Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Fan assisted oil cooler kit for M8 engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 07:18 AM
XXTHESANDMANXX
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
For the benefit of others, if you live in a traffic clogged state like Florida, an oil cooler will be of some help keeping oil cooler in traffic. Its not the heat in Florida its the traffic as other states are much hotter in the summer such as mine here is SC.

The reason most bike makers do not include a fan is the faster you go, the hotter your oil gets, not the other way around.

So if your traveling (like we do) on the interstates. 2up at a true 80 MPH, when massive amounts of air are blowing through the cooler, far more then any fan can deliver, that is when your oil is the hottest, once you slow down, to normal stop and go traffic, you oil cools down rapidly all with no fan.

The reason your oil is hottest at the highest possible speeds, again with massive amounts of air blowing through the cooler is simple. The engine is designed to spray oil on the bottom of the pistons at high speeds to cool the pistons down, this is what heats up the oil and why no fan, at low speeds they are no longer effectively sprayed and your oil cools down all by itself.

If your worried about stopped in traffic you are FAR better off with a fan that blows on the heads of the engine, more then any cooler fan. Lenale and Love Jugs.
I have the Lenal and like it because it looks a hell of a lot nicer then the horn, max cooling will come from love juggs though. An oil cooler is not going to help cool the heads of the engine.

Oh and while we are at it, most do not know the normal operating temperature of the oil as stated in the Shop Manual.
The normal operating temperature of the oil is listed as 230 degrees.
For those of you with a PROPER oil temperature guage, travel at 80 MPH for 30 minutes or longer on a almost 100 degree day, as soon as possible stop the bike and measure oil temperature. You will find it around 250 to 260 degrees, then ride around town, you will see it drop 20 degrees, all without a fan.

If you have a water cooled bike, adding a fan is a waste as the fan on the radiators will keep the engine cool which will keep the oil cool.
If you dont have a water cooled fan and are worried about stuck in traffic overheating, then get an engine fan, not an oil cooler fan.
that makes a lot of sense. now I dont feel bad that they dont make it for the M8 low rider

Old 08-12-2018, 03:20 PM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

If you are moving 80mph the air is pushed into the oil cooler at about that speed.

I am thinking the fan will not kick in at speed because it would not do any good.

At slow speed or stopped the fan will draw more air into the oil cooler than without the fan.

So if I do not ride slow and almost never idle for any length of time, the fan is not worth my money.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Dang, and I needed to spend money on something.

The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (08-29-2019)
Old 08-12-2018, 03:36 PM
bfd317
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Surdyke part # 26800095 $140.67.

With a little modification of your stock oil cooler this will fit. You have to cut off the mounting tabs to make it work. Look at the picture on the hd website to see what needs to be removed.

And yes, this will work with the stock oil cooler cover.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:03 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 675 Likes on 373 Posts

Well, I've only got two days of riding to report. Obviously the cooler fan kit makes zero difference if you are riding at speed.
It seems to make a lot of difference in summertime stop and go driving, of which there is a lot in Huntington Beach during the tourist season.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:17 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 263 Likes on 225 Posts

Well my 900 Vulcan had a fan that came on like twice in two years . My ultra cooler EG 88ci comes on just a bit more as a drive it more so really about the same. Point is they put it on a cheap bike but not top of the line US bike, it only cost $140 to me that's just sad. I get that most people don't drive these bikes so there for it's not needed but some of us drive every chance we get.

Last edited by xcbullet; 08-12-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:58 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by PDB17UltraRG
I watched a utube video with a guy testing the cooler with a laser temp reader he was getting 50 degrees each time he engaged the fan. Should have save the site to share. Nice info going to install one on my bike soon.
That you tube video is worthless. It doesnt show what the oil temperature is, it shows the surface temperature of the cooler case, completely worthless.

You measure oil temperature by measuring the temperature of the oil. Its called an oil temperature sensor and or oil temperature gauge. You cannot possibly have any idea what temperature the oil is by any other means.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:32 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,575 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
So if your traveling (like we do) on the interstates. 2up at a true 80 MPH, when massive amounts of air are blowing through the cooler, far more then any fan can deliver, that is when your oil is the hottest, once you slow down, to normal stop and go traffic, you oil cools down rapidly all with no fan..
I disagree with your statement. After getting the oil hot from riding at speed and higher RPM, when you stop there is no air flow through the cooler and it really doesn't do much. My oil never cooled down more than a degree or 2 while stopped at a light before I got my fan. But with the fan, I've seen it cool down drastically when I stop at a light after riding. However, if you live in a cooler state, where you might be riding in mid 70s rather than mid 90s in the summer, that might make a difference.

Bottom line, I was seeing temps over 250 regularly without my fan and EITMS enabled, and now its rare that I hit 230 without EITMS.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:39 AM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The following users liked this post:
XXTHESANDMANXX (08-13-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 08:34 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 675 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
I disagree with your statement. After getting the oil hot from riding at speed and higher RPM, when you stop there is no air flow through the cooler and it really doesn't do much. My oil never cooled down more than a degree or 2 while stopped at a light before I got my fan. But with the fan, I've seen it cool down drastically when I stop at a light after riding. However, if you live in a cooler state, where you might be riding in mid 70s rather than mid 90s in the summer, that might make a difference.

Bottom line, I was seeing temps over 250 regularly without my fan and EITMS enabled, and now its rare that I hit 230 without EITMS.
This is roughly what I am seeing. For stop and go riding there is a very noticeable improvement in cooling.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:55 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

I think you guys are right being the new M8s circulate oil around the valves it may not cool down as it does on the Rushmores when no longer riding at high speeds.
Nothing at all wrong with having a fan on the cooler and a nice option for the M8s

Just wanted to say this, so you didnt take my post the wrong way.

I will say, if your stuck in traffic and do not have the water cooled engine an engine fan will be much greater help then oil cooler BUT at least on the M8s you are circulating a little oil around the valves which helps to cool.
Anyway wanted to make clear, if I had the option on a Rushmore for a factory fan on the cooler I would have one and when/if the day comes for an M8 I will have one!

Last edited by alarmdoug; 08-14-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: HD Fan assisted oil cooler kit for M8 engines