Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Docking hardware covers dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 11:07 PM
bbissell
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

I hated that also so I took them apart and had them powder coated when I was doing a few other things. Much better now

Old 07-21-2018, 11:21 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I considered the same thing recently. My dealers stocks aftermarket covers that looks like grenades. I don't like the look. And all for ninety bucks all in.

So I thought...are you out of your mind? Like, who cares?

So I passed. I'm pleased with my decision.
​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
Old Iron Man (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 11:20 PM
Old Iron Man
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Don't buy these

Originally Posted by Old Iron Man

Good point. Seriously, what am I thinking? Actually, I did find some through another poster here that had the offset lengths. Cool looking billet style, and cost as much as HD, so at least I’m contributing to the economy. Getting them tomorrow. The company is called Pro Pad. They sell them on their website, but you can pay for them with your Amazon acct. https://www.thepropad.com/billet-doc...ion-cap-black/
Don't buy these. The long ones did not completely cover. They are going back. I also found out they do in fact make the smooth ones, but I don't trust that those will cover either, so I'm not going to try them.

ProPad's website advertising shot. Do these look like they completely cover? Yes, I believe they do.

Chinese cheap knock offs on left I was using until the ProPads arrived. Magnets fell right out on first use. Pro Pads on left don't cover the whole post. Not even the short one.
It's a small amount uncovered but wtf Pro Pad?

Old 07-26-2018, 12:05 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

That's a bummer.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:01 PM
John Vitale
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Old Iron Man, this is John from PPI who makes the docking station caps you have in the pictures. Our dock caps do cover the entire nub both front and back. Where the challenge comes in where some dock station kits are actually different lengths than the OEM HD mounts. And are adjustable by adding or removing washers/shims. We also recommend that if your dock mount bushings have a button head bolt on the end holding it all together, you should replace those bolts with counter sink flat head so the caps sit flush to the dock mount.The long nub on a stock HD mount is 1-13/16" and the short one is 13/16". If either are longer than mentioned, our caps won't fully cover them.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:53 PM
boasty
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by John Vitale
Hi Old Iron Man, this is John from PPI who makes the docking station caps you have in the pictures. Our dock caps do cover the entire nub both front and back. Where the challenge comes in where some dock station kits are actually different lengths than the OEM HD mounts. And are adjustable by adding or removing washers/shims. We also recommend that if your dock mount bushings have a button head bolt on the end holding it all together, you should replace those bolts with counter sink flat head so the caps sit flush to the dock mount.The long nub on a stock HD mount is 1-13/16" and the short one is 13/16". If either are longer than mentioned, our caps won't fully cover them.

2 year old post I bet he already shipped it back by now

Old 05-14-2020, 08:13 PM
John Vitale
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boasty
2 year old post I bet he already shipped it back by now
Someone called me last week Asking about it and reference his post. The interesting thing about message boards is the information has no expiration date.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:25 PM
jrmicko19
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I ordered mine based off this. Still waiting for them to come in.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:02 AM
Sethc1020
Tourer
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

All I can say is that you have to REALLY hate the docking to want to spend $75 just to hide the posts.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:07 PM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I use to have a set a long time ago, but somebody wanted them or needed them worst that I did.

Quick Reply: Docking hardware covers dumb question