Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1/4" Allen bolt securing intake manifold is frozen

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 04:25 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default 1/4" Allen bolt securing intake manifold is frozen

trying to remove the intake manifold to pull the heads and cylinders, but the 1/4" allen head bolt that secures the intake manifold to the front head is stuck but good. I've been doing everything I can think of to keep from stripping it: I've used applied heat from a MAPP torch for 30 seconds (no-go), another 30 seconds (still no go) and then a full minute and still no go. I've tried using a hand-held impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer) with no like. Of course I've used ball-end wrenches and standard ones, with no luck. I just applied some PJ3 to see if that helps, but the bolt head is just about stripped at this point so I'm hoping that someone might have some magic trick I can try before I strip this sucker and have to resort to grinding off the head.

Any ideas out there? Any magic?

Old 05-20-2018, 04:59 PM
Just Mike
Road Warrior
Received 3,153 Likes on 996 Posts

Google CRC freeze off.

Penetrating oil with “Freon”

ive had good luck with it on rusty fasteners and steel fasteners in aluminum.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:00 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,986 Likes on 1,726 Posts

A fairly recent thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...olts-help.html might give you some ideas

Old 05-20-2018, 05:58 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

You may be able to remove the head that both bolts came out on, while leaving the manifold still attached to the other head. Will take a little maneuvering but should come out, once exhaust is out of the way. Then you can pull the other head off and get it in a place you can work on it better. I believe you can mount the head on a long tapered punch, through a head bolt hole, that is tightly screwed in a vice. That way you can get at the bolt better.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the great tips.

I used the wrench indicated in the FSM: 1/4" ball-end allen head, and I turned it with as much force as I was comfortable with, but no luck. I was able to get a square-end allen in there property seated, and applied more pressure but it wasn't budging. Put the hammer-type impact driver on the ball end and wacked in pretty good a dozen times or so, but no help. Then applied heat: no help. couldn't find Freeze Off locally so pulled out the pneumatic impact driver and hit it with the ball end. IT Hammered and hammerred but amazingly it didn't break loose and finally just stripped.

Guntoter, thanks for the pointed about getting the bolts off one side and then removing the heads. That worked out, and I can deal with the frozen bolt later, on my bench.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:41 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

I don't know if this will help, but PB Blaster penetrating oil is the best I've ever used. I think it puts Liquid Wrench to shame. Maybe spray it down with that and let it soak for a day before trying to get it out. This is too late but I would never use excessive force, especially an impact tool, with a ball end Allen wrench. That's a recipe for a stripped bolt head every time.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:18 AM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skydude426
I don't know if this will help, but PB Blaster penetrating oil is the best I've ever used. I think it puts Liquid Wrench to shame. Maybe spray it down with that and let it soak for a day before trying to get it out. This is too late but I would never use excessive force, especially an impact tool, with a ball end Allen wrench. That's a recipe for a stripped bolt head every time.
I really needed to get those heads off today and resorted to the impact knowing it would likely fail, but everything else had already failed so it was a last-ditch effort. With the head off now it wont take but 5 minutes to grind off the bolt head at which point I should be able to back our the bolt shaft with vice grips.

PB Blaster is soaking in as we speak, so I may still be able to get it out.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:55 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,016 Likes on 2,820 Posts

A LITTLE bit of heat will hep the PB Blaster to wick down the threads.