Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 08:43 AM
rponycar
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust advice please...

Hi Folks, Total newb here. Got my first Harley Davidson about a month ago. Stock 2010 Ultra Limited.
My first question: How can I best get away from the quiet stock pipes, (get loud), without requiring something like a power commander, or causing an unwanted byproduct like power loss or lean condition, running hotter?
Many thanks
r

Old 07-12-2018, 08:57 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,069 Likes on 617 Posts

Some will tell you that these bikes already run lean from the factory due to EPA regs and that if you change anything you should get something to add fuel back. Some will tell you that if you only change exhaust you are ok.

My feeling is that unless you went with straight pipes you are probably ok.

If you put on a louder slip on you probably don't need to worry about it if you leave the rest alone. Will you lose some power? yeah maybe a little but you may not notice. The more open (louder) your exhaust choice is the more back pressure you are losing and the more power you will lose. But it does not seem that you are interested in tuning and building the bike for power.
These things are like any other hobby and toy. Once you start you won't stop. So you are going to do the exhaust, then change your mind and want to do the intake which then requires a tuner of some sort to match the fuel to the new airflow. I would just do it all at once and be done but you could totally run a season with just different slip ons and shouldn't have to worry about damage.

The following users liked this post:
rponycar (07-14-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 02:52 PM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

If your bike is fuel injected, your going to get a fuel management system eventually. I say this because 1. eventually your going to want to make a mod that requires it, maybe not this time but your options for making mods to your bike are very limited without one and 2, after putting one on my bike, I realized I now have total control over how the bike runs. I can make any change I want and find the sweet spot for that mod. If think making changes to the fuel mgmt system is hard, its not. I'm no mechanic so believe me when I tell you that dialing in your bike with your laptop is as easy as selecting a setting and taking it for a short ride. if it pops on decel, change the setting and take another ride until you dial it in. no big deal and it gives you total control over any mods you want to make in the future.

rponycar (07-14-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 04:24 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

I've owned Harleys since the 1970s and to be frank, nothing has changed. Back then our bikes all had carbs and many owners would swap mufflers, leave them off, fit drag pipes, remove the airbox, install an aftermarket cam, you name it. Few if any of them ran really well, unless they were carefully tuned, normally by someone who knew what he was doing. A similar comment can be made today, the difference being that we now have the internet and countless 'experts'......

You will have to make your own mind up on any changes you make. If you swap to loud mufflers you may well find that your bike doesn't ride very well and - well you can guess the rest!

rponycar (07-14-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 04:39 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Originally Posted by rponycar
Hi Folks, Total newb here. Got my first Harley Davidson about a month ago. Stock 2010 Ultra Limited.
My first question: How can I best get away from the quiet stock pipes, (get loud), without requiring something like a power commander, or causing an unwanted byproduct like power loss or lean condition, running hotter?
Many thanks
r
First question always should be on a "new" used bike, what's been done on it already? Completely stock? Stage 1? Or something more? Very unlikely that a 2010 Ultra stayed mechanically stock for the past 8 years.

rponycar (07-14-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 05:49 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

If ya just want to make noise, go for it. If ya care about it running right or lasting the answer is always a proper tune...

rponycar (07-14-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 06:32 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Do some research. Give Doc a call in Minneola Fl www.docsperformancetuning.com. 352-404-6999. 317 E Washington St. unit A Minneola, Florida 34715 Call Doc and get the info you need. I've used him for years and always been very satisfied. Hope this helps.

rponycar (07-14-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 07:10 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Welcome to the world of Harley Davidson. How much money do you have to spend? We on the forum will be happy to help you spend it.

Once you start modifications, especially on your first Harley, it will slowly become a never ending money pit. First slipon's to get that Harley sound. Opinions vary but mine says probably no additional tuner needed for simple slipon's. Then you will want a little more performance and add a high flow intake like a Big Sucker. Now a tuner is definitely needed so you buy a tuner online and do it yourself or take it to an Indy to get dyno tuned. Now it's too loud to hear the stereo. You've grown to really like the tunes so you buy an amp and new speakers. It's really awesome now so you want a little more and put cams in it. New trip to the dyno or change the map on your do it yourself.

Now while these changes are going, at the same time, you realize the bike is not quite as comfy as you like on longer rides and the stock seat sucks so you get a new seat. You then realize the handlebars aren't quite right so you get those too.

All the above doesn't include the little chrome doodads and tidbits you add to make it "you're own"

Don't get scared. Everyone on this forum has been there, done that. After four Harleys, I'm keeping the two I have until they are beyond repair and my fifth, I will keep stock and ride the crap out of it as is. I will spend my money on something more important, like beer.

As to your original question, as I said before, if you just go with slipon's, you will be fine without a tuner but it will run better and cooler with one.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Keep reading here. You will learn a lot and go broke at the same time.

rponycar (07-14-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:27 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts

As far as i know, 2010 had a catalytic converter in the header.
looks like this;

As you can see there's a fair amount of material there, and while not necessarily overly restrictive, it does a fair amount of muffling. You will be limited to how "loud" you will be able to get your bike with the stock header in place. Some get new headers, some remove the cat from the stock one. Either will make more dBs but once you do thst, it is highly advised to get a proper tuner. Some get by with the simplest solution like the Xieds;
http://sales.nightrider.com/xied.html
I've never used them, but many have and they like them. The Fuel Moto Micro tuner is cost effective and very effective. I use a PowerVision for best flexibility, again purchased from Fuel Moto. You get a lifetime of support and free maps whenever you change something. I added a Fuel Moto Super Duals header and HiRoller mufflers. Not obnoxiously loud. They can tell you loud with best performance.

I don't work for FM, but they have quality products and support.

rponycar (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 12:21 PM
rponycar
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, thanks folks. I like this crowd. Lot's of good friendly advise. Looks like I may need a second job to support my new habit!

Quick Reply: Exhaust advice please...