Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on this deal - '03 RG

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 02:24 PM
GittinThere
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Your thoughts on this deal - '03 RG

I'm a bit frustrated as I spent too long writing up a new post that was evidently too long - giving toooo much detail I suppose - that my login must have timed out! I'll try to get to the point faster this time!

Greetings guys, a new guy here but an old guy any place else! At 63 I'm ready to jump back into a sport I've loved most my life. I've not had a bike since way back early '80's but have maintained the endorsement on license because I always knew I'd return. Life takes many turns for all of us and those turns often have affect on other areas of life. Case in point:

After matrimony to my lovely bride I discovered after a few years that she was adamantly against us getting a HD. To be fair, her fear was that I'd get injured or worse and would not be able to help raise our 2 small kids. Ok. I get/got it. I backed off for a number of years and decided to revisit it about 4-1/2 years ago. Nope. STILL not having it! I was in need of a 'toy' so she was fine with a cage as my toy! So I went on the hunt for what I considered (and still do) one of the sharpest European (which I'm into) sporty cars and that is a 2006 BMW 330Ci coupe. Have enjoyed it tremendously but there's still that gnawing feeling of 'needing' a HD!

Fast forward about 2 months ago...We were out with my brother and his wife - who own and ride an Ultra Classic - and the subject came up about me getting a bike. To my absolute surprise she is now 'ok' with me getting one BUT I've got to sell the car as we'll need the garage space. She even indicated that she would periodically participate in some group riding! WHOA! I'm jumping on this

I placed the car on CL twice. ONE and TWO. I received a call from a guy with an '03 RG even though he apologetically said he knew it was not exactly what I stated in the ad that I was looking for but thought he's call anyway. I went yesterday afternoon to meet him at his home and look at the bike and show him the car. BTW he really liked the car! I really liked the bike too but...Just don't want to make a bad move. The bike is really nice condition tho dusty which he warned me when I called him. It's my color - black - and has some chrome appointments. I'll try to upload a few pics. It has 20K miles. He's second owner since 2009. He had HD punch it out to a 95" had them do the cam upgrade with gear drives, Rinehart pipes, detachable tour box, back rests, books, alarm fob, Service Manual, and more that I cant remember now. He is 75 years old and has been riding all his life and is a very active man in that he is a farmer as well as an excavator that still works! Actually we hit it off well because we have similar work ethics and both are self employed etc.

Would this be a good deal or should I keep looking? He told me to take my time to think about it as he is not actively trying to sell, says he happened upon my ad as he was looking to trade his dump truck and somehow started looking at the cars and mine popped out at him. What should I be aware of on these bikes so my eyes are wide open? Thank you for your input... I'll try to answer questions best I can...

Dale

Old 03-24-2018, 07:35 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,841 Likes on 826 Posts

If you want to trade for a bike, that's a great deal! Looks like new, and probably has been well maintained. I say ......... go for it. Road Glides are "the" popular Harley right now. Lots of extra goodies on the bike. Chrome front forks, Rinehart exhaust, rider backrest, and as you posted it has a 95" upgrade and the cam chain tensioners have been upgraded to gears. 20,000 miles isn't even broken in. Sweet ride.

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 03-24-2018 at 08:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GittinThere (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 07:50 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

How much would/could you sell your car for outright? Without knowing that, I can’t really weigh in on if it’s a good deal or not. Retail on the road glide is $9,000 on a good day.

Last edited by dawg; 03-24-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:54 PM
rottnutz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks well kept.

GittinThere (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 08:01 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

She's a beaut...don't see too many of those '03 Sharks. I vote yes (trade)...

GittinThere (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 08:04 PM
GittinThere
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
How much would/could you sell your car for outright? Without knowing that, I can’t really weigh in on if it’s a good deal or not. Retail on the road glide is $9,000 on a good day.
I would let it go reluctantly for $8500. From my research on KBB that's stretching it. From my searching on all the leading venues for selling cars/truck, there are not many of those listed and those that are simply are not as clean and well maintained as mine. I've seen them (even convertibles) in the $7xxx range.

My thought process is telling me that my car this time next year will be worth less than now but I think the RG will hold its own... I think it's almost a no brainer deal for me, though it's going to be very hard to let it go!

Old 03-24-2018, 08:15 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Originally Posted by GittinThere
I would let it go reluctantly for $8500. From my research on KBB that's stretching it. From my searching on all the leading venues for selling cars/truck, there are not many of those listed and those that are simply are not as clean and well maintained as mine. I've seen them (even convertibles) in the $7xxx range.

My thought process is telling me that my car this time next year will be worth less than now but I think the RG will hold its own... I think it's almost a no brainer deal for me, though it's going to be very hard to let it go!
I’d take the deal then.

GittinThere (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 09:11 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts

95BB + Cams is plenty of power. 20,000 miles can be done in one season. That's low miles. Plenty of chrome upgrades and you can't go wrong with RH slip ons. And its an anniversary.

Only thing that would stop me is the frame upgrade and wider back tire that came along in 09 was probably HD's best safety upgrade of all time, I never get any wobbles even at 100+. If you aren't into running high speeds the pre 09's have logged billions of miles that have brought bikers home safe. This was my biggest reason for making 09 my cutoff when out bagger shopping.

GittinThere (03-25-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 09:15 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts

I agree with Dawg’s first post. I’ve owned 3 Road Glides, great bikes. Spend some time on Craigslist looking and list your car and see what becomes of it. Either way I’d bet the bike will be there in a month and you may run into a deal. If you don’t look a bit, you won’t know.

GittinThere (03-25-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 09:18 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg

Not out here.....$6-7K tops.....even with all the goodies...just too many up for sale....

YMMV

Lon

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on this deal - '03 RG