Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Losing Air

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 10:21 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Tire Losing Air

Strangest thing, yes the rear tire on my bike is about 5 years old but it hasn't been ridden much (long story) and it is stored off of the ground on a bike jack when not being ridden. No visible dry rotting or cracks in the side wall.

I have Ride-On MC Sealant in the tires, replaced the valve core (checked for bubbling afterwards, no) and checked all surfaces of the tire for any punctures, tears, holes, foreign objects, etc with nothing visible.

Tire goes from 40psi to 13psi within a few days. I sprayed soapy water on the tire & sidewall surfaces and no bubbling was seen.

I would hate to pull the tire off but I guess I have no choice unless someone has something else I should be looking for.

My wife says it's from non-use.....Maybe????

Old 04-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,259 Likes on 6,015 Posts

if you're losing that much air in that short of time, I would pull the tire and really give it a look see.... there's got to be either something in the tread, leaking bead or valve stem. Those are the only three areas that will cause problems. Well there could be a porous wheel. Regardless I would pull the wheel and find a water tank large enough you can place part of the wheel/tire assembly in. Over inflate and look for bubbles....

and let us know what you find!!

Old 04-08-2018, 10:38 AM
dave grider
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Your tire is 5 yrs old replace it

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 10:39 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
if you're losing that much air in that short of time, I would pull the tire and really give it a look see.... there's got to be either something in the tread, leaking bead or valve stem. Those are the only three areas that will cause problems. Well there could be a porous wheel. Regardless I would pull the wheel and find a water tank large enough you can place part of the wheel/tire assembly in. Over inflate and look for bubbles....
and let us know what you find!!
yup, all that. i had one that would lose air over a couple days, it was the valve stem.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:41 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

As mentioned before, just replace it, and the front too. New set of rubber to start off the season.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:45 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cass
yup, all that. i had one that would lose air over a couple days, it was the valve stem.
No bubbling from around the stem to wheel or from the valve core which I replaced......

Checked all grooves and surfaces with a high powered light.......

It would have to be a large void since the Ride-On Sealant seals small voids.....nothing is visible.....

I filled the tire up to 40psi again today, if it loses air again in a few days, I'll pull it off.....

Old 04-08-2018, 11:07 AM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 238 Likes on 156 Posts

Sadly, tires and helmets should be replaced after 5 years regardless of wear or usage

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:26 AM
OkieBill
Club Member

Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

Honestly, a five-year old tire regardless of usage really needs replacing.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:29 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,504 Likes on 1,253 Posts

You have a puncture somewhere to let se that much psi. Change the tire.
Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Strangest thing, yes the rear tire on my bike is about 5 years old but it hasn't been ridden much (long story) and it is stored off of the ground on a bike jack when not being ridden. No visible dry rotting or cracks in the side wall.

I have Ride-On MC Sealant in the tires, replaced the valve core (checked for bubbling afterwards, no) and checked all surfaces of the tire for any punctures, tears, holes, foreign objects, etc with nothing visible.

Tire goes from 40psi to 13psi within a few days. I sprayed soapy water on the tire & sidewall surfaces and no bubbling was seen.

I would hate to pull the tire off but I guess I have no choice unless someone has something else I should be looking for.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:30 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,504 Likes on 1,253 Posts

You have a puncture somewhere to lose that much psi. Change the tire.
Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE

Quick Reply: Tire Losing Air