   Pictures of 04-07 RK Customs with RK Seats-yellowrkc3.jpg  
Old 03-16-2018, 08:05 PM
scooper321
Road Master

That doesn't look bad at all. And that's a pretty bulky seat, too. Nice to see a regular seat fits! I've got a Mustang wide touring for the FLHRS but it doesn't accept a rider back rest. I'd like to add a seat that supports a back rest and most of them are for standard touring bikes.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:16 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
Here is my Custom with a RK Classic seat.
It seems OK. Previous owner sold the original. I would like to find another stock seat because I like the look better for this bike.

Bear
Love the yellow paint, wish HD would offer it more often. Dont know why they dont, same old shades of regular paint every year. I did the best I could with the 14 RK to be different.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:55 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
Love the yellow paint, wish HD would offer it more often. Dont know why they dont, same old shades of regular paint every year. I did the best I could with the 14 RK to be different.
I saw one in 2007 and always liked it. In fact when Harley put out a Yellow SG a few years ago, I went to dealership to buy it. But I found that the yellow fairing on saddle bags was to much yellow. The black bags ion this bike make the yellow stick out without going over the top. I saw it in Craigslist in another state for decent price and bought it without questions. My only regret is the seat. I think the previous owner sold it to make up for his low price. It’s a great bike. I love the pre 09 RKs. I’ve got to many bikes and keep thinking of selling it, but change my mind every time I ride it.

Beary

Old 03-17-2018, 10:45 AM
scooper321
Road Master

That's a good point about the black bags. As a RK Custom owner, other ones always catch my eye. And I think the yellow ones really POP!!! But I've see that SG in yellow and this yellow RG. And it's too much. Great inspiration for possible "black out" ideas but I couldn't be happy with this.
Pictures of 04-07 RK Customs with RK Seats-photo676.jpg

That being said, a couple years ago I was close to selling my RK and buying a 2012 SG in Tequila Sunrise/Harley Orange two tone. With bags and a matching tour pack. No black. So yes, I'm a hypocrite.
Pictures of 04-07 RK Customs with RK Seats-photo259.jpg

And instead, I put a fairing on my RK
Pictures of 04-07 RK Customs with RK Seats-photo519.jpg

Last edited by scooper321; 03-17-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:53 AM
scooper321
Road Master

Still want a different seat, however!

Old 03-19-2018, 05:45 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Agree, the black saddle bags look great against the yellow.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:10 PM
MIRoadKing65
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scooper321
That doesn't look bad at all. And that's a pretty bulky seat, too. Nice to see a regular seat fits! I've got a Mustang wide touring for the FLHRS but it doesn't accept a rider back rest. I'd like to add a seat that supports a back rest and most of them are for standard touring bikes.
I have the Mustang seat on my 05 King Custom and it has the slot for mounting the factory backrest. I have the adjustable one on mine.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:18 PM
scooper321
Road Master

Originally Posted by MIRoadKing65
I have the Mustang seat on my 05 King Custom and it has the slot for mounting the factory backrest. I have the adjustable one on mine.
For some reason, the Mustang Wide Touring model that I have (for the RK Custom) specifically states not compatible with a back rest. There's no slot and the space between the pillion and the seat isn't really any space. The pillion fits tightly. I knew it when I bought the seat and it's been a great seat. I'll eventually change it, however, as I want a back rest for long rides. Don't need it for most of my rides, however.

Quick Reply: Pictures of 04-07 RK Customs with RK Seats