Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do Street Glide Specials cost more than an Ultra Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 04:21 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

SGS is accessorized to appeal the buyers where UC is plain and left you to put crap load of $$$$ in it to make it look appealing.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:33 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
On a recent thread, someone mentioned they paid $29.5 for a Street Glide Special. I thought that must be a Typo, but I checked the Harley Website, and the SGS is more than the FLHTCU.
Considering they don’t have to pay for chrome, and a light bar, shouldn’t they be less?
What’s the difference between a SGS and the old Electraglide Standards which were $15k if fuel injected?

It's economics 101......supply and demand........

YMMV

Lon

Old 04-20-2018, 06:46 PM
rtbuck89
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

Same reason a pair of jeans with pre-made holes are more expensive than a simple pair without holes. They are considered more "cool" and thus are more in demand.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:29 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,163 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
I think the LIMITED should be the one dropped. Nothing wrong with the Ultra at all. If folks want all the cute accessories of the Limited, let them pay for it. I don't need "cosmetics" over and above what the Ultra offers.
I'm not sure if you know this or not, but the folks that want the "cute" accessories of the Limited, do pay for it. It costs more than an Ultra to get the cute accessories. Cute stuff like liquid cooled heads, upgraded radio, heated grips, ABS, security and easier to clean wheels was all the cuteness i wanted. I think the only "cosmetics" that I got with my Limited was the 2 tone paint and the prizm styled emblems.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:36 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

It's the nature of the beast around here, I know, but how did this devolve into a discussion about models being dropped from the lineup and why are people's feelings being hurt over that imaginary scenario?

Old 04-20-2018, 07:54 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

It's all about supply and demand. Every time i see a Street Glide it reminds me of SUVs. Everybody owns one accept me. I drove SUV's when nobody did. Now i don't. Ultra's are better touring bikes and a better value. Price isn't everything. Most dealers around are overloaded with Street Glides. Why? They sell to the hey look at me i'm cool crowd that and they make a fortune off of those buyers trying to make them as comfy as an Ultra.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:37 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
Good old American economics: Supply & Demand. Doesn't has anything to do with the cost of producing them. More people want the SGS than the Ultra.
I'm surprised they still offer the Ultra. I would think the MoCo would drop it and bring back the Electra Glide Classic. Price it around $22,500- $22,900, it would fit in the lineup better & they'd sell a ton of them.
Absolutely, business 101 I recall the lecture from my college days.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:56 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
I'm not sure if you know this or not, but the folks that want the "cute" accessories of the Limited, do pay for it. It costs more than an Ultra to get the cute accessories. Cute stuff like liquid cooled heads, upgraded radio, heated grips, ABS, security and easier to clean wheels was all the cuteness i wanted. I think the only "cosmetics" that I got with my Limited was the 2 tone paint and the prizm styled emblems.
I didn't mean to "dis" the Limited by using the word "cute", so don't get offended.

Let me elaborate further: Outside of the liquid cooled heads(which I don't want anyway so I view as a negative, not a positive), I can put all the other items you listed on my Ultra. And that's my whole point. I DID put the upgraded radio on my Ultra and the nice luggage Tour Pak rack. I also had ABS and Security. I live in Charleston, SC, so heated grips are not high on my list of "must haves". So I did pay for those extras I wanted on the Ultra.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:40 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,163 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
I didn't mean to "dis" the Limited by using the word "cute", so don't get offended.

Let me elaborate further: Outside of the liquid cooled heads(which I don't want anyway so I view as a negative, not a positive), I can put all the other items you listed on my Ultra. And that's my whole point. I DID put the upgraded radio on my Ultra and the nice luggage Tour Pak rack. I also had ABS and Security. I live in Charleston, SC, so heated grips are not high on my list of "must haves". So I did pay for those extras I wanted on the Ultra.

No worries, I'm not offended.. I just wanted the niceties that were included in the Limited. I live in Iowa, the heated grips are a bonus at 37 degrees. I happened to really like the color of mine (Charcoal Pearl over Black). In actuality the only things I couldn't of cared less for were security, cb and the prizm emblems. For what I would have added to an Ultra, I would have paid more than i did my Limited.

it's how it always starts. Was looking at a SG, but wanted the 6.5 radio and Abs, so moved my shopping to SGS. Then figured I'd want a tour pack and a comfier seat for my wife, priced that and figured I'd look at an Ultra with a 6.5 radio and a detach kit. Needless to say, that's how it went, all the way to the Limited. It's always the "may as wells"that get ya!!!!

Old 04-21-2018, 04:01 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
Yep, have the detachable trunk kit installed and put the antenna in the fairing for about a grand and you have your SGS.
Unless you wanted
boom 1 speakers,
shiny inner fairing
upgraded wheels
stretched bags
big radio
ABS

I did the demodded Ultra, I switched to RGS.

Last edited by big papa AZ; 04-21-2018 at 04:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tony P (04-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Why do Street Glide Specials cost more than an Ultra Classic?